Yet another transfer from a BIG PROGRAM
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Yet another transfer from a BIG PROGRAM
Alabama RB Mike Marrow has decided to transfer to EMU
http://www.tidesports.com/article/201009...n-Michigan

He was the #2 ranked fullback in the nation coming out of High School in Toledo in 2009. He redshirted last year and doesn't appear to have played this year.
09-15-2010 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dennis D. Rachwal Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eagles
RE: Yet another transfer from a BIG PROGRAM
DeliciousDiggFacebookGoogleMySpaceTwitterYahoo

Mike Marrow

Class:
Freshman

Hometown:
Holland, Ohio

High School:
Central Catholic

Height / Weight:
6-2 / 235

Position:
Running Back

Experience:
RS

OUTLOOK: Mike Marrow should give the Crimson Tide another option at fullback/h-back in 2010 ... coming off of a redshirt season, Marrow is a good blocker with good hands.

2009 (REDSHIRT): He redshirted during his initial season at Alabama.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: One of the top fullback prospects in the country ... a versatile athlete with tremendous size ... listed as the No. 2 overall fullback by ESPNU ... listed as the No. 11 fullback by Scout.com and 15th by Rivals.com ... 55th on Rivals.com list of postseason prospects in the state of Ohio ... rushed for 893 yards on 175 carries for Central Catholic while scoring 11 touchdowns ... played at New Albany (Ohio) High School as a junior in 2007, rushing for 810 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging just over five yards per carry ... father, Vince, played for eight years in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, New York Jets, Chicago Bears and the San Francisco 49ers ... played two Super Bowls with the Bills ... coached by Greg Dempsey at Central Catholic ... chose the Crimson Tide over Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin and Toledo.
09-15-2010 07:22 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Great he certainly fills a need at RB. However I always wonder why a transfer chooses EMU and the circumstances of how they got here.
I've learned from past experiences with EMU and football transfers is not to jump up and down about having them untiln they actually take the field for EMU. Thanks for the update KPJ and Dennis.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2010 01:05 PM by emu79.)
09-16-2010 03:51 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2010 03:51 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Great he certainly fills a need at RB. However I always wonder why a transfer chooses EMU and the circumstances of how they got here.
I've learned from past experience to jump up and down about having them when they actually take the field for EMU. Thanks for the update KPJ and Dennis.

I think the #1 reason a guy might transfer to the MAC or similar school is playing time.
09-16-2010 06:05 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I believe I read somewhere that he can also play linebacker...
If he is allowed to play this year because of his family situation I wonder if that's where he'll be on the field.
09-16-2010 06:17 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-16-2010 06:17 AM)KPJ Wrote:  I believe I read somewhere that he can also play linebacker...
If he is allowed to play this year because of his family situation I wonder if that's where he'll be on the field.

I'm wondering if this is an equivalent situation to our hoops transfer.

This kid did play in Toledo and wanted to get closer to home and EMU is certainly is a short enough drive.

How and why he chose EMU over other schools like UT and BG remain to be determined.

I believe he was ranked #55 in Ohio by Rivals and was a 3 star recruit. Recruits in that 50 - 60 range are almost always BCS recruits.
09-16-2010 06:49 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

This does help RB depth for future years but it is still a position where 1 or 2 more should be signed this winter.

On the current roster, Javonti Greene may be a player with potential but I think I read somewhere that he had a bad ankle. Also see the Dominique White is now listed as a RB. He looked pretty good a few years ago in the state championship game. Does anyone know anything about how these guys are doing at EMU?
09-16-2010 08:18 AM
cmadler Offline
Special Teams

(09-16-2010 06:49 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(09-16-2010 06:17 AM)KPJ Wrote:  I believe I read somewhere that he can also play linebacker...

This kid did play in Toledo and wanted to get closer to home and EMU is certainly is a short enough drive.

How and why he chose EMU over other schools like UT and BG remain to be determined.

I believe he was ranked #55 in Ohio by Rivals and was a 3 star recruit. Recruits in that 50 - 60 range are almost always BCS recruits.

Here's what I've pieced together from various reports:
http://easterneagles.wordpress.com/2010/...ma-to-emu/

For those who are familiar with eligibility and transfer requirements, I'm curious for your take on his situation. 1) If he hasn't played in a game at Alabama this fall (though he definitely has been practicing with them) and he has to sit out a year, does this fall count (in which case he could play for EMU in 2011), since he's already enrolled and attending classes at EMU? 2) What is the likelihood of the NCAA approving a waiver in a case like this? If it is likely, how long does that process usually take?
09-16-2010 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmadler Offline
Special Teams

He did play some defense his senior year in high school -- I'm not sure what position but linebacker seems most likely. He also practiced with the Alabama tight ends last year. Sounds like quite a versatile athlete!
09-16-2010 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-16-2010 03:51 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Great he certainly fills a need at RB. However I always wonder why a transfer chooses EMU and the circumstances of how they got here.
I've learned from past experience to jump up and down about having them when they actually take the field for EMU. Thanks for the update KPJ and Dennis.

I guessing here, but maybe he felt our offense fit him better then some others???

And yes, I agree, with '79, don't pop the champagne until he scores a few TDs or rushes for more then 100 yards.
09-16-2010 09:16 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

Listening to coach English talk about the linebackers, I'm pretty sure that if he is an improvement he'll be a linebacker.
09-16-2010 09:31 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2010 08:37 AM)cmadler Wrote:  
(09-16-2010 06:49 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Here's what I've pieced together from various reports:
http://easterneagles.wordpress.com/2010/...ma-to-emu/

For those who are familiar with eligibility and transfer requirements, I'm curious for your take on his situation. 1) If he hasn't played in a game at Alabama this fall (though he definitely has been practicing with them) and he has to sit out a year, does this fall count (in which case he could play for EMU in 2011), since he's already enrolled and attending classes at EMU? 2) What is the likelihood of the NCAA approving a waiver in a case like this? If it is likely, how long does that process usually take?

I think his status depends on weather or not he took classes at Alabama this year. If he took classes then he might not be eligible until 2012. If not then I think he'll be eligible in 2011 and it sounds like that's the case. I don't think there's any way he's eligible this year. Even though he redshirted last year he was still part of the team even if he didn't see game action (game action effects medical redshirts but I don't think it has anything to do with the transfer rules.

Too many "I thinks" in my scenario. Does anyone know the facts?
09-16-2010 09:41 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

http://www.tidesports.com/article/201009...?p=2&tc=pg

I'd guess he'll be eligible for the '11 season.

I don't think the '10 season counts as a season played. I don't know if there is a '25%' games played roll. Or if the player had not played has any impact.

Good that UofM and Wisonsin were further into their school years then EMU so he opted for EMU over one of those Big Ten schools.

English seems to have a lot of credability with players and coaches.. Coaches can act as 'surrogate parents' and influence a player not to attend a school which would not be deemed either good or a good fit.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2010 11:55 AM by emu steve.)
09-16-2010 11:47 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

(09-16-2010 11:47 AM)emu steve Wrote:  http://www.tidesports.com/article/201009...?p=2&tc=pg

I don't think the '10 season counts as a season played.

Good that UofM and Wisonsin were further into their school years then EMU so he opted for EMU over one of those Big Ten schools.

I don't drink, but here's to hoping he gets to play this year 04-cheers
09-16-2010 11:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-16-2010 11:56 AM)KPJ Wrote:  
(09-16-2010 11:47 AM)emu steve Wrote:  http://www.tidesports.com/article/201009...?p=2&tc=pg

I don't think the '10 season counts as a season played.

I don't drink, but here's to hoping he gets to play this year 04-cheers

I think the NCAA has standards for extreme cases, most likely where there is very serious illness or death to a players immediate family member.

I doubt that this would be the case here.
09-16-2010 12:01 PM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
In general, one has to have an academic year in residence after transfer before being eligible. The NCAA naturally has a definition of year in residence, but I think it boils down to two semesters. I'll look it up later. :-)
09-16-2010 12:53 PM
Advertisement

cmadler Offline
Special Teams

(09-16-2010 12:53 PM)BeatNavy Wrote:  In general, one has to have an academic year in residence after transfer before being eligible. The NCAA naturally has a definition of year in residence, but I think it boils down to two semesters. I'll look it up later. :-)

It is two semesters (not counting shorter spring/summer terms), so at EMU it would mean a Fall and a Winter term. I guess my question is: Given that he participated in football at Alabama in the fall of 2010 (whether or not he played in a game), can Fall 2010 count toward the year in residence?
09-16-2010 01:21 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2010 01:21 PM)cmadler Wrote:  
(09-16-2010 12:53 PM)BeatNavy Wrote:  In general, one has to have an academic year in residence after transfer before being eligible. The NCAA naturally has a definition of year in residence, but I think it boils down to two semesters. I'll look it up later. :-)

It is two semesters (not counting shorter spring/summer terms), so at EMU it would mean a Fall and a Winter term. I guess my question is: Given that he participated in football at Alabama in the fall of 2010 (whether or not he played in a game), can Fall 2010 count toward the year in residence?

I read the same thing that BeatNavy reported. The way I read it, this really has nothing to do with what he did at Alabama this season or when he left there. He's enrolled at EMU now and by next season he will have completed the year in residence at EMU. He plays in 2011!
09-16-2010 01:25 PM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
came back to say that cmadler's blog has the necessary link for transfer rules

I agree that the only question is whether his participation in fall 2010 Bama practices somehow makes this fall at EMU "not count" -- that might require a waiver
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2010 01:37 PM by BeatNavy.)
09-16-2010 01:35 PM
bja7777777 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-16-2010 01:25 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(09-16-2010 01:21 PM)cmadler Wrote:  

I read the same thing that BeatNavy reported. The way I read it, this really has nothing to do with what he did at Alabama this season or when he left there. He's enrolled at EMU now and by next season he will have completed the year in residence at EMU. He plays in 2011!

My understanding is that he is made the transfer for family reasons and I wonder if special rules apply in his situation. If not, then why is he practicing NOW with our starters? Seems to me he'll play this season at RB....
09-16-2010 07:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.