UTSA, Texas State poised to leave for WAC
Bookmark and Share
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
UTSA, Texas State poised to leave for WAC
By Dan McCarney - Express-News
Web Posted: 09/29/2010 4:37 CDT

GRAPEVINE — Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett said Wednesday he’s already accepted that two of his strongest members, UTSA and Texas State, will be leaving to join the Western Athletic Conference.

“Quite honestly,” he said, “and this might be my personal opinion, but them going to the WAC is a foregone conclusion. It’s a ‘when,’ not an ‘if.’ ”

Despite his reluctance to address invitations, Benson (WAC Commish) set a high standard as he lavished praise on UTSA and Texas State during Wednesday’s teleconference.

“They’ve made very, very strong presentations,” he said. “They will be contributing members of the (Football Bowl Subdivision). Can they be the next Boise State? Absolutely.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/colle...34314.html
09-29-2010 05:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
RE: UTSA, Texas State poised to leave for WAC
Good for them. We won't have to be concerned about them coming here and telling us why we should take them in the Belt. They should be happy joining the 6 remaining WACsters and making it to FBS status. Just think. 4 of the 6 teams in the new WAC Lite have been Belt members. Tech (before football), NMSU, Idaho and USU. Maybe the conference should be called Belt Lite ?:odie:
09-29-2010 05:37 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-29-2010 05:37 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Good for them. We won't have to be concerned about them coming here and telling us why we should take them in the Belt. They should be happy joining the 6 remaining WACsters and making it to FBS status. Just think. 4 of the 6 teams in the new WAC Lite have been Belt members. Tech (before football), NMSU, Idaho and USU. Maybe the conference should be called Belt Lite ?:odie:

That is classic . . . Belt Lite . . . 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
09-29-2010 06:05 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(09-29-2010 05:37 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Good for them. We won't have to be concerned about them coming here and telling us why we should take them in the Belt. They should be happy joining the 6 remaining WACsters and making it to FBS status. Just think. 4 of the 6 teams in the new WAC Lite have been Belt members. Tech (before football), NMSU, Idaho and USU. Maybe the conference should be called Belt Lite ?:odie:

or Belt West
09-29-2010 08:41 PM
TopperTorpedo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
The way the WAC is shaping up, with all these non-FBS programs, maybe they ought to call it "A Belt in the Gut" conference.
09-29-2010 10:03 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(09-29-2010 05:16 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  By Dan McCarney - Express-News

GRAPEVINE — Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett said Wednesday he’s already accepted that two of his strongest members, UTSA and Texas State, will be leaving to join the Western Athletic Conference.

“Quite honestly,” he said, “and this might be my personal opinion, but them going to the WAC is a foregone conclusion. It’s a ‘when,’ not an ‘if.’ ”

Despite his reluctance to address invitations, Benson (WAC Commish) set a high standard as he lavished praise on UTSA and Texas State during Wednesday’s teleconference.

“They’ve made very, very strong presentations,” he said. “They will be contributing members of the (Football Bowl Subdivision). Can they be the next Boise State? Absolutely.”

Doesn't Texas State only average 12k or so in attendance?
09-29-2010 10:09 PM
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(09-29-2010 10:09 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

Yeah, something like that.
09-29-2010 11:46 PM
trojans664 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy University
(09-29-2010 11:46 PM)canewton Wrote:  
(09-29-2010 10:09 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

Yeah, something like that.

I'm sure the attendance will dramatically improve when they begin playing teams like Idaho and San Jose St though.
09-30-2010 12:32 AM
Blue Raider Dave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tenn
(09-29-2010 10:03 PM)TopperTorpedo Wrote:  The way the WAC is shaping up, with all these non-FBS programs, maybe they ought to call it "A Belt in the Gut" conference.

I kinda like "Below the Belt".
09-30-2010 07:31 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(09-30-2010 07:31 AM)Blue Raider Dave Wrote:  
(09-29-2010 10:03 PM)TopperTorpedo Wrote:  The way the WAC is shaping up, with all these non-FBS programs, maybe they ought to call it "A Belt in the Gut" conference.

I kinda like "Below the Belt".

+1000
09-30-2010 08:17 AM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
----------------------------------------------
Individual bias can backfire. The Sunbelt is going to regret their failure to be pro active and bring in these teams, especially utsa. Far too many fans look only at this or next season whereby the restructures are being set up for the long haul. UTSA is nothing today but in 10yr could easily be pulling 50,000 fans to a financially healthy and winning program.
09-30-2010 09:57 AM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(09-30-2010 09:57 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  UTSA is nothing today but in 10yr could easily be pulling 50,000 fans to a financially healthy and winning program.

Biggest bunch of bullsh*t I've ever read. Puhlease.
09-30-2010 10:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
(09-30-2010 09:57 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  Individual bias can backfire. The Sunbelt is going to regret their failure to be pro active and bring in these teams, especially utsa. Far too many fans look only at this or next season whereby the restructures are being set up for the long haul. UTSA is nothing today but in 10yr could easily be pulling 50,000 fans to a financially healthy and winning program.

Normally, I think you are full of manure, but in this case, you are absolutely correct.
09-30-2010 10:11 AM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-30-2010 09:57 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  
Individual bias can backfire. The Sunbelt is going to regret their failure to be pro active and bring in these teams, especially utsa. Far too many fans look only at this or next season whereby the restructures are being set up for the long haul. UTSA is nothing today but in 10yr could easily be pulling 50,000 fans to a financially healthy and winning program.

Would that same logic not apply to CUSA as well ???
09-30-2010 10:11 AM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2010 10:11 AM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  
(09-30-2010 09:57 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  Individual bias can backfire. The Sunbelt is going to regret their failure to be pro active and bring in these teams, especially utsa. Far too many fans look only at this or next season whereby the restructures are being set up for the long haul. UTSA is nothing today but in 10yr could easily be pulling 50,000 fans to a financially healthy and winning program.

Normally, I think you are full of manure, but in this case, you are absolutely correct.

Cajun, you are extremely bias in favor of UTSA. You have been pimping them for what seems to be forever.:odie:
09-30-2010 10:24 AM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(09-30-2010 10:11 AM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  

Exactly! If eager eagle's assesment is correct why wouldnt CUSA want them in their conference if they are such a gem? I am sure they could use a conference mate that "easily averages 50,000 fans a game".
09-30-2010 10:56 AM
Advertisement

eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-30-2010 10:56 AM)MT FAN Wrote:  

Exactly! If eager eagle's assesment is correct why wouldnt CUSA want them in their conference if they are such a gem? I am sure they could use a conference mate that "easily averages 50,000 fans a game".
-------------------------------------------------------
Cusa has studied expansion and decided to remain at 12. Utsa is top on their list if a team is ever needed in the West.
09-30-2010 12:25 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2010 12:25 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(09-30-2010 10:56 AM)MT FAN Wrote:  

-------------------------------------------------------
Cusa has studied expansion and decided to remain at 12. Utsa is top on their list if a team is ever needed in the West.

You cannot provide any proof of this statement. :odie:
09-30-2010 12:49 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
they are looking at the WAC because that is all they have an offer from

I think the WAC is a good idea because it is a conference they can win in and get to a bowl game in

no matter the perceived position of the bottom few conferences the reality is if a playoff comes all those same conferences will be treated the same.....more than likely some of the non-AQ conferences paired up having their top two teams play to get a playoff spot

even if it is just every conference winner gets in......that still puts the bottom few on the same footing.....so what will matter is being in a conference you can win

and more than likely when some of the 80-96 D1-A teams "move on" the last few to make the cut will be those with fans or those that have been winning the conference for the last few years.....or those with both

I am not sure UTSA could pull a consistent 50K in 10 years, but a consistent 38-42K I could see especially if they start to do some winning

hell the teams they will be playing are terrible and 4-5 years in you basically could easily have the same quality of recruits or better

even if a Texas team left the CUSA I doubt that UTSA is at the top of their list especially right now...I don't think any Texas team is at the top of their list I think they would not mind some geographic diversity outside of Texas

in a few years who knows, but surely not today

maybe if there was a big shake up and only two Texas teams or less were left in CUSA (like maybe Rice and SMU) then UTSA might have some appeal along with TxState to cover another large metro area and the heavily populated area between two others
09-30-2010 03:05 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Who knows? UTSA or Texas St could follow the Boise St formula become powers in the WAC and maybe one day go to the MWC. Boise at one time was just a jr college
09-30-2010 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.