Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Cronin ‘very disappointed’ over Miami ticket policy
[Image: banner_uc_570x215.jpg]

Posted by bkoch 12/22/10, 11:23 am

Before last night it had been 18 years since UC had played basketball at Miami. Based on Miami’s ticket policy for that game, it might be a lot longer before the Bearcats return to Oxford.

UC coach Mick Cronin said this morning he “was very disappointed” when he learned that Miami was forcing all fans – UC fans included – to purchase tickets for not only the UC-Miami game but also either the Miami-Ball State or Miami-Western Michigan game if they wanted to see last night’s game. The minimum cost was $40 per ticket package or a minimum of $80 for a party of two.

A Miami official said Miami did make single-game tickets available through UC, but those who didn’t buy them in advance found out about the policy when they arrived at Millett Hall last night. (There was also a warning on this blog yesterday afternoon.).

“Before we ever think about going back to Miami,” Cronin said, “our athletic department will be discussing the ticket issue last night. When I found out about the ticket situation, I was disappointed, very disappointed.”

Miami is scheduled to play at Fifth Third Arena next year in the final game of the current three-game arrangement between the two schools.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2010/12/2...et-policy/

12-22-2010 11:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Cronin ‘very disappointed’ over Miami ticket policy
Let's hope UC enacts a similar policy. You'd think Miami would be more grateful towards UC considering UC's is letting their football team practice at the JASC. Maybe MU is angry about the arrangement of that deal.

12-22-2010 11:55 AM
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(12-22-2010 11:55 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Let's hope UC enacts a similar policy. You'd think Miami would be more grateful towards UC considering UC's is letting their football team practice at the JASC. Maybe MU is angry about the arrangement of that deal.

UC should never play Miami in Oxford period. That also applies to Football. Miami attendance in football and basketball is bad and there is little hope of it turning around.

12-22-2010 12:16 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-22-2010 11:55 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Let's hope UC enacts a similar policy. You'd think Miami would be more grateful towards UC considering UC's is letting their football team practice at the JASC. Maybe MU is angry about the arrangement of that deal.

Doubtful anyone at MU is angry, just incompetent.

12-22-2010 12:32 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
Apparently there are a lot of mad Miami alums that are flooding the athletic department with their angry calls and emails and are supposedly not planning to attend any more MU games and many left the ticket window pi$$ed and went back home. Apparently they have $10 tickets at the door, but were still charging $40 at tipoff for the 2 pack. This decision could come back and bite the Redhawks.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 12:48 PM by BigDawg.)
12-22-2010 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
The following were on Lance"s blog, they are supposedly letters written by Miami alums:

Quote:I received this email from a listener this morning:

To Brad Bates and the Miami Athletic Department:
I wanted to express my extreme disappointment with your handling of the Miami-UC game Tuesday night.
I'm a '89 graduate of Miami. I got off work early Tuesday because we had a rare free night as a family. I decided to take my three sons and their friend to the game. All four boys play youth basketball and have never been to a Miami game. I figured you couldn't beat a $10 general admission ticket to see the Redhawks play an undefeated UC team. I got to the ticket window and was informed that five tickets would not be $50, but instead $200! I about passed out. I was explained the decision by Miami to attach another game to the deal and make it a 2-game package for $40 a ticket. I stepped out of line and quickly tried to figure out what to do. It's the holidays and I simply could not afford to drop $200 to see a game...and maybe be able to make it out to another game later in the year. I had to explain to the four boys I simply did not have the money. We left. I wish you could have been a part of the conversation many fans were having as they also made the decision to walk away and go home last night. My holiday is now about the look of disappointment on the faces of the boys as we turned around and drove home. Trust me, I won't make the trip again.
Disappointed,
T.M.

I am a 2000 graduate of Miami (last class of Redskins!!!!!). I too was disappointed with the decision to be forced to buy 2 games, like everyone else. The fact that they were still trying to make people buy 2 games at the door is ridiculous. I was told that since I didn't know if I would make a another Miami basketball game, that I could "donate" my other game ticket. For a university that has struggled for years to get attendance (remember in the early 2000s they were threatened to be dropped to D 1-A for football, or whatever it is called now), they have effectively found a way to turn off fans and alumni.
I applaud UC for the deal they are offering fans right now for basketball. In fact, I bought 2 games, UConn and Louisville, and I am considering the Georgetown game. UC noticed a problem, and decided to address the issue. I voiced my opinion to Miami, I'm sure others did too, and it went ignored. I know I won't be making any trips in the near future to Miami for a sporting event. If they are not willing to listen to the fans and especially the alumni, then I have no reason to attend any sporting event there.
Just my thoughts. Sad it came to this point.
M.K.

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

12-22-2010 12:55 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(12-22-2010 12:16 PM)kyucat Wrote:  UC should never play Miami in Oxford period. That also applies to Football. Miami attendance in football and basketball is bad and there is little hope of it turning around.

I agree with you. However Mick said that due to budget restraints in the athletic department that they can't simply pay mid-majors to come to 5/3 so instead they've had to start doing 2 for 1's with teams like Miami and Wright St. If we have to do 2 for 1's with mid-major schools I would like it to be with schools like Miami and Wright St. since I can still go see those games(even offer the same deal to Dayton).

The ticket policy however was idiotic. That trick may have worked when we were #1 and selling out every game but we struggle badly with attendance now. If I'm Miami and I have my oldest rival coming to play in Oxford for the first time in 18 years I'm offering tickets for $10 and trying to get as many fans into the game as possible. Missed opportunity for them and it sounds like their fans are pissed, with good reason.

12-22-2010 03:36 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
Wow. How stupid can an athletic department be. Talk about infuriating your fans. They should have known many UC fans would attend last night's game and would not be interested in any other Miami games. That's just idiotic.

12-22-2010 03:51 PM
socTHEgreat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Accountability
Does anyone know the reported attendance of the Miami game last night? Just curious.

12-22-2010 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Online
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Assanine.

12-22-2010 03:55 PM
UCEE73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats
(12-22-2010 03:52 PM)socTHEgreat Wrote:  Does anyone know the reported attendance of the Miami game last night? Just curious.

3297 from the box score on gobearcats.com

12-22-2010 04:01 PM
SeventiesCat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bearcats
To offer this as a pre-sale package is one thing, to still be enforcing it for ticket purchases at the gate is nuts. I had planned on going but got the blog post before I headed to Oxford and stayed home.

12-22-2010 04:45 PM
WalterSobchak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MY BEARCATS
Muck Fiami! 02-13-banana

12-22-2010 04:49 PM
Advertisement

mikecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uc bearcats
(12-22-2010 04:01 PM)UCEE73 Wrote:  
(12-22-2010 03:52 PM)socTHEgreat Wrote:  Does anyone know the reported attendance of the Miami game last night? Just curious.

3297 from the box score on gobearcats.com

judging from that number I would say their little gimmick backfired on them badly.

12-22-2010 05:00 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
There's a reason that place is like being in a funeral home for a game. Well played Miami Athletic Dept, you imbecilic bast*rds.

12-22-2010 05:05 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Miami just severely damaged their fan base with this stunt. Xavier fans are saying that Miami didn't do that with them they only did it with UC. People around the area complain and wonder why we don't want to play them consistently and it's because of crap like this. One thing I enjoy when it comes to playing Xavier and Dayton is that they'll be straight up when it comes to ticket sales. This is ridiculous, we finally go down to Oxford in basketball and they leech off the UC name. Pathetic. That makes me sick to my stomach because not only did they screw us, they screwed their own fan base. That dad's story about he and his sons having to turn themselves away from the game broke my heart. A complete and utter joke.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 08:01 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-22-2010 07:57 PM
namrag Offline
All American

I Root For:
PieHole called me about going, but I already knew about the ripoff ticket deal from being reported on here, so we didn't go.

I would have loved to go. But to drive from Troy to Miami to pay $40 for the game (because there was no way in he11 I would go back for a second game), no way.

I got the game on Direct TV, so it was all good, except for the Miami homer announcers.

12-22-2010 08:54 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Let me add... great find CT 04-bow P!ssing off UC is one thing, but p!ssing off your own is just too much 03-lmfao

12-22-2010 10:33 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-22-2010 11:52 AM)ctipton Wrote:  [Image: banner_uc_570x215.jpg]

Posted by bkoch 12/22/10, 11:23 am

Before last night it had been 18 years since UC had played basketball at Miami. Based on Miami’s ticket policy for that game, it might be a lot longer before the Bearcats return to Oxford.

UC coach Mick Cronin said this morning he “was very disappointed” when he learned that Miami was forcing all fans – UC fans included – to purchase tickets for not only the UC-Miami game but also either the Miami-Ball State or Miami-Western Michigan game if they wanted to see last night’s game. The minimum cost was $40 per ticket package or a minimum of $80 for a party of two.

A Miami official said Miami did make single-game tickets available through UC, but those who didn’t buy them in advance found out about the policy when they arrived at Millett Hall last night. (There was also a warning on this blog yesterday afternoon.).

“Before we ever think about going back to Miami,” Cronin said, “our athletic department will be discussing the ticket issue last night. When I found out about the ticket situation, I was disappointed, very disappointed.”

Miami is scheduled to play at Fifth Third Arena next year in the final game of the current three-game arrangement between the two schools.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2010/12/2...et-policy/

And UC let's these a$$holes use their practice facility for Bowl preparation for Free. What in the hell is wrong with UC's administration?

12-24-2010 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.