Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The only thing about the Jack that sucks
Bookmark and Share
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
The only thing about the Jack that sucks
is the PA system, and it has since day one. It's always hard to hear and understand, but last night the PA guy was reading the Newell introduction, and he was reading it so fast that I hardly heared anything he was saying. He talks too fast. Bring back the Birdman or the "Kid". It's the same for the girls game too. Can't hear or understand Dave Woodman either, so it's got to be the sound system.
01-30-2011 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bigdhl Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: The only thing about the Jack that sucks
this is my thought about the Jack. You guys may think I'm just picking but really this is my thoughts.

My biggest complaint is with the attendants. I don't think I've yet met one that was polite to the visitors. It's like they are coaxed to make the experience bad for their visitors from ASU.. Maybe it's just because of us being instate rivals. I mean If you try and get a ticket unless you tell them you are a UALR fan they go out of their way to say they don't want you coming. I've heard this complaint numerous times from different fans.

I would like to compliment one older gentleman that was a fan and he said proud to have you hear we love to take your money.
01-30-2011 10:02 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2011 10:02 PM)bigdhl Wrote:  this is my thought about the Jack. You guys may think I'm just picking but really this is my thoughts.

My biggest complaint is with the attendants. I don't think I've yet met one that was polite to the visitors. It's like they are coaxed to make the experience bad for their visitors from ASU.. Maybe it's just because of us being instate rivals. I mean If you try and get a ticket unless you tell them you are a UALR fan they go out of their way to say they don't want you coming. I've heard this complaint numerous times from different fans.

I would like to compliment one older gentleman that was a fan and he said proud to have you hear we love to take your money.

They say we don't have the money to buy out coaches contracts, so keep coming to the games anyway, we need the money.
01-30-2011 10:10 PM
bigdhl Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-30-2011 10:10 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(01-30-2011 10:02 PM)bigdhl Wrote:  this is my thought about the Jack. You guys may think I'm just picking but really this is my thoughts.

They say we don't have the money to buy out coaches contracts, so keep coming to the games anyway, we need the money.
I will, I love an instate rivalry. Glad ASU and UALR know what that is.
01-30-2011 10:22 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU

Your first encounter with the Jack Stephens Center Seat Police huh? No one, and I mean no one likes them or the way they do things. It is absurd the way they treat home fans and visitors alike.
01-30-2011 11:30 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
It's not an especially friendly environment and I'm not talking about the fans. The parking guys joked that parking was $5 a person rather than car for ASU fans but was very jovial about it, had no issue with it and shared a laugh. Once inside the doors, other than the groups working concession stands, not a welcoming environment and from what I could tell, not especially glad to see anyone there regardless of shirt logo. It was the same last year.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2011 12:56 PM by arkstfan.)
01-31-2011 12:55 PM
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
yeah, they're pretty much like that with everyone, home or away. Probably one of a myriad of reasons why we don't put a lot of butts in the seats.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2011 08:04 PM by eh9198.)
01-31-2011 07:45 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR
I remember a few years ago at a game, two ladies came down to the leather seat section in the 2nd half to occupy two of the ghost's seats. After a few minutes, the seat police came down to check their tickets and told them they needed to return to their assigned seats. The ladies asked why they couldn't sit in the empty seats since there was several empty and that they would move if someone came to claim their seat. Of course the seat police was not having it. The ladies grudgingly moved but I heard them say I'm never coming back to this MF again and so on. I'm sure this has happen on more than this occasion.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2011 07:58 PM by LR Alum.)
01-31-2011 07:57 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2011 07:57 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  I remember a few years ago at a game, two ladies came down to the leather seat section in the 2nd half to occupy two of the ghost's seats. After a few minutes, the seat police came down to check their tickets and told them they needed to return to their assigned seats. The ladies asked why they couldn't sit in the empty seats since there was several empty and that they would move if someone came to claim their seat. Of course the seat police was not having it. The ladies grudgingly moved but I heard them say I'm never coming back to this MF again and so on. I'm sure this has happen on more than this occasion.

I can see the argument for monitoring seats the first half of the game. After halftime I can't see any reason not to let folks sit in empty seats.
01-31-2011 08:06 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2011 08:06 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-31-2011 07:57 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  I remember a few years ago at a game, two ladies came down to the leather seat section in the 2nd half to occupy two of the ghost's seats. After a few minutes, the seat police came down to check their tickets and told them they needed to return to their assigned seats. The ladies asked why they couldn't sit in the empty seats since there was several empty and that they would move if someone came to claim their seat. Of course the seat police was not having it. The ladies grudgingly moved but I heard them say I'm never coming back to this MF again and so on. I'm sure this has happen on more than this occasion.

I can see the argument for monitoring seats the first half of the game. After halftime I can't see any reason not to let folks sit in empty seats.

Maybe I should add an addendum to the above. Seat police should continue to do their job during the ASU game. A lot of leather seats around me were empty, like usual, for the ASU game. I really don't want to find myself surrounded by ASU fans for the second half- especially when we are getting our butts kicked.
01-31-2011 08:09 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2011 08:09 PM)mjs Wrote:  Maybe I should add an addendum to the above. Seat police should continue to do their job during the ASU game. A lot of leather seats around me were empty, like usual, for the ASU game. I really don't want to find myself surrounded by ASU fans for the second half- especially when we are getting our butts kicked.

Since I'm up in the cheap seats, and not many of those are sold to season ticket holders, we get mostly ASU fans around us during that game. Most years, we get a few really mouthy Woof fans, and sometimes they really get profane. This year, we had a good bunch around us, and even when they were kicking our ass, they only rooted for their team as they should. I didn't even hear any ASU fans boo Newell during the induction. Most of the ASU fans are very nice, and it's only a few who get nasty on occassion.
01-31-2011 08:56 PM
Advertisement

AlanBarksdale Offline
Water Engineer

I work for a large company that owns season tickets for 4 seats in the Jack. I usually go to one or two games each year. My dad used to take me to games at Barton in the mid/late 1980's and early 1990's. I am now 30 years old and here is my take on the games:

1. UALR fans do not cheer...it might as well have been an ASU home game.
2. UALR student section is pathetic. This is a Division 1 program with a super nice on-campus arena...I know it is a commuter school, but come on. This was it for the ASU game??
3. PA system is terrible...my wife commented on this. Couldn't hear a word on the Newell cerimony...I went to bathroom because I couldn't hear.
4. Seat Police...unbelievable...they got mad at an 80 year old woman for having her foot "leaning" on the seat in front of her.
5. What can be done about all of the corporate seats that go unused? I know for a FACT that the 4 seats I used have only been used ONE other time this entire season.
6. WINNING will cure all ills...it seems like UALR is just happy to be mediocre year after year.

I remember going to a UALR game in the late 1980's when we were ranked in the top 25. Geez...you would think we would strike lightning in a bottle once every ten years or so.
01-31-2011 09:54 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2011 09:54 PM)AlanBarksdale Wrote:  I work for a large company that owns season tickets for 4 seats in the Jack. I usually go to one or two games each year. My dad used to take me to games at Barton in the mid/late 1980's and early 1990's. I am now 30 years old and here is my take on the games:

2. UALR student section is pathetic. This is a Division 1 program with a super nice on-campus arena...I know it is a commuter school, but come on. This was it for the ASU game??
3. PA system is terrible...my wife commented on this. Couldn't hear a word on the Newell cerimony...I went to bathroom because I couldn't hear.
4. Seat Police...unbelievable...they got mad at an 80 year old woman for having her foot "leaning" on the seat in front of her.
5. What can be done about all of the corporate seats that go unused? I know for a FACT that the 4 seats I used have only been used ONE other time this entire season.
6. WINNING will cure all ills...it seems like UALR is just happy to be mediocre year after year.

I remember going to a UALR game in the late 1980's when we were ranked in the top 25. Geez...you would think we would strike lightning in a bottle once every ten years or so.

The only point I strongly disagree with is #2. I think that was the biggest student crowd I've ever seen at a UALR game. For years you could count the students on your hands and toes. We'd have a good turnout of students for homecoming, but they would all leave at halftime. No its not Duke, UNC, or Kansas. But it will never be. I think the increase in student support is one positive we can point to in the last few years.
01-31-2011 10:04 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(01-31-2011 09:54 PM)AlanBarksdale Wrote:  I work for a large company that owns season tickets for 4 seats in the Jack. I usually go to one or two games each year. My dad used to take me to games at Barton in the mid/late 1980's and early 1990's. I am now 30 years old and here is my take on the games:

Please forward your concerns to the head knocker, Chris Peterson, who is the one that thinks the Nazi Seat Police are a good idea in the first place, who won't let fans move down closer to the court in the second half, who is very content to think that the Jack Stephens arena is his personal fiefdom, and who is building a reputation for the Jack Stephens Center as a very fan UNFRIENDLY place. Hell, he treats it like it was his living room, which probably has those plastic covers on the furniture so God forbid it might actually get enjoyed by guests. If people who bought all the corporate phantom seats would tell him they don't mind sharing, maybe even he would see the light! But I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
01-31-2011 10:29 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2011 10:29 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

Please forward your concerns to the head knocker, Chris Peterson, who is the one that thinks the Nazi Seat Police are a good idea in the first place, who won't let fans move down closer to the court in the second half, who is very content to think that the Jack Stephens arena is his personal fiefdom, and who is building a reputation for the Jack Stephens Center as a very fan UNFRIENDLY place. Hell, he treats it like it was his living room, which probably has those plastic covers on the furniture so God forbid it might actually get enjoyed by guests. If people who bought all the corporate phantom seats would tell him they don't mind sharing, maybe even he would see the light! But I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Like others, I have gotten annoyed when the seat police have told my wife, kids, son's girlfriend, etc. to move their feet off the seats. However, I have to admit that the Jack looks as spanking new as the day it opened. Maybe they overdo it, but you certainly don't see folks trampling/walking on our seats that still look brand new. I think Chris does treat the Jack like it is his living room- Maybe that's not really so bad in the long run.
01-31-2011 10:40 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(01-31-2011 10:40 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-31-2011 10:29 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

Like others, I have gotten annoyed when the seat police have told my wife, kids, son's girlfriend, etc. to move their feet off the seats. However, I have to admit that the Jack looks as spanking new as the day it opened. Maybe they overdo it, but you certainly don't see folks trampling/walking on our seats that still look brand new. I think Chris does treat the Jack like it is his living room- Maybe that's not really so bad in the long run.

Of course it's not a bad thing, as long as you don't mind no one ever attending games or building a fan base. We'll have the most pristine gym in America that no one attends. Everybody keeps going back to keeping feet off the back of the chairs. I've got no problem with that as long as the ushers do it right. It's the mentality towards the fans that I resent. It is definitely not fan friendly.
01-31-2011 10:52 PM
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
It's really not. To build good attendance we need a raucous atmosphere, and exciting product. If that means inviting in all of the "feet on the back of the seat" people so be it because I bet they're the loudest. The crazier it gets the more fans come. That brings more wins, too.

I love the fact (from an aesthetic standpoint) that the Jack is pristine. I really do. But the measures taken to achieve that end have been antithetical to on the court success.

I've been reading BTH's reprint of Jeff's book, and when you see those videos, you saw a youth-oriented, brash, exciting atmosphere. A culture that bred success not only in attendance (percentage of seats available, that is) but wins. That's what we've really lost. It may not even be the style of play (even though 90-100 points per game never hurts), it's the attitude of the entire culture surrounding the team.

To win, we need empty beer cans on the floor, not "plastic on the furniture", as LRTrojan so aptly put it.
01-31-2011 11:14 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2011 11:14 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  It's really not. To build good attendance we need a raucous atmosphere, and exciting product. If that means inviting in all of the "feet on the back of the seat" people so be it because I bet they're the loudest. The crazier it gets the more fans come. That brings more wins, too.

I love the fact (from an aesthetic standpoint) that the Jack is pristine. I really do. But the measures taken to achieve that end have been antithetical to on the court success.

I've been reading BTH's reprint of Jeff's book, and when you see those videos, you saw a youth-oriented, brash, exciting atmosphere. A culture that bred success not only in attendance (percentage of seats available, that is) but wins. That's what we've really lost. It may not even be the style of play (even though 90-100 points per game never hurts), it's the attitude of the entire culture surrounding the team.

To win, we need empty beer cans on the floor, not "plastic on the furniture", as LRTrojan so aptly put it.

The Jack is not a roudy, beer can, seat stomping, place. The leather seats are bigger and more comfortable than any theater or opera house in the country. Allen Fieldhouse, all 15,000 bleacher seat strong is that kind of place. Barton, in many ways, was that kind of place. We're not ever going to see beer cans or folks standing on the seats at the Jack. It was built with the hope that it would become the place "in" place to be and to be seen by Little Rock's high society. The beer can crowd isn't going to pay the bills- big donors in leather seats can. I guess the beer can crowd can have the bleachers, but they won't be allowed to stomp on the leather seats. That's just the way it is, and likely will always be.
02-01-2011 12:13 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2011 12:13 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-31-2011 11:14 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  It's really not. To build good attendance we need a raucous atmosphere, and exciting product. If that means inviting in all of the "feet on the back of the seat" people so be it because I bet they're the loudest. The crazier it gets the more fans come. That brings more wins, too.

The Jack is not a roudy, beer can, seat stomping, place. The leather seats are bigger and more comfortable than any theater or opera house in the country. Allen Fieldhouse, all 15,000 bleacher seat strong is that kind of place. Barton, in many ways, was that kind of place. We're not ever going to see beer cans or folks standing on the seats at the Jack. It was built with the hope that it would become the place "in" place to be and to be seen by Little Rock's high society. The beer can crowd isn't going to pay the bills- big donors in leather seats can. I guess the beer can crowd can have the bleachers, but they won't be allowed to stomp on the leather seats. That's just the way it is, and likely will always be.

The two are not mutually exclusive either. Just like our AD has had trouble accepting the Tip In Club, and having the fund raiser in the Stephens Center, hopefully one day he will come around to the realization that a winning team, that is fun to watch, together with a fan friendly arena, can become a "great destination" and "thing to do" in Little Rock. We have along way to go on both fronts at the moment however.
02-01-2011 12:27 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

The death of the tip in club is one thing I don't understand. To think that there is not some space to sell beer to the fans and have coach come talk to them is pretty bad. I see other groups using the practice court and the other room.

I have not been a tip in club member in a while. My silent protest to dismantling the great feel it had at Alltel.
02-01-2011 08:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.