Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Thoughts from a Vol on Pearl and the hoops program
Bookmark and Share
africavol Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UT
Thoughts from a Vol on Pearl and the hoops program
All I can say is Bruce has nobody to blame but himself. When the NCAA comes on campus ya tell the truth...period!!!!! Now the NCAA will continue to dig....they will find more dirt..it aint hard to find on any campus in america if they start the search. Okay UT mens basketball that was kinda nice for a few years..Give Larry Porter some time..a good guy and he can recruit.
09-10-2010 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Thoughts from a Vol on Pearl and the hoops program
(09-10-2010 04:01 PM)africavol Wrote:  All I can say is Bruce has nobody to blame but himself. When the NCAA comes on campus ya tell the truth...period!!!!! Now the NCAA will continue to dig....they will find more dirt..it aint hard to find on any campus in america if they start the search. Okay UT mens basketball that was kinda nice for a few years..Give Larry Porter some time..a good guy and he can recruit.

No way. You lie and hope you don't get caught. You can't be half in. The only reason you are going to get screwed is because Kiffin and Pearl are so universally hated. That is the only reason why we forfeited our Final Four. The NCAA had a LOT more evidence during the deals with Tee Martin and Bensel-Myers and nothing came of it. The NCAA had a lot more evidence with Darrell Arthur and Corey Maggette and nothing came of it.

You need to hope that the NCAA doesn't impose more penalties. This is already going to majorly screw up your next 2 classes. Next year should be ok, but if you lose Hopson and Harris, you are in major trouble.
09-10-2010 04:22 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Sorry if this comes off as harsh but after hearing about how clean Pearl is and how dirty Memphis is for YEARS now from UT friends at work and even on message boards, I am very happy today.
09-10-2010 04:33 PM
Tiger.J Offline
Stay optimistic

(09-10-2010 04:33 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  Sorry if this comes off as harsh but after hearing about how clean Pearl is and how dirty Memphis is for YEARS now from UT friends at work and even on message boards, I am very happy today.

No doubt!
09-10-2010 04:41 PM
CCC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: M-Town
(09-10-2010 04:33 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  Sorry if this comes off as harsh but after hearing about how clean Pearl is and how dirty Memphis is for YEARS now from UT friends at work and even on message boards, I am very happy today.

The words "clean" and "Pearl" shouldn't be in the same sentence. The guy looks like he takes bi-weekly showers. He wants that spray-on tan to last as long as possible.
09-10-2010 06:04 PM
ballen Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-10-2010 04:01 PM)africavol Wrote:  All I can say is Bruce has nobody to blame but himself. When the NCAA comes on campus ya tell the truth...period!!!!! Now the NCAA will continue to dig....they will find more dirt..it aint hard to find on any campus in america if they start the search. Okay UT mens basketball that was kinda nice for a few years..Give Larry Porter some time..a good guy and he can recruit.

Good post - thanks!
09-10-2010 06:39 PM
Advertisement

alterego2 Away
Heisman

I Root For: My alma mater

Au contraire, when I visited Knoxville the last time our bb team beat them, all I heard from Vol fans was how dirty Pearl was, but they didn't care. All they wanted to do was win. They thought it was funny how he chased coeds, et cet.

I have no regard for the Pearl, but I have always been treated cordially in Knoxville, even though they do smack talk us. I look forward to my trip again to the Vile this winter to see our team whoop up on them again, and to talk to some folks who despise Kensucky even worse than I do. Cheers, AfricaVol! 04-cheers
09-10-2010 07:22 PM
msu83 Offline
Special Teams

Where have you been? Not seen your name in a while. Hope you are right about Porter..this is the hardest FB job in the country in my opinion.
09-10-2010 07:26 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
its a slap on the wrist.
Pearl is losing 1.5 mil for 5 yrs...thats $300,000 a year.
When you make ovr a million a year, it doen't hurt too bad.
Besides....if Pearl makes a NCAA tourney or somethng 2years from now, they'll just give him a raise and reinstate the money he lost.
09-11-2010 06:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

The Vol fans at my workplace have certainly lost a talking point employed against the Tigers.
09-11-2010 07:15 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(09-11-2010 06:17 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  its a slap on the wrist.
Besides....if Pearl makes a NCAA tourney or somethng 2years from now, they'll just give him a raise and reinstate the money he lost.

Losing 25% of your salary hurts no matter how much you make. The ban on not being able to recruit is worse. Plus these are just the self-imposed penalties. The NCAA doesn't like cheaters but you don't ever lie to them. They will come down harder on you if you do.
09-11-2010 07:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
i still dont get why pearl or sampson or any other coach so inclined to break that rule would use a university phone. get a private phone and use that for crying out loud. the ncaa doesnt have supeona power over those records
09-11-2010 07:50 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(09-11-2010 07:46 AM)mairving Wrote:  

Losing 25% of your salary hurts no matter how much you make. The ban on not being able to recruit is worse. Plus these are just the self-imposed penalties. The NCAA doesn't like cheaters but you don't ever lie to them. They will come down harder on you if you do.

the 25% hit applies to his staff, not Pearl.
09-11-2010 08:01 AM
TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

I Root For: another beer
(09-11-2010 07:50 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  i still dont get why pearl or sampson or any other coach so inclined to break that rule would use a university phone. get a private phone and use that for crying out loud. the ncaa doesnt have supeona power over those records

According to Gary Parrish, they can get private phone records if they find out that there is a private phone. His speculation is that Pearl was using a private phone, the NCAA asked about it, he lied, they found out and asked for the records, he flipped his story and is now in trouble. I know we don't like Gary, but he usually has pretty good sources on this stuff. I doubt any of this would have come to light if Lane Kiffin hadn't opened the door. Something tells me the NCAA will take their self imposed sanctions and maybe add probation and a lost scholarship or two and move on. The SEC/ESPN deal will insure that their program doesn't take too big a hit. Still the PR alone is horrible, and I have no idea how the UT AD still has his job after all that department has gone through. Of course I don't know how RC still has his job either.
09-11-2010 08:13 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

how can the ncaa get private phone records?
09-11-2010 08:24 AM
TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

I Root For: another beer
(09-11-2010 08:24 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  how can the ncaa get private phone records?

Apparently once the NCAA is able to pin a phone number to a coach they can look at the records regardless of who is paying the bill. Again I was just stating what GP said on his show. I find it hard to believe that Pearl would intentionally use the University phone especially since it's a govt. funded school and anyone can put in a freedom of information act request on the records. Maybe he screwed up and did, but I think it is more likely that the NCAA uncovered one of his hidden phones.

from http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...d-the-ncaa

Quote: 3. So why don't coaches get a second (i.e., secret) cell phone that isn't university issued?

Most of them do; that's among the other problems at Tennessee. Seems some of the coaches (if not all) had second cell phones that might've been used to make excessive contact with recruits, which, by the way, is a fairly common practice. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I tell you most high-major coaches and assistants have multiple cell phones -- one cell phone that's university issued, another that's in somebody else's name. Legal calls are made from the university cell phone, illegal calls from the other. Mistakes only happen when somebody gets reckless or confused. And it's a system that works perfectly ... right up until the NCAA finds the other cell phone, gets a number on it, pins it on you, and pours through the records. When that happens, well, here we are.
09-11-2010 08:38 AM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

so pearl really is a ham handed dope.
09-11-2010 08:41 AM
Memphisrat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
(09-11-2010 08:24 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  how can the ncaa get private phone records?

I would think that either you supply them or they will make sure that youi never coach again.
09-11-2010 08:41 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Oh thank goodness.
09-11-2010 08:56 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(09-11-2010 08:01 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(09-11-2010 07:46 AM)mairving Wrote:  

the 25% hit applies to his staff, not Pearl.

FoxSports

Quote:After admitting to misleading the NCAA in an investigation, Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl will lose 25 percent of his salary — or a total of $2 million — for the remainder of his five-year contract and not be allowed to recruit off-campus for one year.
09-11-2010 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.