Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well Done Governor
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

I Root For: WMU
Well Done Governor
While I'm typically fine with infrastructure spending by the government, in this case I'm thrilled to see this already over-budget project killed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2723788020101027

UPDATE 3-New Jersey governor kills big rail tunnel project

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:17pm EDT

* Republican Christie says decision is final

* Debate illustrates U.S. quandary: stimulus or cutbacks?

* U.S. transportation secretary "extremely disappointed" (Adds reaction from transportation secretary)

By Jon Hurdle

TRENTON, New Jersey, Oct 27 (Reuters) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie pulled state funding from a $8.7 billion rail tunnel between New Jersey and Manhattan on Wednesday, killing the largest U.S. public works project under construction.

In withdrawing funding for the project, which would have created construction 6,000 jobs, Christie came down firmly on the side of deficit cutting over economic stimulus, an issue dividing politicians before Tuesday's congressional elections.

Christie, a Republican, originally withdrew funding for the tunnel on Oct. 7, saying his state lacked the money to cover cost overruns that could reach as high as $4.8 billion, but he had been reconsidering the decision at the request of U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

"I cannot place upon the citizens of New Jersey an open-ended letter of credit," Christie told reporters. "This decision is final."

The project has been backed by Democratic politicians and commentators who argue the tunnel was badly needed to complement the single, century-old passenger rail tunnel linking New Jersey and Manhattan. Christie also endorsed the project after taking office in January.

"I am extremely disappointed in Governor Christie's decision to abandon the ... tunnel project, which is a devastating blow to thousands of workers, millions of commuters and the state's economic future," LaHood, who had offered Christie financing options, said in a statement.

The tunnel controversy elevated Christie's national profile. The fiscal conservative has been campaigning for Republicans across the country before next week's congressional and gubernatorial elections and earlier this month won a Virginia Tea Party straw poll, topping Sarah Palin.

"I don't think there will be any benefit to me politically," Christie said.

"This is a dollars and cents issue. It's not a philosophical issue," he said.

NEW FEDERAL INCENTIVES

Christie said he met on Sunday with LaHood, who offered $378 million in increased federal funding plus two loan options: a $2.3 billion loan from a federal railroad fund and the possibility of $1.85 billion in financing from a public-private partnership.

The additional $378 million "didn't come close to turning my head," Christie said, rejecting the loan offers because they would have to be repaid.
10-27-2010 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: Well Done Governor
Ok, I'm sold.

Christie for pres 2012
10-27-2010 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
So, government criticizes banks that extend ridiculous lines of credit but encourages other government agencies to do it. . .

If you don't have the money. Don't buy it. Live without it until you can afford it.
10-27-2010 02:56 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(10-27-2010 02:56 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  If you don't have the money. Don't buy it. Live without it until you can afford it.

I wish my wife would come to understand that concept.
10-27-2010 03:30 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(10-27-2010 02:55 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Ok, I'm sold.

Christie for pres 2012

kill a project involving new rail transportation? Check
All torch needs now is for christie to criticize public schools and that'll be enough for him to want to marry the man.
10-27-2010 04:11 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(10-27-2010 04:11 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Christie for pres 2012

All torch needs now is for christie to criticize public schools and that'll be enough for him to want to marry the man.

Christie has taken on the NJ Teachers Unions.

So when is the Bachelor party?
10-27-2010 04:17 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(10-27-2010 02:56 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  So, government criticizes banks that extend ridiculous lines of credit but encourages other government agencies to do it. . .

If you don't have the money. Don't buy it. Live without it until you can afford it.

But.. But... But... all those union jobs lost! 02-13-banana
10-27-2010 04:18 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(10-27-2010 04:17 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  

Christie for pres 2012

So when is the Bachelor party?

I think I've been equally adamant on this issue...I'm only interested in a civil union.
10-27-2010 04:20 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Run the guy for POTUS and dig up Jesse Helms' body as his running mate.03-lmfao NO..NO..NO..NO...would be all you would hear.03-lmfao
10-27-2010 04:26 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(10-27-2010 04:17 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  

Christie for pres 2012

So when is the Tickle party?

FIFY
10-27-2010 04:57 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Quote:In withdrawing funding for the project, which would have created construction 6,000 jobs, Christie came down firmly on the side of deficit cutting over economic stimulus, an issue dividing politicians before Tuesday's congressional elections

why wasn't federal stimulus money used for this instead of spending it on discovering why jokes are funny?
10-28-2010 07:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.