Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MWC Expansion Heating Up?
Bookmark and Share
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
MWC Expansion Heating Up?
http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/spo...exas.html#

It appears that the MWC governing board will meet this month to discuss expansion. According to the MWC Commish, the league would like to stay in Texas. One of the driving factors for the move will be getting back into the recruiting area and a major television market. Of course that means the two cities targeted will be Dallas and Houston. As the article notes, the addition of one may require the addition of another. I beleive Utah State will be invited and Houston will be added as well. This will place the league back into Utah and Texas, two hot areas for its base.

It shall be interesting to see how things shake out...I tell you what, if it is announced that Utah State and Houston are moving on, the SBC should then focus its attention to see if CUSA is going to lose UCF to the Big East. If so, I would put a full court press on trying to add UTEP and UAB to the SBC roster. Those additions should help to keep some of our current members that are strong in basketball happy.
01-03-2011 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
RE: MWC Expansion Heating Up?
(01-03-2011 12:28 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/spo...exas.html#
It appears that the MWC governing board will meet this month to discuss expansion. According to the MWC Commish, the league would like to stay in Texas. One of the driving factors for the move will be getting back into the recruiting area and a major television market. Of course that means the two cities targeted will be Dallas and Houston. As the article notes, the addition of one may require the addition of another. I beleive Utah State will be invited and Houston will be added as well. This will place the league back into Utah and Texas, two hot areas for its base.
It shall be interesting to see how things shake out...I tell you what, if it is announced that Utah State and Houston are moving on, the SBC should then focus its attention to see if CUSA is going to lose UCF to the Big East. If so, I would put a full court press on trying to add UTEP and UAB to the SBC roster. Those additions should help to keep some of our current members that are strong in basketball happy.

The Texas schools make sense for them to go after. If USU moves then the WAC is officially dead.

Also, you've got the pecking order wrong as far as C-USA/Sun Belt is concerned. Any school in the Belt would accept an invite to C-USA. The SBC would then look to La Tech or NMSU depending on mutual need.

No need to fret, the Sun Belt is SOLID; C-USA would take two at the most and with USA coming on board and the possible WAC stragglers, the conference will remain strong.
01-03-2011 12:46 PM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
That would help the b'ball RPI, wouldn't it? 03-idea
01-03-2011 12:48 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
I do not think Houston will go to the MWC.
01-03-2011 12:49 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(01-03-2011 12:49 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  I do not think Houston will go to the MWC.

And I don't think UTEP would agree without one of the other Texas schools.
01-03-2011 01:03 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(01-03-2011 12:48 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  That would help the b'ball RPI, wouldn't it? 03-idea

And would kill UTEP's and UAB's.

Tell me why they would come to SBC over staying in C-USA?
01-03-2011 01:07 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(01-03-2011 12:49 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  I do not think Houston will go to the MWC.

Agree. Houston is waiting on the Big East and will likely get selected.

The question is SMU. SMU will stay in CUSA as long as Houston stays, but unlike Houston will not get a Big East bid. Houston leaving CUSA would be like a broken linchpin for the western CUSA, creating some instability. SMU also does not want to be viewed as "on par" with Rice and UTEP and Tulsa, but rather with Houston and TCU.

The MWC badly needs a Metroplex replacement school and SMU is their target. SMU may very well gamble that an MWC strategy will be as fruitful for it as it was for TCU. Without Houston and likely even UCF in CUSA, CUSA loses a lot of desirability. If SMU stays in CUSA, SMU risks that the MWC will take North Texas just to ensure an MWC recruiting base in the Metroplex (much like the Big East felt it had to take USF before USF had proven anything). UNT in the MWC could potentially catapult the Mean Green above SMU's status, which is also unacceptable.

SMU has a major decision this month.

UNT is very likely gone from the Sunbelt regardless.
01-03-2011 01:11 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Funny how you read no La Tech to C-USA in any scenarios proffered on any board....other than the La Tech board. Do they have a problem seeing the forrest for the trees? 03-lmfao 03-banghead
01-03-2011 01:38 PM
trojanbrutha Offline

(01-03-2011 01:38 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  Funny how you read no La Tech to C-USA in any scenarios proffered on any board....other than the La Tech board. Do they have a problem seeing the forrest for the trees? 03-lmfao 03-banghead

The fat lady is warming up in the wings, but they're listening to their ipods...their cusa show is coming to a close.
01-03-2011 01:59 PM
TennesseeBoyintheRockies Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(01-03-2011 12:28 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/spo...exas.html#

If the merger takes place, I don't know that the Mountain West would truly need to add schools from Conference USA. Utah State's the name I'm hearing the most with the potential for San Jose State with the Bay Area markets. I haven't heard of this one, but I wonder if North Texas could be a Mountain West target since they are in Texas and not part of the CUSA/Mountain West merger.
01-03-2011 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gakusei Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
TennesseeBoyintheRockies Wrote:  If the merger takes place, I don't know that the Mountain West would truly need to add schools from Conference USA. Utah State's the name I'm hearing the most with the potential for San Jose State with the Bay Area markets. I haven't heard of this one, but I wonder if North Texas could be a Mountain West target since they are in Texas and not part of the CUSA/Mountain West merger.

Not sure that they're talking about a merger, just some cooperation with scheduling and then if they can get something going with a BCS play-in game. From what the MWC commish has said, it sounds like they want to add a presence (or two) in Texas. I think SDSU has openly come out in favor of expanding to 12, and I would imagine that CSU, AFA, Wyoming, and UNM are also in favor so they don't have to travel to Hawaii every year. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of the 1/15 meeting, if anything.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 03:37 PM by Gakusei.)
01-03-2011 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

theATLDawg Offline
All American

I Root For:
there is no one mentioned as scenarios for anyone at this point. La Tech is brought up just as much as MT, UNT anybody. All these scenarios are all just fans sticking their two cents in. How do we know who CUSA is going to go after until they actually lose someone. La Tech has just as much of a shot as any of these so called fans. I honestly don't see UNT as being any real attraction to anyone. Their name recognition alone sucks. This stadium is just that. A stadium.
01-03-2011 05:59 PM
trojanbrutha Offline

(01-03-2011 05:59 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  there is no one mentioned as scenarios for anyone at this point. La Tech is brought up just as much as MT, UNT anybody. All these scenarios are all just fans sticking their two cents in. How do we know who CUSA is going to go after until they actually lose someone. La Tech has just as much of a shot as any of these so called fans. I honestly don't see UNT as being any real attraction to anyone. Their name recognition alone sucks. This stadium is just that. A stadium.

With them already having "the pit," it makes them that much more attractive...what does tech have that rivals that?
01-03-2011 06:17 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-03-2011 05:59 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  there is no one mentioned as scenarios for anyone at this point. La Tech is brought up just as much as MT, UNT anybody. All these scenarios are all just fans sticking their two cents in. How do we know who CUSA is going to go after until they actually lose someone. La Tech has just as much of a shot as any of these so called fans. I honestly don't see UNT as being any real attraction to anyone. Their name recognition alone sucks. This stadium is just that. A stadium.
I guess that means Lousiana Technology University has name recongition? Give me a break.03-puke

And you're correct. UNT will now have a much needed stadium. You see, old Fouts was old and falling apart.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 06:28 PM by Green Menace.)
01-03-2011 06:26 PM
theATLDawg Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-03-2011 06:17 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  

With them already having "the pit," it makes them that much more attractive...what does tech have that rivals that?
the pit is attractive? give me a break. Trust the MWC is not looking at UNT or Tech. And I think Tech is in a much better position with cusa than UNT as long as SMU is in the picture. This biggest problem with Dallas market, is other than UT and the Cowboys, nobody really cares. And they certainly don't care about UNT.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 07:01 PM by theATLDawg.)
01-03-2011 06:58 PM
Gakusei Offline
Special Teams

(01-03-2011 06:58 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  the pit is attractive? give me a break. Trust the MWC is not looking at UNT or Tech. And I think Tech is in a much better position with cusa than UNT as long as SMU is in the picture. This biggest problem with Dallas market, is other than UT and the Cowboys, nobody really cares. And they certainly don't care about UNT.

Adding La. Tech goes against the criteria that CUSA seems to go by. They add two types of schools 1) In a large media market (SMU, Rice, UCF) and/or 2) Has command of their somewhat smaller market (UTEP). La. Tech really isn't in either of those scenarios and never will be. They would need to field a top 25 team on a consistent basis before any conference gives them a serious look.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 07:25 PM by Gakusei.)
01-03-2011 07:16 PM
Advertisement

trojans664 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy University
(01-03-2011 07:16 PM)Gakusei Wrote:  
(01-03-2011 06:58 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  the pit is attractive? give me a break. Trust the MWC is not looking at UNT or Tech. And I think Tech is in a much better position with cusa than UNT as long as SMU is in the picture. This biggest problem with Dallas market, is other than UT and the Cowboys, nobody really cares. And they certainly don't care about UNT.

Adding La. Tech goes against the criteria that CUSA seems to go by. They add two types of schools 1) In a large media market (SMU, Rice, UCF) and/or 2) Has command of their somewhat smaller market (UTEP). La. Tech really isn't in either of those scenarios and never will be. They would need to field a top 25 team on a consistent basis before any conference gives them a serious look.

Here's a funny from someone who really doesn't give a crap about the pissing match tech has with the other LA schools or the belt. Had they not burned the bridge with the SBC, the would currently be entering the conference with open arms. They would probably soon be competing for championships in a conference that would be comfortably nestled in right behind CUSA, ahead of the MAC and then defunct WAC. They would drastically improve any chance that they had of getting into the conference that they lust for. They could then have the opportunity to prove, on the field, their superiority over the in-state teams that they hate. If I were a tech fan, I would see it as a temporary utopia. Strange things happen when you let your heart get in the way of your head.
01-03-2011 07:41 PM
TennesseeBoyintheRockies Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(01-03-2011 07:41 PM)trojans664 Wrote:  Here's a funny from someone who really doesn't give a crap about the pissing match tech has with the other LA schools or the belt. Had they not burned the bridge with the SBC, the would currently be entering the conference with open arms. They would probably soon be competing for championships in a conference that would be comfortably nestled in right behind CUSA, ahead of the MAC and then defunct WAC. They would drastically improve any chance that they had of getting into the conference that they lust for. They could then have the opportunity to prove, on the field, their superiority over the in-state teams that they hate. If I were a tech fan, I would see it as a temporary utopia. Strange things happen when you let your heart get in the way of your head.

In defense of the Louisiana Tech fan the Bulldogs MAY still find themselves in a reasonable position with the additions of Texas State and Texas-San Antonio. The the additions of those two and the loss of Hawaii, Boise, Fresno, and Nevada is actually going to be more favorable in travel expenses to Louisiana Tech. And unless Texas State (who practically died this year in the Southland) or UTSA proves to be better than anticipated, Louisiana Tech will be the team to beat in the new WAC. The down side is that by the time all these conference movements are completed, the WAC may not have a bowl for their champion.

Also, the WAC isn't necessarily out of the woods yet. The Mountain West is still considering Utah State. I don't see how the WAC survives should they lose even one more member unless there is a waiver granted. Louisiana Tech's problems lie with its facilities. There are current members of the Sun Belt that would look far more attractive in that category than Louisiana Tech. Again, with the funds alleviated from travel and really the stiff competition of the upper-echelon gone, Louisiana Tech can concentrate more on improving facilities and winning championships which could help their cause.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 08:18 PM by TennesseeBoyintheRockies.)
01-03-2011 08:15 PM
MeanGreenGem Offline
1st String

Q
(01-03-2011 06:58 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  
(01-03-2011 06:17 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  

the pit is attractive? give me a break. Trust the MWC is not looking at UNT or Tech. And I think Tech is in a much better position with cusa than UNT as long as SMU is in the picture. This biggest problem with Dallas market, is other than UT and the Cowboys, nobody really cares. And they certainly don't care about UNT.

UNT's timeless & ageless wonder, ie, the fabulous Super Pit is still the best collegiate basketball palace this side of UT's Super Drum; even a better more functional facility than Baylor's Ferrell Center, too. It opened in 1973 and still looks as if it were built less than a decade ago.

Around 23,000 cared to show up for a UNT home game with Rice this last season when only 17,000 showed for SMU's "Fill Ford Stadium" promotion with a bowl team and just a few weeks before their bowl game.

Of course, these are real number facts that LaTech "Dawg" fans are unable to understand at any level because they also probably think the Big 12 wants them just as badly as CUSA seems to want them! NOT!

La Tech fans especially on their Bulldog, Bark & Bytes board need to all take a gigantic dose of lithium to take care of their delusional dreams and what is turning into their bridge to nowhere.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 09:43 PM by MeanGreenGem.)
01-03-2011 09:37 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Having been to Ruston a few times I will say the last thing Louisiana Tech fans need to be doing is talking about how unattractive North Texas is...

Been to Denton once, Been to Ruston Three times. I think I prefer Denton
01-03-2011 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.