Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is BE contemplating staying at 9
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Is BE contemplating staying at 9
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast

Expansion:

As usual, Marinatto was tight-lipped on the league's expansion plans. He wouldn't even confirm if getting to 10 teams was still the goal.
01-26-2011 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightTower Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
RE: Is BE contemplating staying at 9
Except just yesterday they said they weren't going to wait on Nova.

*shrug*
01-26-2011 12:55 PM
PittDMD Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: PITT
I would say we are going for 10. That is wha they have been saying all along, plus another strong TV market can strengthen our future TV contract. Maybe he meant that 12 teams could be the new goal if Nova says yes? Something to think about I guess... good point.
01-26-2011 12:56 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
He wouldn't confirm if 10 was the goal because the Big East is considering going to 11 or 12. Thats why you don't take the expansion to 10 statement as gospel or the hardline truth.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 01:01 PM by CatsClaw.)
01-26-2011 12:58 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-26-2011 12:55 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  Except just yesterday they said they weren't going to wait on Nova.

*shrug*

But he didn't specify to wait for what. Maybe that means before making a decision to stay at 9...or add a 10th...or continue to wait. He wasn't specific. He didn't say, we aren't waiting on NOVA, before adding a 10th member. He just said we weren't waiting on Nova, before making a decison. He actually said a 10th could be added, IF the right situation develops. big difference in taking that to mean the BE is not wainting on Nova, to definitely add a 10th member or someone besides Nova.

"If the right situation developed in between, we would move on it," he said. "That's a very real possibility. We're not going to make a decision or not make a decision based on Villanova's study."
01-26-2011 01:04 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(01-26-2011 12:58 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  He wouldn't confirm if 10 was the goal because the Big East is considering going to 11 or 12. Thats why you don't take the expansion to 10 statement as gospel or the hardline truth.

Ding!

As that is what WVU's AD "hinted" in his recent TV interview (i.e. Big East will jump to "at least 10 teams") as all Big East AD's have been told to prepare for 9 conf games (which means at least a 10 team football conf), as many have 5 non-conf games scheduled in coming years that they would have to cut to just 3.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 01:07 PM by KnightLight.)
01-26-2011 01:06 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

And people mention the right situation comment, maybe the right situation is a network telling us that adding the Houston and Orlando market would equal big money. The Big East is entering preliminary negotiations right now and every scenario, ones that include Houston, UCF, Villanova, ECU, they're all being presented ad potential scenarios.
01-26-2011 01:10 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Have no clue what the commish will do. He will give different reporters different answers. I will just wait until movement actually happens. It all sounds like coach speak to me. I'm sure we will know something in a few months. I'm more curious about what's happening with contract talk.
01-26-2011 02:07 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

He's given the same answer to all of the reporters, he has actually been very consistent.
01-26-2011 02:13 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
Seems consistent with what he's been saying. Everything is on the table.

I don't know what is ultimately going to happen, but I feel much better about the future of the Big East now than I did with MT at the helm. Seems like we are being much more proactive and thinking outside the box. I can't imagine that TCU would have been brought into the league under MT.
01-26-2011 02:17 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
I've liked a 9 team conference in the MWC. Round robin with even home and away games.
01-26-2011 02:26 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I feel very secure with Marinatto as well he is like other BCS conference leaders thinks outside of the box and is proactive. A 9 team round robin is nice but it also limits our negotiating power.
01-26-2011 02:29 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I feel better about the direction of the league but none of this stuff is predictable. Things can change on a dime and I won't be surprised with anything at this point. The one thing I've learned watching athletes, coaches, and ads is alot of times they say things to the media and do the exact opposite. Not to say that the commish will do that but I'm on a see it to believe it mentality. Expansion has taken crazy twist and turns and until something concrete is done its basically all talk in my opinion. If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard this team is definitely coming I'd be living in Dubai.lol
01-26-2011 02:38 PM
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(01-26-2011 02:38 PM)kardphan Wrote:  I'd be living in Dubai.lol

Lived there! Its not as good as it seems
01-26-2011 02:49 PM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I think if you look at Marinnato's comments without an unbiased eye.......

What he said could mean:

1) We may decide before April to stay at 9 teams and if Nova decides to join so be it, then we would have 10.

2) We may decide on the 10th team before April and then if Nova decides to join.....then we could have 11.

3) Or if other developments become available with the Big-12, then all bets are off and we can do whatever we want.

I wouldn't put a lot of weight into anything he told BB, because he really didn't say anything.

Whichever outcome you are rooting for is probably what you will hear out of this.
01-26-2011 02:56 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I think if you look at Marinnato's comments without an unbiased eye, he said absolutely nothing that will give away his plans...
01-26-2011 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

None of Marinatto's comments have ever hinted at staying at 9 teams and the Big 12 ship has sailed.
01-26-2011 03:48 PM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

(01-26-2011 03:48 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  None of Marinatto's comments have ever hinted at staying at 9 teams and the Big 12 ship has sailed.

Not true.

The statement:

He wouldn't even confirm if getting to 10 teams was still the goal.

That means that any number......any number could be the goal. Since nine is still a number.....that could be the goal....so could 10....so could 12.....so could 80. 02-13-banana
01-26-2011 04:11 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(01-26-2011 04:11 PM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  
(01-26-2011 03:48 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  None of Marinatto's comments have ever hinted at staying at 9 teams and the Big 12 ship has sailed.

Not true.

The statement:

He wouldn't even confirm if getting to 10 teams was still the goal.

That means that any number......any number could be the goal. Since nine is still a number.....that could be the goal....so could 10....so could 12.....so could 80. 02-13-banana

We're closer to 80 than any other conference. 02-13-banana
01-26-2011 04:18 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

If 9 were a goal why would he say several times since December that we're not waiting for Nova? If we're not waiting for Nova then 9 teams is out of the question since we wouldn't be waiting on them for the 10th spot. If we were staying at 9 we would just announce it. Why would we still be talking to candidates if 9 was the answer and we're not waiting for Nova?
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 04:21 PM by CatsClaw.)
01-26-2011 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.