Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Dixon moves to forefront
Dixon moves to forefront

By Bill Koch • bkoch@enquirer.com • December 22, 2010

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20101222&...mp;title=0]
The Enquirer/Joseph Fuqua II
Dion Dixon leads UC with 13.3 points per game and is coming off a career-best 23-point effort.

During his first two seasons with the University of Cincinnati, Dion Dixon started only six games. For the most part he was a role player who would come off the bench, try to provide some energy on defense, maybe score a few points, and then would fade into the background.

But this season, Dixon has transformed himself into UC's leading scorer by becoming more aggressive on offense, more consistent with his outside shooting and more confident in every phase of his game.

When UC was struggling to score in the first half against Miami on Tuesday night, it was Dixon who got his team through the drought with 14 first-half points until it could find its way to a 64-48 victory.

Dixon finished with a career-high 23 points. But it wasn't just his point total that was noteworthy - it was the way reached it.

He made only one 3-point shot, getting most of his points on drives to the basket and free throws, an indication of the versatility of his game. He also had seven rebounds and two assists with no turnovers.

And he conducted himself with the swagger of a veteran who believes he can score whenever he needs to.

"I have that confidence now," Dixon said. "Hopefully I can."

The Bearcats will go for their 12th straight victory tonight when they face St. Francis (Pa.) at Fifth Third Arena. UC's most recent 12-0 start was in 2003-04.

Dixon, a 6-foot-3 junior guard, averaged 6.1 points during his first two seasons. This season he's averaging 13.3, and he has scored in double figures in seven straight games and nine of 11.

"I think he looked in the mirror after the season and said, 'I can buy into what I'm being told by everybody and make these changes or I'm going to keep sitting on the bench and I'm not going to get any better,' " UC coach Mick Cronin said.

Dixon always had talent, Cronin said. He averaged 21.8 points in high school.

"For him, the biggest intangible is a level of toughness," Cronin said. "He's got a great body. It was a matter of being more comfortable with the contact and the physicality in our league."

Dixon seems to have figured out what it takes to succeed on the college level. And he's not so far removed from his status as a role player to forget what helped him to get where he is now.

"I don't feel like I'm as good as I need to be," Dixon said. "I'm just going to keep working."

When a coach recruits a player, Cronin said, he tells him how much he loves his game, knowing the whole time that what a player did in high school doesn't necessarily work in college. That can lead to doubt and in some cases, surrender.

Even Lance Stephenson, as talented as he was, discovered last year that he couldn't drive the ball to the basket with little resistance the way he did in high school.

Stephenson had enough pure talent to leave for the NBA, where he's getting paid to improve his game. Most players, including Dixon, don't have that option.

"You can quit, transfer or go home," Cronin said, "or you fight through it and become a man and become a better player. I give him credit. He's fought through it and become a better player."

Cronin became convinced Dixon could be an impact player during UC's trip to Canada in September, when he scored eight straight points to fight off a comeback attempt by six-time national champion Carleton.

"He believed in himself," Cronin said. "A big part of it was he needed to know that I believed in him."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../12230344/

12-23-2010 06:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
RE: Dixon moves to forefront
He's done the same thing that guys like Brannen, KMart, Logan, and Hicks did............worked to improve as a player and turn himself into an impact player. Typically happens between their sophomore and junior seasons or junior to senior seasons.

I hope it's for real and I hope it continues. Because I really like what Dixon brings to the table.

12-23-2010 08:11 AM
budman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats
I've liked Dixon ever since he was recruited. He was the sophmore varsity PG playing behind Willie Warren in high school, and by his senior year was the 2nd best player in the state of Illinois. I knew he had the talent. He's only going to get better.

12-23-2010 10:20 AM
GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

I Root For: UC
(12-23-2010 10:20 AM)budman Wrote:  I've liked Dixon ever since he was recruited. He was the sophmore varsity PG playing behind Willie Warren in high school, and by his senior year was the 2nd best player in the state of Illinois. I knew he had the talent. He's only going to get better.

He played behind Sherron Collins in HS...

12-23-2010 11:00 AM
Advertisement

budman Offline
Bench Warmer

That's right. Collins I knew it was the star PG for one of the B12 powers. Just too lazy to look it up.

12-23-2010 01:15 PM
budman Offline
Bench Warmer

Also knew some astute hoops fan would correct it.

;-)

12-23-2010 01:16 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Love his game and attitude this year. The article mentions that one of his issues early was not liking contact etc. and that he has adjusted to that this year which is one of the reasons he's really improved....I hope once BE play starts which will feature even more contact than the first 12 games that he doesn't "fade off" because we NEED this kid if we are going to do anything in conference play. Let's hope he keeps it up!

12-26-2010 08:27 AM
Advertisement

vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Dion Dixon has always believed in himself. That is why "the turnover" in last year's Big East tournament game vs. WVU was so devastating to the kid. But it is also the reason that he renewed his commitment to being the best player he could be and let the chips fall where they may. His attitude is tremendous. You can tell that by his body language, which conveys the impression of "Bring it on". I'm ready."

12-26-2010 09:46 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Remember the UC-Miss St game back at US bank Arena a couple of years ago when Dion was a Freshman.
Although he was a true freshman I really thought he had hops and a strong body to drive inside and a
good outside shot. Not surprised that he is starting to excel.

12-26-2010 01:08 PM
DP3113 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-26-2010 01:08 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Remember the UC-Miss St game back at US bank Arena a couple of years ago when Dion was a Freshman.
Although he was a true freshman I really thought he had hops and a strong body to drive inside and a

what in particular about the MSU game are you referencing?

12-26-2010 03:28 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(12-26-2010 03:28 PM)DP3113 Wrote:  
(12-26-2010 01:08 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Remember the UC-Miss St game back at US bank Arena a couple of years ago when Dion was a Freshman.

Why do you ask?

12-26-2010 08:52 PM
BearcatShane09 Offline
1st String

(12-26-2010 08:52 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Why do you ask?

I'm actually curious too. From that game I remember Gates having a solid game inside and Vaughn catching fire before the half. I don't remember anything about Dion. Not saying he didn't have a good game I just don't remember.

12-26-2010 11:28 PM
DP3113 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Why do you ask?

you said "remember that game when dion was a freshman," but you referenced nothing in particular that dion did that game or gave reason as to why you referenced that game versus any other game his freshman year. that is why i asked.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2010 12:27 AM by DP3113.)
12-27-2010 12:27 AM
Advertisement

BearcatShane09 Offline
1st String

Just looked it up, Dion scored 14 in that game and hit a couple 3's.

12-27-2010 12:43 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(12-27-2010 12:27 AM)DP3113 Wrote:  

Why do you ask?
you said "remember that game when dion was a freshman," but you referenced nothing in particular that dion did that game or gave reason as to why you referenced that game versus any other game his freshman year. that is why i asked.

First time I noticed his potential

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2010 06:28 AM by SuperFlyBCat.)
12-27-2010 06:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.