Did we all miss something?
Bookmark and Share
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
Did we all miss something?
Per NIUAthletics twitter:

"NIU great and San Diego Charger Larry English was at Yordon Center late this afternoon. Fans will find out why this FB season."

Posted a few days ago, surprised no one mentioned it here. Wonder what this has to do with? Any ideas?
06-07-2010 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Did we all miss something?
IPF?
06-07-2010 04:37 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
Gotta be a good size donation thats for sure.
06-07-2010 05:23 PM
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Guy is only what, 2 years out? I wouldn't expect him to be donating big cash. If he did, very cool. But I'd be happy with a nice cameo on a marketing campaign, ala Bruce Gradkowski.
06-07-2010 06:20 PM
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Per English's twitter he was in Chicago to film a commercial for his LEAD Foundation. Seems like it could be related to that.

Can we lay off talk about donations from our pros at least until they hit their second contracts?
06-07-2010 07:10 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

(06-07-2010 07:10 PM)DogTracks Wrote:  Per English's twitter he was in Chicago to film a commercial for his LEAD Foundation. Seems like it could be related to that.

Can we lay off talk about donations from our pros at least until they hit their second contracts?
...........awww....I dunno...doesn't it depend on how many zeroes are in that first contract? if one gets 5-10 mil, maybe throwing a little "vig" the huskies' way ain't too much to consider?
06-07-2010 07:18 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
He earned it, it's his money to do with first what's most important to him and his family....if it includes any donations to NIU - all the sweeter.

It should NOT be an expectation at this early stage of his career.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2010 10:26 PM by cyberdawg.)
06-07-2010 10:25 PM
Advertisement

cagy cager Offline
1st String

oh but an "expectation" later is ok?
06-07-2010 10:58 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Cagy, the assumption is a later contract would mean more funds to the point his family no longer has to worry about basic needs. So expectations would obviously be higher. I don't think anyone would dislike Larry English if he didn't donate money from a large second contract, but I think a lot of people would expect it at the same time. I don't think that's wrong, it's just the norm.

Just like they would if any of us do well in our careers. After we've had accumulated more than enough to support ourselves like a Barsema, I think we'd be expected to give back to the university.

Of course it's not like most of us have ever been in that position, I surely haven't, so it's not like I can say from first hand experience what it's like to be a multi-millionaire. But I don't think it's wrong to expect or hope that the most successful graduates would give back to the school that helped them start their careers.
06-08-2010 07:46 AM
Huskie359 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU & SOX
There were a couple of articles on Larry in Sunday's Beacon News. He attended a youth football clinic @ Marmion on Saturday... Here are the links

"English Preaches to Future Choir" http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaco...06.article
"First-Round Draft Pick Strives for Happiness" http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaco...06.article
06-08-2010 08:23 AM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(06-07-2010 05:23 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Gotta be a good size donation thats for sure.

That's what I was thinking, especially with that teaser at the end..

I saw something on the NFL network a couple years ago about how NFL players who are U of Miami, FL alumni will return to Miami in the summer time to work out together in the Miami weight room. I doubt that was the case with LE, though.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2010 08:47 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
06-08-2010 08:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
He was shooting a commercial for NIU. Damn.
06-08-2010 09:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
High On NIU Hoops Offline
1st String

(06-08-2010 09:09 AM)HuskiemobileMan Wrote:  He was shooting a commercial for NIU. Damn.

That's a bad thing? Disappointed about that? Maybe it will bring some fans to Huskie Stadium instead of having so many empty seats. That's an improvement in itself, not even worrying about an IPF. Any promotion and marketing for NIU athletics is a good thing. I bet he was promoting Thunder Stix!!
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2010 10:31 AM by High On NIU Hoops.)
06-09-2010 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.