Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If Nova doesnt move up...
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
If Nova doesnt move up...
I can't help but feel that the Big East may still say they want a football-only member so as not to have to share the pie, at least for right now.

TCU had all the leverage in the world for all their sports. And because of the increase of football inventory (for TV) that 10 teams will give them (and because they said they were going to 10), I think we can assume they are adding someone else.

If you go back to Marinatto's comments about not adding "full value" (They didnt consider TCU at that point). Marinatto will have to back off that statement if he adds another all sports member.

Anyone else think they may seriously be considering football-only? What is the Big East up to?
12-13-2010 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: If Nova doesnt move up...
(12-13-2010 08:31 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  I can't help but feel that the Big East may still say they want a football-only member so as not to have to share the pie, at least for right now.

TCU had all the leverage in the world for all their sports. And because of the increase of football inventory (for TV) that 10 teams will give them (and because they said they were going to 10), I think we can assume they are adding someone else.

If you go back to Marinatto's comments about not adding "full value" (They didnt consider TCU at that point). Marinatto will have to back off that statement if he adds another all sports member.

Anyone else think they may seriously be considering football-only? What is the Big East up to?

No, it will be a full membership...
12-13-2010 08:40 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
No they, add either UCF or ECU for all-sports and stop at 10/18, or go to 12/20 with all sports members. If we go to 12, 14, or 16 from below teams and split:

Central Florida
East Carolina
Houston
Kansas
Kansas State
Memphis
Missouri
SMU
Temple

04-cheers
12-13-2010 08:42 PM
Metacog Drivel Offline
2nd String

Why would they stay at 17 bball teams? Doesn't make much sense, but I guess ya never know.
12-13-2010 08:42 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
If Nova says no I do not see The Big East being in a hurry to add anyone else unless they can land a "No Brainer" school. They know the CUSA schools will be there when and if they ever need them....I think they will set their sights a littler higher to start with.
12-13-2010 08:48 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

Brett McMurhpy from FanHouse.com said this after TCU "UCF is next on list - after Villanova". He also broke the TCU news, so I think that's legit.

Football only is a short term solution that I think everyone wants to avoid IMO. Guess we will find out!
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2010 08:52 PM by saxamoophone.)
12-13-2010 08:49 PM
Advertisement

saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

(12-13-2010 08:48 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  If Nova says no I do not see The Big East being in a hurry to add anyone else unless they can land a "No Brainer" school. They know the CUSA schools will be there when and if they ever need them....I think they will set their sights a littler higher to start with.

TV, TV, TV, TV 03-wink.

I don't see the BIG12 splitting until Texas gets bored!
12-13-2010 08:54 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Regardless of whether Nova says yes or no I think the Big East will wait to see if the Big 12 de-stabalizes again and Kansas, Kansas St. and Missouri are willing to join the conference. If that never happens, it gives the C-USA schools in waiting a few years to show their potential. It seems to be a winning proposition for the BEast. The darkhorse-sleeper-wildcard is UMass I think. If they move up, they'll have a few years along with C-USA schools to show what they can do.
12-13-2010 08:55 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2010 08:54 PM)saxamoophone Wrote:  
(12-13-2010 08:48 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  If Nova says no I do not see The Big East being in a hurry to add anyone else unless they can land a "No Brainer" school. They know the CUSA schools will be there when and if they ever need them....I think they will set their sights a littler higher to start with.

TV, TV, TV, TV 03-wink.

I don't see the BIG12 splitting until Texas gets bored!

I think there is a fanbase that is setting themselves up for some major disappointment....What does the Big East actually gain from adding another Non-AQ School at this time. The Big East will take their time in an effort to land a "Name Brand" school before they dip into the CUSA ranks again.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2010 09:11 PM by ECU-DMB Fanatic.)
12-13-2010 09:10 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

(12-13-2010 08:55 PM)army56mike Wrote:  If that never happens, it gives the C-USA schools in waiting a few years to show their potential. It seems to be a winning proposition for the BEast. The darkhorse-sleeper-wildcard is UMass I think. If they move up, they'll have a few years along with C-USA schools to show what they can do.

A few years? Time out...hold the phone.....I thought UCF was about to get invited any day now. Like...right after the C-USA Championship......

03-melodramatic 04-jawdrop
12-13-2010 09:10 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

(12-13-2010 09:10 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  I think there is a fanbase that is setting themselves up for some major disappointment....What does the Big East actually gain from adding another Non-AQ School at this time. The Big East will take their time in an effort to land a "Name Brand" school before they dip into the CUSA ranks again.
If only there was a school out there with a TOP 25 football team, and a TOP 30 Basketball team. And if only that school was in a major media market. And hopefully they could prove a commitment to athletic facilities (like spending over $150 in ten years). And if only they had a huge student body and a fast growing alumni base in the country 03-wink.

If only 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2010 09:24 PM by saxamoophone.)
12-13-2010 09:21 PM
Advertisement

chrisharper80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
I believe it will be an all-sports membership, and I feel pretty good about Houston's chances. Call me crazy.
12-13-2010 09:27 PM
Jeepers44 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Syracuse
For all you UCF/ECU/etc fans, as someone who was hoping to join the BigTen for a whole year, don't get your hopes up. I don't really see the BE going to 10 without Nova. TCU gave me a much better picture of the BE's thinking, and I just can't see anyone else (besides b12 teams) being added now.
12-13-2010 09:32 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2010 09:21 PM)saxamoophone Wrote:  
(12-13-2010 09:10 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  I think there is a fanbase that is setting themselves up for some major disappointment....What does the Big East actually gain from adding another Non-AQ School at this time. The Big East will take their time in an effort to land a "Name Brand" school before they dip into the CUSA ranks again.
If only there was a school out there with a TOP 25 football team, and a TOP 30 Basketball team. And if only that school was in a major media market. And hopefully they could prove a commitment to athletic facilities (like spending over $150 in ten years). And if only they had a huge student body and a fast growing alumni base in the country 03-wink.

If only 03-wink

Not trying to get into an argument with you...Just giving my opinion, we shall see how it plays out.
12-13-2010 09:32 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2010 09:32 PM)Jeepers44 Wrote:  For all you UCF/ECU/etc fans, as someone who was hoping to join the BigTen for a whole year, don't get your hopes up. I don't really see the BE going to 10 without Nova. TCU gave me a much better picture of the BE's thinking, and I just can't see anyone else (besides b12 teams) being added now.

ECU fans have been through this same song and dance a few times with The Big East so I do not think many of us are expecting anything to happen with ECU and The Big East. And I agree 100% with your thoughts on further expansion.
12-13-2010 09:35 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

(12-13-2010 09:32 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  Not trying to get into an argument with you...Just giving my opinion, we shall see how it plays out.

oh I know, no worries.

Obviously I'm bias towards UCF, but I think they do bring a lot to the table (I think it's a safe investment for the BIG EAST.... more so than NOVA).

In the end I'd love to see UCF & ECU end up together in the BIG EAST. Both schools have great expanding fan based, a commitment to football, and a big desire for big time football. It would make for one hell of a 11 team league IMO. (with space for NOVA or ND).
12-13-2010 10:02 PM
Advertisement

HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
(12-13-2010 08:42 PM)Metacog Drivel Wrote:  Why would they stay at 17 bball teams? Doesn't make much sense, but I guess ya never know.

They play 18 conference games right now, so it doesnt matter how many teams they have as long as it isnt 20.

The reasoning is that the bball teams wouldnt want to split the bball revenue another way. TCU already isnt bringing in ANY bball revenue.
12-13-2010 10:26 PM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I'm just going to go by what the Big East has said and the leads from actual reports that have not fallen through and things seems consistent with what has been reported, regarding Villanova. The Big East has said that they want to expand to 10 football playing schools and I believe they will do so. 10 gives the Big East a more solid footing with the criticism from other BCS conferences about them only having 8 teams. Although 9 satisfies scheduling needs...10 is better overall. They took TCU for all-sports and having 10-17 isn't much different than 10-18. Especially when #17 and #18 bring in large TV markets to maximize on their next TV deal.

As for TV...TV markets are all about ad revenue they'll get for their network and deals with other networks. The bigger the market...the more TV sets...the more TV sets...the more ad revenue that can be generated.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2010 11:19 PM by Goldenbuc.)
12-13-2010 11:16 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-13-2010 09:21 PM)saxamoophone Wrote:  

If only 03-wink

Your programs "seem" to be heading in the right direction but a lot of your fans throw that top 25 top 30 stuff out as if you have been doing this consistently. Just my opinion but it seems like its tossed out there to poke at the ECU fans.
12-13-2010 11:26 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-13-2010 11:16 PM)Goldenbuc Wrote:  I'm just going to go by what the Big East has said and the leads from actual reports that have not fallen through and things seems consistent with what has been reported, regarding Villanova. The Big East has said that they want to expand to 10 football playing schools and I believe they will do so. 10 gives the Big East a more solid footing with the criticism from other BCS conferences about them only having 8 teams. Although 9 satisfies scheduling needs...10 is better overall. They took TCU for all-sports and having 10-17 isn't much different than 10-18. Especially when #17 and #18 bring in large TV markets to maximize on their next TV deal.

As for TV...TV markets are all about ad revenue they'll get for their network and deals with other networks. The bigger the market...the more TV sets...the more TV sets...the more ad revenue that can be generated.

There was also reports that came out with Big East wanting a football "only". Nobody really knows what will happen. The whole TCU thing came out of no where and most people on this board was arguing over Memphis, ECU, and UCF. I'm not saying that there will be a football only but there are certainly articles to back that claim up. At this point i'm happy with TCU and I really don't want another mouth to feed unless we get more bang for our buck. Thats just my opinion.
12-13-2010 11:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.