Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

664 yards of total offense on 79 plays
Bookmark and Share
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
664 yards of total offense on 79 plays
In our second scrimage.

ECU passers combined to go 32-of-50 for 541 yards and seven touchdowns.

Good sign IMO, because I don't think our defense is that bad. Sounds like things are really starting to click with this offense. That was without Dwayne Harris too BTW who sat out.

I think we are going to suprise some people this year, got a lot of talent on offense. Lincoln Riley said this week our WR's were better than any group they ever had at Texas Tech, and he was there 8 of the 10 years under Leach. Best I've ever seen here.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2010 05:44 PM by StillJonesing.)
08-21-2010 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: 664 yards of total offense on 79 plays
Cautious optimistic
08-21-2010 05:45 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

This system is proven, and we to much talent not to put up some big points combined with it IMO. I think we'll see quite a few 500+ yard outings this year.

WR-Best we've ever had, maybe among the best in the nation.

OL-top 3 in CUSA by most accounts

RB-J. Williams is an NFL back, Ruffin and Whitley are proven also

QB-The only real question. We have the former Boston College starter, so you know there is some talent since he's still battling for the job whoever wins.

Offense shouldn't be this ahead at this point, got to be a good sign IMO. Our defense lost a lot of starters, yes but there were a lot of guys that took a lot of snaps and were very effective, still playing on that side of the ball the last 2 years returning as well.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2010 06:00 PM by StillJonesing.)
08-21-2010 05:57 PM
beacherpirate Offline
Special Teams

(08-21-2010 05:45 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  Cautious optimistic

x2
08-21-2010 05:59 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

Also, if you care about star ratings (which I don't), we have more talent on this year's team than ever before.

I'm just waiting to see if we can stop the run!
08-21-2010 06:01 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

My favorite part:

"[Torrance] Hunt finished with a team-best 96 yards for a 16-member receiving corps that averaged 16.9 yards per catch."

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footb...10aab.html
08-21-2010 06:08 PM
Advertisement

NukeLaCoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(08-21-2010 05:40 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  In our second scrimage.

Good sign IMO, because I don't think our defense is that bad. Sounds like things are really starting to click with this offense. That was without Dwayne Harris too BTW who sat out.

I think we are going to suprise some people this year, got a lot of talent on offense. Lincoln Riley said this week our WR's were better than any group they ever had at Texas Tech, and he was there 8 of the 10 years under Leach. Best I've ever seen here.

Every coach comes in and tells how much talent they have compared to where they came from. If you have better receivers than TT had in Michael Crabtree, Danny Amendola, Eric Morris and Detron Lewis then you should go undefeated and one of your guys will win the Belitnikoff and Warfield trophies and be a Heisman finalist. You don't have anyone close to that player. You some good receivers but don't believe that hype.
08-21-2010 06:10 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
Your offense could be clicking pretty good, but there's no way you can spin giving up +600 yards on defense. There's no excuse for letting that happen. It could be a culture shock in Greenville. Completely different style of play.
08-21-2010 06:14 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd concern myself more with how many are actally on the NFL radar and look foward more than look backwards at high school star ratings.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pla...&order=ASC
08-21-2010 06:23 PM
Pillaging Pirate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU PIRATES!
(08-21-2010 06:10 PM)NukeLaCoog Wrote:  
(08-21-2010 05:40 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  In our second scrimage.

Every coach comes in and tells how much talent they have compared to where they came from. If you have better receivers than TT had in Michael Crabtree, Danny Amendola, Eric Morris and Detron Lewis then you should go undefeated and one of your guys will win the Belitnikoff and Warfield trophies and be a Heisman finalist. You don't have anyone close to that player. You some good receivers but don't believe that hype.

That is just plain wrong. I believe the talent is better and deeper overall. That is not to say any 1 receiver is better than Crabtree. Consider we have new Coaches, completely new offensive system, the QB's aren't on Texas Tech's level, the O-line is not ideal for the system, our front 7 defense was gutted and the Coach is not Mike Leach.
That is not a formula for going undefeated regardless of talent at receiver.
Thanks for the insight on our team though.
08-21-2010 06:25 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(08-21-2010 06:14 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  Your offense could be clicking pretty good, but there's no way you can spin giving up +600 yards on defense. There's no excuse for letting that happen. It could be a culture shock in Greenville. Completely different style of play.

Yeah, we're turning into Houston.
08-21-2010 06:28 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2010 06:10 PM)NukeLaCoog Wrote:  Every coach comes in and tells how much talent they have compared to where they came from. If you have better receivers than TT had in Michael Crabtree, Danny Amendola, Eric Morris and Detron Lewis then you should go undefeated and one of your guys will win the Belitnikoff and Warfield trophies and be a Heisman finalist. You don't have anyone close to that player. You some good receivers but don't believe that hype.

Riley would know, he coached that group of WR's specifically every day. He sounded reluctant to say it, and even said it might get him in trouble if we don't produce. Guy didn't have to offer that up. He did say top to bottom we were a lot deeper so perhaps thats how he's looking at it as whole. Also Harris is pretty special too, already a 3rd round projection. Wonder what happens if he catches 120 balls, might get him in the late 1st round.

(08-21-2010 06:14 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  Your offense could be clicking pretty good, but there's no way you can spin giving up +600 yards on defense. There's no excuse for letting that happen. It could be a culture shock in Greenville. Completely different style of play.

I disagree. I think anytime the offense is clicking in the fall, especially with us installing a new offense, that's positive. Defense is usually ahead of the offense in the spring, fall camp, and even early in the year on most teams.

I think we know about what we have on defense. Lot of of our guys have starting experince and have been on the 2 deep the last couple years and been effective when they are in the game, (ie 2 CUSA championships). Guys like Robert Jones, Cliff Perryman, etc were starting as freshman 2 years ago on defense after all those injuries the last half of the season.

I think we have a solid mid level CUSA defense at worst talent wise, guys have already proven that IMO, and we have pretty good defensive staff on paper. I take it as a positive if the offense is cutting though them at this point, cause I know about what I expect out of our defense and this staff knows how to defend this offense to boot.

Bottom line is Texas Tech's offense is proven. We have most of that staff, no reason to really doubt things are coming together.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2010 06:40 PM by StillJonesing.)
08-21-2010 06:35 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I really think some of you guys need to calm down a little bit. The numbers were good but this was also against our own defense so I don't know if that means our offense is unstoppable or our defense is terrible. Jonesing I would at least wait till we play one game before making proclamations of our greatness. I like the confidence and want to believe it, but if we go out there and struggle you are going to look like quite an idiot with some of these statements.
08-21-2010 06:56 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

so?

I got enough cache, not that I care anyway.

My point was just that it sounds like things are starting to click. I think we know enough about our defense to know it's not among the worst in the nation. This is a good sign, and not out of the ordinary for this system. It usually puts up big numbers were evey it has been installed and we didn't exactly have garbage talent on that side and bringing an offensive staff that has worked together in this system for years can't hurt either.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2010 07:07 PM by StillJonesing.)
08-21-2010 07:06 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Darn, just give ECU the trophy and pencil them in a BCS bowl game. Any team with a scrimmage that awesome is probably going to be National Champions.....
08-21-2010 07:07 PM
beacherpirate Offline
Special Teams

(08-21-2010 07:07 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  Darn, just give ECU the trophy and pencil them in a BCS bowl game. Any team with a scrimmage that awesome is probably going to be National Champions.....

Dude, that frog cracks me up every time.
08-21-2010 07:15 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Regardless seeing those numbers has to be a little unsettling for those of you that are tired of seeing us dominate CUSA and that were hoping we'd fall on our face and hopping it would take several years to get the offense up and running. It's all very well still possible but so far so good. Doesn't make me feel bad seeing those numbers I can tell you that. Bet it does a little bit though for you guys hoping for us to have a big drop off though.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2010 07:18 PM by StillJonesing.)
08-21-2010 07:17 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(08-21-2010 07:17 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Regardless seeing those numbers has to be a little unsettling for those of you that are tired of seeing us dominate CUSA and that were hoping we'd fall on our face and hopping it would take several years to get the offense up and running. It's all very well still possible but so far so good. Doesn't make me feel bad seeing those numbers I can tell you that. Bet it does a little bit though for you guys hoping for us to have a big drop off though.

You are so right. We is skeered of ECU with a scrimmage like that. I mean, damn, even Alabama would be skeered of that scrimmage.
08-21-2010 07:21 PM
WNC Pirate Offline
2nd String

It was number 1 offense versus number 2 defense for those who are a little confused.
08-21-2010 07:24 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(08-21-2010 07:21 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  
(08-21-2010 07:17 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Regardless seeing those numbers has to be a little unsettling for those of you that are tired of seeing us dominate CUSA and that were hoping we'd fall on our face and hopping it would take several years to get the offense up and running. It's all very well still possible but so far so good. Doesn't make me feel bad seeing those numbers I can tell you that. Bet it does a little bit though for you guys hoping for us to have a big drop off though.

You are so right. We is skeered of ECU with a scrimmage like that. I mean, damn, even Alabama would be skeered of that scrimmage.

Why do you post on ECU related topics? Everyone knows your position on us. You really post a lot of dick things.
08-21-2010 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.