ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Daugherty: The Morning Line, 12/27
The Morning Line, 12/27
Posted by pdaugherty 12/27/10, 9:50 am

A fairly brief offering this AM. I’m on vacation, so this is strictly a labor of love. A standing O for my diligence, Mobsters.

It sure is interesting how much better Nine looked Sunday. Looked like a different guy. Relaxed, fist pumping, enjoying himself. I stayed on the Nine train for most of the fall. I had people inside tell me the INTs were less his fault than the receivers, not being where they’re supposed to be. Admittedly, I started to slide off the rails in recent weeks. But he seems rejuvenated now, doesnt he?

What’s the common denominator here, boys and girls?

I’m not gonna blast the dynamic duo. Owens put up good #s and by all accounts was a decent fellow in the locker room. He certainly earned his pay. Chad was muted, on and off the field. And I’m not a shrink, so I cant say for sure. But it sure looks like Palmer was a bit intimidated by 81, yeah? Almost as if he felt he had to force-feed T.O. lest Owens call him out the way he has some of his other QBs, most notably Garcia and McNabb.

Freed of that fear/burden/whatever, Nine looked like 2005 yesterday. Caldwell and Simpson both have speed, a trait that cant be taught. Quite possibly, they were where they were supposed to be on pass routes. Neither seemed to fall down immediately after catching balls across the middle. Both showed a joy in playing that might have been missing.

Prompting the obvious question:

Why the hell havent they played more?

Ditto for Dunlap.

Simpson spent almost 3 years inactive. Now you’re gonna tell us that, all the sudden, he figured it out? Caldwell was a Palmer favorite early last year, then found the bench and never returned. Late last season, when receiver help was desperately needed, the coaches picked Maurice Purify over Simpson.

What the…?

Yesterday’s developments show a few things:

1. In the NFL, playing time is dictated as much by money and ego as it is by ability and who can help you win; and

2. Having excellent wide receivers is way down on the list of things required to win football games. If the QB is good and his line gives him time, two guys named Simpson and Caldwell can have their way with what was statistically the best defense in the league.

Beyond that, lets hope no one is fooled by what The Men (WSS) are doing now. They’re 18-5 in their last 23 home season finales. Means next to nothing. Meanwhile, how ’bout some odds on free agents staying or going?

Planet Ocho: New England would be a very soft landing. A coach who won’t tolerate, a QB who will get him the ball and scream at him when he isnt where he should be. What an opportunity for 8-5 to pad that HOF resume.

Owens: Already packed his case

Benson: Will follow the dollar, then the opportunity. I’d say 50-50.

J-Jo: See Benson. Though they dont have a decent replacement.

Marvin: He has one game left.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/

12-27-2010 11:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
RE: Daugherty: The Morning Line, 12/27
Marvin is gone because he has had plenty of time to get it going. While I do think he is responsible for some good changes at PBS, and brought the locker room and amenities to the 21st century to compete with other NFL teams..........I think his Head Coaching and Decision Making left something to be desired. Coaches lose respect from their players over time. That's why he should have let Ocho be traded to the Redskins for 2 #1 picks. Either he or MB shut down that trade.

12-27-2010 04:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.