ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
UK's Enes Kanter ruled permanently ineligible
Enes Kanter ruled permanently ineligible

ESPN.com news services

Kentucky basketball recruit Enes Kanter has been ruled permanently ineligible for receiving impermissible compensation while playing for a professional team, the NCAA ruled Friday.

[Image: ncb_a_kanter1x_400.jpg]
AP Photo/Rick Bowmer
The NCAA ruled Enes Kanter, who played for a senior professional team in Turkey, can not play for Kentucky.

The NCAA reinstatement committee confirmed that Kanter received $33,033 above his actual and necessary expenses for one year while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey.

"We were informed by the NCAA that the flexible decisions made by the NCAA staff in other high-profile cases could not be used in case precedent and were not binding on the NCAA going forward," Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart said. "The University of Kentucky was very hopeful that our student-athlete might receive the same type of consideration afforded to these other athletes but that did not happen."

Kentucky had appealed an earlier decision by another NCAA department. The reinstatement committee is the final appeal opportunity.

Kanter will not be allowed to compete, practice or travel with the team, but is able to receive financial aid to stay in school.

"The silver lining is that Enes will always be part of this team," Kentucky coach John Calipari said. "My job will be to prepare him for his entry into the NBA draft, which this decision by the [NCAA] will likely necessitate. Enes will always be a part of our family and I plan to be by his side in the green room whenever he is drafted."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6000134

01-07-2011 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatOtto Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: UK's Enes Kanter ruled permanently ineligible
Apparently Tubby took that magic fax machine with him to Minnesota!

01-07-2011 07:07 PM
Slypenny Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC/UK/FSU/NKU
most UK fans had hope but figured it was a long shot. Just wish the NCAA had some consistency. They took the hard line but started making rulings that were all over the map. Left a lot of fans with optimism.

01-07-2011 09:57 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
This is my problem with it. Make a damn decision and draw a line that leaves no gray area. The NCAA is an absolute joke, but I'm glad it worked against UK for once.

01-07-2011 11:34 PM
Advertisement

JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
If anyone is having a slow night, go read catspause.com 03-lmfao

01-07-2011 11:37 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Haha I just read for about 30 minutes. Fantastic stuff. Actually I was surprised that there seems to be some intelligent objective UK fans, though they seem to be an extremely endangered species.

There's a thread that's titled something like if Kanter went to Duke he'd be eligible. It's like all the moron Red Sox fans that complain about the Yankees spending too much.

01-08-2011 08:18 AM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
Poor Enes. At least he still has a home with Cal and the family.

01-08-2011 08:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.