Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

On prank call, Wis. governor discusses strategy
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
On prank call, Wis. governor discusses strategy
Another BLUE Light Drudge Special...... Oh nevermind.....................

MADISON, Wis. – On a prank call that quickly spread across the Internet, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was duped into discussing his strategy to cripple public employee unions, promising never to give in and joking that he would use a baseball bat in his office to go after political opponents.

Walker believed the caller was a conservative billionaire named David Koch, but it was actually a liberal blogger. The two talked for at least 20 minutes — a conversation in which the governor described several potential ways to pressure Democrats to return to the Statehouse and revealed that his supporters had considered secretly planting people in pro-union protest crowds to stir up trouble.

[Related: Largest labor unions in the U.S.]

The call also revealed Walker's cozy relationship with two billionaire brothers who have poured millions of dollars into conservative political causes, including Walker's campaign last year.

Walker compared his stand to that taken by President Ronald Reagan when he fired the nation's air-traffic controllers during a labor dispute in 1981.

"That was the first crack in the Berlin Wall and led to the fall of the Soviets," Walker said on the recording.

The audio was posted on the Buffalo Beast, a left-leaning website in New York, and quickly went viral.

[Related: What is a right-to-work law?]

Editor Ian Murphy told The Associated Press he carried out the prank to show how candidly Koch would speak with Walker even though, according to Democrats, he refuses to return their calls.

Murphy said he arranged the call Tuesday after speaking with two Walker aides, including his chief of staff. He made the call using Skype and recorded it.

Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie confirmed that it Walker's voice on the call.

The governor said he was ratcheting up the pressure on Senate Democrats to return to the Capitol a week after they fled to block the legislation. He said he supported a move to require them to come to the Capitol to pick up their paychecks rather than have them deposited directly.

[Related: History of stalling tactics in politics]

He also floated an idea to lure Democratic senators back to the Capitol for negotiations and then have the Senate quickly pass the bill while they are in talks.

Walker said aides were reviewing whether the GOP could hold a vote if Democrats were not physically in the Senate chamber but elsewhere in the building.

Democrats seized on Walker's recorded comments as evidence that the governor plans to go beyond budget cuts to crushing unions.

"This isn't about balancing the budget. This is about a political war," Rep. Jon Richards of Milwaukee yelled Wednesday on the floor of the state Assembly.

[Related: First person: Wis. budget bill threatens my family]

The governor's plan would strip most public employees of their collective bargaining rights and force them to pay more for their health care and retirement benefits. Unions could not collect mandatory dues and would face a vote of its members every year to stay in existence.

The proposal has set off more than a week of protests at the Capitol.

The GOP-controlled state Assembly began debating the bill Tuesday and was still hearing dozens of Democratic amendments nearly 24 hours later before taking a break. Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald said he expected to take a vote on the bill by the end of the day.

On the call, Walker said he expected the anti-union movement to spread across the country and he had spoken with the governors of Ohio and Nevada. The man pretending to be Koch seemed to agree, telling Walker, "You're the first domino."

"Yep, this is our moment," Walker responded.

The remarks showed Walker's private relationship with David Koch. He and his brother, Charles, own Koch Industries Inc., which is the largest privately-owned company in America and has significant operations in Wisconsin.

Its political action committee gave $43,000 to Walker's campaign, and David Koch gave $1 million to the Republican Governors' Association, which funded ads attacking Walker's opponent in last year's election.

[Related: Comparison of state anti-union bills]

The Kochs also give millions to support Americans For Prosperity, a conservative business group that launched a $320,000 television ad campaign in favor of Walker's legislation Wednesday.

On the recording, after Walker said he would be willing to meet with Democratic leaders, the caller said he should bring a baseball bat to negotiations.

Walker laughed and responded that he had "a slugger with my name on it."

The caller suggested he was thinking about "planting some troublemakers" among the protesters, and Walker said his administration had thought about doing that, too, but decided against it. Walker said the protests eventually would die because the media would stop covering them.

At the end of the call, the prankster says: "I'll tell you what Scott, once you crush these bastards, I'll fly you out to Cali and really show you a good time."

"All right, that would be outstanding," Walker replies, adding that the standoff is "all about getting our freedoms back"

The caller: "Absolutely. And you know, we have a little bit of vested interest as well" and laughs.

Werwie, the governor's spokesman, said the phone call "shows that the governor says the same thing in private as he does in public and the lengths that others will go to disrupt the civil debate Wisconsin is having."

Walker's budget bill also allows his administration to sell power plants that heat and cool state buildings to private companies without any bids.

Critics have seized on this provision, saying they are convinced the Koch brothers' business interests would be able to buy power plants on the cheap, and then profit by running them and driving up the price of energy.

Koch Industries has denied any interest in buying the plants, and Walker's administration argues the private sector, not state government, should run the facilities. Republicans tried to privatize Wisconsin's power plants in 2005, but the plan was vetoed by Gov. Jim Doyle.

Immediately after taking office, Walker also pushed for legislation that would limit damage awards in lawsuits against many businesses.

Koch Industries lobbied for the bill, and Walker signed it into law last month. Walker is also pushing for another Koch Industries-backed bill to weaken state regulations by giving him the power to approve all rules proposed by agencies, a proposal that is moving quickly through the Legislature.

Koch Industries recently opened a lobbying office in downtown Madison a block from the Capitol. Seven lobbyists have registered in Wisconsin to lobby for various Koch Industries companies.

Even before recordings of the call surfaced, the government watchdog group Common Cause in Wisconsin released a statement saying Walker's agenda matched with that of Koch Industries.

"Koch Industries and other corporate citizens have legitimate interests in Wisconsin, but their demonstrated willingness to push large amounts of money into state politics has given them a dangerously outsized voice," said Bob Edgar, the group's national president. That voice, he said, is "now demanding a return on its investments."
02-23-2011 04:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: On prank call, Wis. governor discusses strategy
Embarassing that he let himself get duped but nothing in the call was that bad... no worase than walking out of the state in session to prevent a vote..
02-23-2011 04:33 PM
Machiavelli Offline

thinking about planting nutjobs in the crowd.................. The Koch bros. getting instant access? You must like your politicians bought and paid for. I guess you believe crushing unions is all about a budget too.
02-23-2011 04:39 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(02-23-2011 04:39 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  thinking about planting nutjobs in the crowd.................. The Koch bros. getting instant access? You must like your politicians bought and paid for. I guess you believe crushing unions is all about a budget too.

You bat do that ALL the damn time! You bus people in from all over the country to your rallies. Puhf'nleeze.

BTW, Obama is bought and paid for by George Soros.
02-23-2011 04:44 PM
Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 04:52 PM by mlb.)
02-23-2011 04:46 PM
TomorrowHerd Offline
Protecting the Northern Flank

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
(02-23-2011 04:39 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  thinking about planting nutjobs in the crowd.................. The Koch bros. getting instant access? You must like your politicians bought and paid for. I guess you believe crushing unions is all about a budget too.

How is this different from ANY union organized activity?
He is just planning on doing what the unions have done for decades.
02-23-2011 04:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

Planting nutjobs in the crowd is something both sides do, and you're right its pretty lame... But the plants at the tea parties were as bad, if not worse, than whats being talked about here.

Instant access? The SEIU treasurer has visited the white house nearly 100 times in two years... Please lets not pretend either side does not allow donors access. I have *no* issue with allowing anyone for any reason access (on either side)...

What I have an issue with is a politician changing their position because of that access.

I don't happen to believe that (1) limiting collecting bargaining to salary issues and (2) making the unions collect their own damn dues is "crushing a union"

I also have an issue with public employee unions... You know unions giving millions of dollars to the people who will set their salary... Souds kind of "bought and paid for" don't you think?
02-23-2011 04:49 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(02-23-2011 04:30 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  The caller suggested he was thinking about "planting some troublemakers" among the protesters, and Walker said his administration had thought about doing that, too, but decided against it.

Hmmm, wonder were such an idea as that came from.

(02-23-2011 04:30 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Werwie, the governor's spokesman, said the phone call "shows that the governor says the same thing in private as he does in public and the lengths that others will go to disrupt the civil debate Wisconsin is having."

Like leaving the state?
02-23-2011 04:49 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(02-23-2011 04:39 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  thinking about planting nutjobs in the crowd..................

The important part... they decided not to sink to the Dims level.
02-23-2011 04:54 PM
Machiavelli Offline

It does a hell of alot more than these two things:

(1) limiting collecting bargaining to salary issues and (2) making the unions collect their own damn dues is "crushing a union"

Read Ohio's Senate Bill 5 with a google search and I guess Wisconsin's is worse. The carzy thing. I bet Wisconsin and Indiana hold the line and Ohio's unions go up in smoke. We'll see.
02-23-2011 04:57 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-23-2011 04:57 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  It does a hell of alot more than these two things:

(1) limiting collecting bargaining to salary issues and (2) making the unions collect their own damn dues is "crushing a union"

Read Ohio's Senate Bill 5 with a google search and I guess Wisconsin's is worse. The carzy thing. I bet Wisconsin and Indiana hold the line and Ohio's unions go up in smoke. We'll see.

ummm how about you tell me whats worse in Wisconsin's bill rather than point me at Ohio's for comparison ok?
02-23-2011 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

From what I've read the bills in Wisc, NJ, Indiana, and Ohio are similiar in nature if not exact copies of each other. I can speak of Ohio's because I have read Ohio's I have not read Wisconsin's.

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

–Pastor Martin Niemöller
02-23-2011 05:08 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(02-23-2011 04:49 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  I don't happen to believe that (1) limiting collecting bargaining to salary issues and (2) making the unions collect their own damn dues is "crushing a union"

I also have an issue with public employee unions... You know unions giving millions of dollars to the people who will set their salary... Souds kind of "bought and paid for" don't you think?

You hit the unspoken point there, BB. Making the unions collect their own dues, rather than have the state or government entity like a school district do the collecting for them WOULD destroy the union and they damn well know it - it is one reason they are fighting so hard against Walker. If you get rid of forced unionism and create a law where dues must be paid by members directly, there goes their POWER. Lots of folks would opt to not pay the dues. Hence the need to confiscate them.

Liberal, union-minded folks outnumber their conservative colleagues by a large margin in education. There are few states with a law that allows for teachers (or members of other public employee unions) to OPT-OUT of the portion of their dues used for political purposes. Should those laws be enacted, the union loses power. They know it all too well.

I did have to laugh at the statement about the "civil debate" they are having in Wisconsin.

I caught a snippet of Limbaugh today while in my car and he made a brilliant point. Public sector unions are, in essence, the first step in a giant money laundering operation for the Democrat party.
02-23-2011 05:10 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-23-2011 05:08 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  From what I've read the bills in Wisc, NJ, Indiana, and Ohio are similiar in nature if not exact copies of each other. I can speak of Ohio's because I have read Ohio's I have not read Wisconsin's.

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

–Pastor Martin Niemöller

ok so give me the jist of whats so bad about the Wisconsin Measure?

--

And of course our friend Goodwin makes an entrance...
02-23-2011 05:10 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

States are out of money AND looking for a way to attract jobs. If the people of any state out there don't want to deal with their union problem, that's OK. The rest of us welcome the jobs.
02-23-2011 05:12 PM
Machiavelli Offline

For anyone to compare Hitler to Obama it drips it irony...................

Now I've been trying to avoid this site while this bruhaha is going on. A couple of things. If the Senate Bill 5 passes I will have an immediate 20000 dollar pay cut and pay 4000 dollars more for my insurance. That's why there is no way it could possibly pass in it's form and was sloppily put together. I thought in general you guy's were against Class Warfare. I can't fathom the idea that we bailed out Wall Street but are willing to bend over Teachers, Firemen, and Police. I don't get it, but I have a vested interest and I realize that clouds my opinion. I can't imagine feeling triumphant or cheering on a 30% cut in pay for anyone on here. I don't work that way. I'm going to make a conscious effort to stay off of here. Knowing that, if you ask a courteous question about any of the things going on. I will try my best to answer. Things are pretty uneasy at my place of employment. BTW My school has a budget surplus over 2 million. We are not affected by any state cuts. However, some on our school board will try to use the legislation as a bludgeon. I have no idea what the future holds.
02-23-2011 05:23 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-23-2011 05:23 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  For anyone to compare Hitler to Obama it drips it irony...................

Now I've been trying to avoid this site while this bruhaha is going on. A couple of things. If the Senate Bill 5 passes I will have an immediate 20000 dollar pay cut and pay 4000 dollars more for my insurance. That's why there is no way it could possibly pass in it's form and was sloppily put together. I thought in general you guy's were against Class Warfare. I can't fathom the idea that we bailed out Wall Street but are willing to bend over Teachers, Firemen, and Police. I don't get it, but I have a vested interest and I realize that clouds my opinion. I can't imagine feeling triumphant or cheering on a 30% cut in pay for anyone on here. I don't work that way. I'm going to make a conscious effort to stay off of here. Knowing that, if you ask a courteous question about any of the things going on. I will try my best to answer. Things are pretty uneasy at my place of employment. BTW My school has a budget surplus over 2 million. We are not affected by any state cuts. However, some on our school board will try to use the legislation as a bludgeon. I have no idea what the future holds.

That is not whats being talked about in Wisconsin.!!!

FWIW I don't think we should have bailed out wall street but that fails on two levels... (1) Two wrongs don't make a right and (2) it was the feds, not the state that made the error of sending money to greedy and foolish bankers.

Seeing a pay cut of 20K (is that pay along or pay and benefits) and medical going up 4K is meaningless without a baseline. What is your salary and what do you pay now for medical benefits?
02-23-2011 05:27 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I really dont want to get into salary but if you take a 30% hit and that hit is 20,000. It's a nice round number. We just switched to HSA's we don't pay premiums for two years and the max I can pay out of pocket is 4800 dollars. I have no idea how this new legislation would affect HSA's. Their higher deductibles but lower premiums. We have negotiated no premiums for us switching to the new HSA's. It save the school district 400,000 in the first year. We recieved salary step increases for us taking the switch. I have no idea how this new legislation could fit that square peg into a round hole. The legislation bans salry step increases for merit pay. It does not explain the rubric for merit pay. To tell you the TRUTH. It's pulling a rug out from beneath your feet. I don't think much thought went into it.
02-23-2011 05:34 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Bull

You understand I haven't read Wisconsin's bill. Only that it's reported that it's very similiar to Ohio's legislation. If you would like I can post SB% here. It's unbelievable in complexity and scope.
02-23-2011 05:37 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(02-23-2011 05:34 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I really dont want to get into salary but if you take a 30% hit and that hit is 20,000.

$69,000

If your going to tell everyone, whats the point is saying you don't want to?
02-23-2011 05:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.