Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Isn't it funny that after all these years, Mike
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Isn't it funny that after all these years, Mike
Newell keeps popping up in our discussions. We occasionally mention Wimp or some other coach, but I'll bet Mike is mentioned on the board nearly as much as our current coach. That's pretty impressive for a guy who's been gone from here for as long as Mike has been. Mike could have been a golden boy in the coaching ranks. He made one big mistake. Instead of taking the Marquette job, he trusted that the Little Rock people would give him the support to make UALR another UAB. Many of us thought this would happen, and we're still waiting. I wish he could get another chance somewhere. He's still young enough to develop a program if given the right support.
12-28-2010 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
RE: Isn't it funny that after all these years, Mike
You would think we'd invite him to a game and recognize him during half. Might have to cancel a halftime sixth grade scrimmage to do so though.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2010 11:37 AM by Scotto.)
12-28-2010 11:36 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Great idea.
12-28-2010 11:44 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(12-28-2010 11:36 AM)Scotto Wrote:  You would think we'd invite him to a game and recognize him during half. Might have to cancel a halftime sixth grade scrimmage to do so though.

They missed the best chance they ever had, not to honor Mike Newell, but to honor the entire NCAA team on the 20th anniversary of that feat. I guess someone felt to honor the team, they'd have to honor Newell too, and someone didn't want that to happen.
12-28-2010 11:54 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

If someone wishes to e-mail Chris about something, this might be something most of us old time fans might want to encourage. Mike Newell deserves to be honored for his contributions to our program. What little this program has accomplished throughout the years, most was done during the Newell years.
12-28-2010 11:57 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

The best way to honor Newell would be to put him in the Hall of Fame where he belongs.
12-28-2010 12:06 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Absolutely.
12-28-2010 12:07 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

But, I'd love to see the whole NCAA team honored at a ballgame.
12-28-2010 12:09 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Absolutely, also.
12-28-2010 12:11 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
I agree completely that someone should fire off an e-mail to Chris.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2010 09:38 PM by eh9198.)
12-28-2010 09:38 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Someone will relay this message to him. An e-mail probably isn't necessary.
12-28-2010 11:51 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-28-2010 11:32 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Newell keeps popping up in our discussions. We occasionally mention Wimp or some other coach, but I'll bet Mike is mentioned on the board nearly as much as our current coach. That's pretty impressive for a guy who's been gone from here for as long as Mike has been. Mike could have been a golden boy in the coaching ranks. He made one big mistake. Instead of taking the Marquette job, he trusted that the Little Rock people would give him the support to make UALR another UAB. Many of us thought this would happen, and we're still waiting. I wish he could get another chance somewhere. He's still young enough to develop a program if given the right support.

Not really that surprising. I bet they still talk longingly about Bobby Knight in Indiana. Same with Nolan and Eddie up in Fayettenam. Probably talk a lot about Tark in Vegas as well.
12-29-2010 12:18 AM
mdtntrojanceo Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-28-2010 11:51 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Someone will relay this message to him. An e-mail probably isn't necessary.

So if i read the article correctly Mike wants to return to D1 coaching at some level...correct??? HMMMM.....with the Jack and Mike.....maybe???? I for one would be totally supportive of it. No disrespect to Steve but Mike got us where we were and may get us back???
12-29-2010 12:18 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2010 12:18 AM)mdtntrojanceo Wrote:  
(12-28-2010 11:51 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Someone will relay this message to him. An e-mail probably isn't necessary.

So if i read the article correctly Mike wants to return to D1 coaching at some level...correct??? HMMMM.....with the Jack and Mike.....maybe???? I for one would be totally supportive of it. No disrespect to Steve but Mike got us where we were and may get us back???

Mike can't even get an invite to the UALR Hall of Fame or a reunion for the 1986 team. Actually this year would be the 25th reunion wouldn't it? Tom, I think you might have a better chance to come back and get the head coaching job.
12-29-2010 12:45 AM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(12-29-2010 12:18 AM)mjs Wrote:  I bet they still talk longingly about Bobby Knight in Indiana. Same with Nolan and Eddie up in Fayettenam. Probably talk a lot about Tark in Vegas as well.

I haven't checked, but I suspect all of those are in their perspective Hall of Fame. If not, I'll buy into the contention that there is no conspiracy to keep Coach Newell out of UALR's.
12-29-2010 09:16 AM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

Ronnie Arrow was rehired at USA...I'm sure it would be a 1 out 1 million chance that Newell would be rehired at UALR since he can't even get into our Hall of Fame. Although banners of his accomplishments hang in the Jack's rafters.
12-29-2010 10:34 AM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2010 10:34 AM)LR Alum Wrote:  Ronnie Arrow was rehired at USA...I'm sure it would be a 1 out 1 million chance that Newell would be rehired at UALR since he can't even get into our Hall of Fame. Although banners of his accomplishments hang in the Jack's rafters.

For whatever reason Newell is a persona nongrata at UALR. Maybe that will change for the 25th aniversary. It could be argued he was "busy" during basketball season the last 8 years or so.
12-29-2010 10:38 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2010 09:16 AM)Scotto Wrote:  I haven't checked, but I suspect all of those are in their perspective Hall of Fame. If not, I'll buy into the contention that there is no conspiracy to keep Coach Newell out of UALR's.

The UALR Hall of Fame is a joke. And evidently the people on the committee are also. Of course it's like pulling hens teeth to find out who's on the committee. There is a conspiracy alright. Would be curious as to who is the kingpin behind it.
12-29-2010 10:42 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Not me!
12-29-2010 10:48 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2010 10:48 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Not me!

Not me either. I thought they asked for submissions at one time. I know I emailed Chris about Ron Kestenbaum. He hasn't been inducted either.
12-29-2010 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.