Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mishler; Grimm; Balocka: where are they now?
Bookmark and Share
Wadood Abides Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
Mishler; Grimm; Balocka: where are they now?
Blake Mishler is finally getting some PT at Illinois State as a 5th year senior. He is listed at 6'8" 245. He had a nifty presence around the basket at times. Being left handed was a bonus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/pro...erId=32160

Grimm is playing for Grace College in Indiana. This is about as low on the rung as college basketball gets. It appears from the stat lines that he finally has the green light to shoot, but he isn't putting up many points.

http://www.dakstats.com/WebSync/Pages/Te...&plr=68664

I found this article about Grimm.
http://www.grace.edu/newsandevents/?p=1931

Reading between the lines, the kid has one messed up backstory. Best wishes to him.

One more....Petras Balocka is back in Lithuania. He originally signed with a Vilnius team called Lietuvos Rytas but was assigned/loaned to a lower division club called Perlas in the Baltic League when the big club joined the EuroLeague season. Sadly for Petras, Perlas waived him this week.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cnt...erID=56192
11-30-2010 05:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Equus innominata Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Mishler; Grimm; Balocka: where are they now?
Does anyone know where former Bucs are playing? i thought I saw that Tiggs was in Greece or Cyprus and that Pigram had moved from Andorra to Lebanon.

What is life like for an American in those kinds of leagues? Can you make living at it?
11-30-2010 07:55 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Thanks for the updates.
11-30-2010 08:46 PM
Buc Island Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, UNC
Never really thought much of Mishler or Balocka; Mishler always seemed kind of out of it to me, and Balocka just didn't give a crap. Grimm had a lot of promise coming in, and I thought looked like he didn't mind playing defense when he got on the floor for us; I guess he and his dad just wanted him to be able to shoot it every time down the floor, which, even in Bartow's offense, won't work - especially with a slow release. Thought he could have been better, but it sounds like ETSU wasn't a good fit basketball-wise or personally for any of these guys.
12-01-2010 12:36 PM
oldbuc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mr. Jennings
Heres the thread on past bucs and where they are playing now, and to answer the question if you can make a living playing in the middle east , well that is where the oil is isn't it lol, and in the 9 teams in lebanon there are 4 ex nba players in the league and only 2-3 americans per team.

Ex buc thread
http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=445166
12-02-2010 02:28 PM
oldbuc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mr. Jennings
And also pigram was waived from the team in preseasonand currently isnt signed anywhere.
12-02-2010 02:30 PM
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

Tiggs update (nice article):

Tiggs plays on, and gives ETSU props....
06-22-2011 11:40 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Awesome article.
06-23-2011 10:23 AM
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
It's nice to see Tiggs making all those great comments about Coach Bartow, the Johnson City community and Buc fans.. this is the kind of stuff I hope potential recruits see when they search for info on the Buc basketball program...........very .. very positive!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU KEVIN......
06-23-2011 08:38 PM
Courtside Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jacksonville
Balocka and Cliff Warren ran into each other recently

http://www.judolphins.com/mbasketball/news/223/15666/
07-05-2011 11:15 PM
Heisman

(11-30-2010 05:49 PM)Wadood Abides Wrote:  Blake Mishler is finally getting some PT at Illinois State as a 5th year senior. He is listed at 6'8" 245. He had a nifty presence around the basket at times. Being left handed was a bonus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/pro...erId=32160

Grimm is playing for Grace College in Indiana. This is about as low on the rung as college basketball gets. It appears from the stat lines that he finally has the green light to shoot, but he isn't putting up many points.

http://www.dakstats.com/WebSync/Pages/Te...&plr=68664

I found this article about Grimm.
http://www.grace.edu/newsandevents/?p=1931

Reading between the lines, the kid has one messed up backstory. Best wishes to him.

One more....Petras Balocka is back in Lithuania. He originally signed with a Vilnius team called Lietuvos Rytas but was assigned/loaned to a lower division club called Perlas in the Baltic League when the big club joined the EuroLeague season. Sadly for Petras, Perlas waived him this week.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cnt...erID=56192

Since I mentioned Bruce Grimm recently in another thread (our new "preferred walk-on" reminded me slightly of him), I poked around and read up on what happened to him. One of the first things one finds is the article (above) Wadood Abides posted back in 2010. Further exploration brought up stuff about his father, Bruce Grimm, Sr. I did NOT know he was a star gunner for Furman back in the '70s; transferred to Providence one year; then transferred *back* to Furman. Averaged over 24 pts. a game one year. Let loose for 33 in a win by 15 over UNC (ranked #3 at the time), and then beat NC St. the very next night. Apparently he was "pushed" strongly by *his* father (one wag said that his father was the perfect "stage mother"). So now it's a bit easier to see how/why the Bruce Grimm, Jr./Bruce Grimm, Sr./ETSU saga played out. So yeah, "messed-up backstory" is an understatement.

Lately, he's been an insurance agent back in Indiana, and is now a "brand manager" for a sports marketing group.
04-05-2017 11:09 AM
Advertisement

Wadood Abides Offline
Bench Warmer

Mishler finished law school at Drake and has joined a small town firm in Illinois.

Balocka knocked around the Euro second and third tier leagues until 2015.
04-06-2017 07:46 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
WOW these are names I haven't heard in a loooooooooooooooong time. Any word on the PG from I believe Baltimore that came for a season then transferred? He was suppose to take over PG duties from Sollazzo after he graduated. I remember his father was a police officer and he was going to study criminal justice. I was excited about him at the time. Like Grim he had a monster state title run from a scoring standpoint.

I can't remember his name for the life of me...
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2017 03:30 PM by BucNut22.)
04-11-2017 03:28 PM
BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

(04-11-2017 03:28 PM)BucNut22 Wrote:  WOW these are names I haven't heard in a loooooooooooooooong time. Any word on the PG from I believe Baltimore that came for a season then transferred? He was suppose to take over PG duties from Sollazzo after he graduated. I remember his father was a police officer and he was going to study criminal justice. I was excited about him at the time. Like Grim he had a monster state title run from a scoring standpoint.

I believe you may be thinking of Ryan Woumn who was from Lynn, Massachusetts (near Boston). His father was a police officer and one of the reasons Ryan cited for coming to ETSU (it seems unlikely that it was for the opportunity of being coached by he who shall not be named) was its law enforcement program.
04-11-2017 03:41 PM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

(04-11-2017 03:41 PM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  I believe you may be thinking of Ryan Woumn who was from Lynn, Massachusetts (near Boston). His father was a police officer and one of the reasons Ryan cited for coming to ETSU (it seems unlikely that it was for the opportunity of being coached by he who shall not be named) was its law enforcement program.

I don't think that's who he's thinking of (since Woumn spent two years here), but Ryan transferred to Merrimack and didn't make much of an impact.

When I think of Bartow recruiting disasters, I always think of that ill-fated 2012-13 season, when Cooley and Dubose got kicked off the team right after the start of the year, then two freshmen transferred at the end of the season. Petey McClain was the only frosh from that class who stuck it out all four years, while Mario Stramaglia and Yunio Barrueta both bounced after year one.

Stramaglia went to West Florida and was just an okay D2 player, but I was interested to see what Barrueta did after leaving. Barrueta - whose name Murry could never pronounce correctly (he always said "Junior Baroota") and who we "flipped" from Embry-Riddle at the last minute (God our program has come a long way) - transferred to Barry and became a D2 superstar. He set Barry's all-time scoring (1,781) and rebounding (858) records in three years and is having a great rookie season in Belgium. I only met him once, seemed like a really nice kid, but he was too much of a project for MuBar's staff and wasn't going to do anything like what he did at Barry against D1 competition. Glad it worked out for him.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 09:12 AM by Mister Consistency.)
04-15-2017 09:11 AM
Heisman

You may have forgotten (or missed) last year's slam dunk competition, in which Yunio came out of the "Dark Horse" bracket (small non-DI schools) to compete against Deuce Bello and the others. We discussed him at that time:

2016 Slam Dunk Competition

Without going back and documenting it, I was one who saw (kinda late) that Yunio had range - shocking range - but murry either didn't know it, or didn't trust it. I won't say he would have been a "star" for ETSU, but he was quite a bit better than bartow knew, and better than most of us knew. IMO he never got a fair chance - not unusual during our last regime.

Stramaglia remains a mystery to me as to why he didn't do well. I recently went back and watched quite a bit of his high school footage - and his game and shooting seemed to be "can't miss". Yet clearly at the college level his shooting just wasn't there. That said, he recently got married (and I think has a kid), and seems very happy - I believe living the beach life near Pensacola, but don't quote me on that.
04-15-2017 11:07 AM
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
(04-11-2017 03:41 PM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 03:28 PM)BucNut22 Wrote:  WOW these are names I haven't heard in a loooooooooooooooong time. Any word on the PG from I believe Baltimore that came for a season then transferred? He was suppose to take over PG duties from Sollazzo after he graduated. I remember his father was a police officer and he was going to study criminal justice. I was excited about him at the time. Like Grim he had a monster state title run from a scoring standpoint.

I believe you may be thinking of Ryan Woumn who was from Lynn, Massachusetts (near Boston). His father was a police officer and one of the reasons Ryan cited for coming to ETSU (it seems unlikely that it was for the opportunity of being coached by he who shall not be named) was its law enforcement program.
Yes it was Woumn!!! I didn't realize that he stayed two years, never saw him on the court.
04-19-2017 07:59 AM
Heisman

Here are some (very brief) updates on ex-Bucs from the Forbes era. It would have been nice for Avento to have provided updates of the others, too, but "cain't always get what you want...…":

Forbes's ex-players scattered across the globe (mostly Europe)

Meanwhile...………..Peter Jurkin is still trying to land in the NBA's G League:

We luvs us some diamond-in-the-rough
10-18-2018 03:12 PM
Heisman

This may not be the ideal place for this, but it's the closest I could find. There needs to be a dedicated 'section' for this stuff, but since there isn't..........

"Homecoming" for recent players

That's some happy-looking dudes. 03-thumbsup
06-24-2019 01:24 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

Great to hear that T.J. Cromer tore it up in the Ukraine (Rookie of the Year, led the league in scoring and assists). Also that he's going to Italy. Depending the level, that's a step up. A.J. always looks happy to be back at ETSU. And Isaac Banks - he really fit in well with Forbes and his energetic approach. Coach didn't hesitate to make good use of holdovers like Isaac and Petey McClain. Glad to hear that those good feelings have carried over for Isaac and T.J..
06-24-2019 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.