Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: UMass could join MAC
UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Report: UMass could join MAC
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncf/new...id=5929950

he University of Massachusetts football program could be joining Temple in the Mid-American Conference, possibly as soon as next month, the Boston Globe reported on Friday.

Citing sources with the league and the school, the newspaper reported that MAC officials visited the campus and also Gillette Stadium -- home of the Patriots -- where some UMass home games could be played.

"We're not going to comment on anything regarding that,'' said UMass athletic director John McCutcheon, according to the newspaper. "But our discussions involve football only and we are still talking about making a decision sooner rather than later.''

Like Temple, UMass wants to remain in the Atlantic 10 for other sports, especially basketball, but the MAC would ask that the schools play non-conference hoops games against MAC opponents.

The move can't be made official until September when a moratorium is lifted for Championship Subdivision schools to jump to the Bowl Subdivision. UMass then would have to go through a two-year transition period before becoming a full MAC member in 2013.
01-26-2011 05:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Report: UMass could join MAC
would make sense. If temple stays, Umass gets them to an even 14.
01-26-2011 07:45 AM
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
That link is about 6 weeks old. Still waiting on Temple to make a decision.
01-26-2011 09:19 AM
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(01-26-2011 05:32 AM)UofL07 Wrote:  http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncf/new...id=5929950

he University of Massachusetts football program could be joining Temple in the Mid-American Conference, possibly as soon as next month, the Boston Globe reported on Friday.

Citing sources with the league and the school, the newspaper reported that MAC officials visited the campus and also Gillette Stadium -- home of the Patriots -- where some UMass home games could be played.

"We're not going to comment on anything regarding that,'' said UMass athletic director John McCutcheon, according to the newspaper. "But our discussions involve football only and we are still talking about making a decision sooner rather than later.''

Like Temple, UMass wants to remain in the Atlantic 10 for other sports, especially basketball, but the MAC would ask that the schools play non-conference hoops games against MAC opponents.

The move can't be made official until September when a moratorium is lifted for Championship Subdivision schools to jump to the Bowl Subdivision. UMass then would have to go through a two-year transition period before becoming a full MAC member in 2013.

Does this affect nova? Does this mean Nova can't decide until September? Or is it different since they were already invited?
01-26-2011 09:51 AM
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
^That last bit in the article is incorrect. Texas State and Texas San Antonio to the WAC are official, and they're subject to the same moratorium.
01-26-2011 10:21 AM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

Buffalo to the MAC! .....oh wait.
01-26-2011 10:28 AM
Advertisement

KnightTower Offline
All American

Yay! The proud MAC tradition continues. Putting 10,000 people in another empty NFL stadium for a football team no one cares about!
01-26-2011 11:55 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The MAC has a hell of a lot more tradition than CUSA ever will. How many College Football Hall of Fame coaches have coached in CUSA? A sh!tload have coached in the MAC...

BTW, Ohio U. is the only remaining charter member of the MAC. Current BEast member Cincinnati was a charter member, but left the MAC in 1953...
01-26-2011 12:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(01-26-2011 11:55 AM)KnightTower Wrote:  Yay! The proud MAC tradition continues. Putting 10,000 people in another empty NFL stadium for a football team no one cares about!

I'd actually beg to differ. UMass has a dramatically different situation. First off they have an on-campus stadium that holds 17K people which I believe is easily capable of being expanded and upgraded. They would play a game or two a season against opponents that would draw (UConn, BC, elite powers) in Gillette. They're also the state flagship of a populous state with a 27K student enrollment. They have a much easier and more certain path to success in FBS than Temple does. Their main problem is that New England is not talent laden.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 12:06 PM by brista21.)
01-26-2011 12:05 PM
KnightTower Offline
All American

(01-26-2011 12:03 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The MAC has a hell of a lot more tradition than CUSA ever will. How many College Football Hall of Fame coaches have coached in CUSA? A sh!tload have coached in the MAC...

Who said anything about tradition?
01-26-2011 12:10 PM
KnightTower Offline
All American

(01-26-2011 12:05 PM)brista21 Wrote:  
(01-26-2011 11:55 AM)KnightTower Wrote:  Yay! The proud MAC tradition continues. Putting 10,000 people in another empty NFL stadium for a football team no one cares about!

I'd actually beg to differ. UMass has a dramatically different situation. First off they have an on-campus stadium that holds 17K people which I believe is easily capable of being expanded and upgraded. They would play a game or two a season against opponents that would draw (UConn, BC, elite powers) in Gillette. They're also the state flagship of a populous state with a 27K student enrollment. They have a much easier and more certain path to success in FBS than Temple does. Their main problem is that New England is not talent laden.

Ah. All I've heard is that they're moving to Gillette, and not just for big games. Makes more sense.
01-26-2011 12:11 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(01-26-2011 12:10 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  
(01-26-2011 12:03 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The MAC has a hell of a lot more tradition than CUSA ever will. How many College Football Hall of Fame coaches have coached in CUSA? A sh!tload have coached in the MAC...
Try the ENTIRE college football world... 03-banghead
01-26-2011 12:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KnightTower Offline
All American

(01-26-2011 12:13 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(01-26-2011 12:10 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  
Try the ENTIRE college football world... 03-banghead

I meant...how is that relevant to this thread, specifically? Where'd that come from? Its an odd tangent to get off into.
01-26-2011 12:14 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

No. It's not an odd tangent at all. You went derogatory - and I shoved it back in your face. You wanted to start some smack - and got smacked yourself instead. Keep it civil...
01-26-2011 12:20 PM
KnightTower Offline
All American

(01-26-2011 12:20 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  No. It's not an odd tangent at all. You went derogatory - and I shoved it back in your face. You wanted to start some smack - and got smacked yourself instead. Keep it civil...

I must not be seeing the whole picture here.

Let me walk myself through it.

1. I make snide remark about how most MAC teams can't fill a stadium. In an off-handed, throwaway line, I sarcastically refer to it a a "tradition".
2. You say that the MAC has more tradition than CUSA, vis-à-vis coaches in the hall of fame.
3. This stops my MAC smack (which is only smack if I direct it AT a MAC poster, and honestly, I've never seen one).
4. And substitutes it for CUSA smack (and we all know how populated with CUSA fansd this board is)
5. And this is shoving it in my face.
6. This leads to civility.

Ok then. I'll chalk this one up as a win for you.

Case closed. Continue conversing about UMASS.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 12:32 PM by KnightTower.)
01-26-2011 12:30 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The winner, and still champion... 04-bow
01-26-2011 12:37 PM
Advertisement

WVUeer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WVU

BTW, Ohio U. is the only remaining charter member of the MAC. Current BEast member Cincinnati was a charter member, but left the MAC in 1953...

Hey "NutMuncher".....why cant you just respect the fact that he (KnightTower) made an accurate statement? Attendance is indeed a major problem in the Mac. Include me in as one that doesnt care about UMass going to the Mac either. Who cares? And comparing Mac Tradition VS CUSA tradition?.......how long has CUSA been around? Its not even a fair argument. Besides, where did he even mention tradition?

Make no mistake about it, CUSA is a much better conference than the Mac and in case you may have forgotten, its likely CUSA schools that we are likely going after if we do indeed expand.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 12:47 PM by WVUeer.)
01-26-2011 12:46 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Tradition and a quarter doesn't even get you a cup of coffee. I guarantee that the MAC would trade their "tradition" for C-USA's attendance figures and TV contracts.
01-26-2011 01:15 PM
WVUeer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WVU
(01-26-2011 01:15 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  Tradition and a quarter doesn't even get you a cup of coffee. I guarantee that the MAC would trade their "tradition" for C-USA's attendance figures and TV contracts.

Exactly my point. I totally agree.
01-26-2011 01:23 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Also remember, MAC schools were the ones running to a ravaged at the time CUSA not vice versa. There's a reason why CUSA has twice as many bowl agreements.
01-26-2011 01:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.