Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marinattos quotes towards Delany...Genuine or Smug?
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Marinattos quotes towards Delany...Genuine or Smug?
How would you describe his comments about Delany or towards Delany. The ones about Delany helping him out in his first year, and how to big picture plan, etc, etc?

Is he publically complimenting him for his advice, or his he throwing those quotes out as the "middle finger" to Delany and to tell him "its on"?

I wonder if its possibly genuine, then Delany and Marinatto have talked alot more than we think and they are good standing and Big 10 truly isn't hurting the Big East.

If it is a smug move, then he is giving Delany and all the presidents/chancellors in the Big 10 motivation to make the move and carve up the Big East.

With the recent quotes of "20 teams", "Maryland, BC, PSU, Clemson, Gtech", "groundbreaking news", "who is going to watch Minnesota v Rutgers on Long Island", and other quotes from Tags, Marinatto, associate Commissioner, they are putting others on alert, pissing them off, and gettting the Big East fans excited all in one.

Just not sure what to make out of it.....
04-23-2010 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: Marinattos quotes towards Delany...Genuine or Smug?
I think he was sucking up to Delaney in hopes that he would be gentle when the rape goes down.
04-23-2010 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
prophetstruth Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: IOWA/ND
(04-23-2010 01:17 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  How would you describe his comments about Delany or towards Delany. The ones about Delany helping him out in his first year, and how to big picture plan, etc, etc?

Is he publically complimenting him for his advice, or his he throwing those quotes out as the "middle finger" to Delany and to tell him "its on"?

I wonder if its possibly genuine, then Delany and Marinatto have talked alot more than we think and they are good standing and Big 10 truly isn't hurting the Big East.

If it is a smug move, then he is giving Delany and all the presidents/chancellors in the Big 10 motivation to make the move and carve up the Big East.

With the recent quotes of "20 teams", "Maryland, BC, PSU, Clemson, Gtech", "groundbreaking news", "who is going to watch Minnesota v Rutgers on Long Island", and other quotes from Tags, Marinatto, associate Commissioner, they are putting others on alert, pissing them off, and gettting the Big East fans excited all in one.

It is not a smug move. He respects Delaney. He knows the schools selected have to move on. That's just the reality of it. The Big10 is an upgrade. If you had a job offering you three times what you were earning now and you had a chance to secure your future, what would you do? The Big10 will not destroy the Big East. Schools that are selected by the Big10 WILL leave. The Big East will be weakened, they will replace the teams they lose, they will eventually get better and the sports side of the Universities will move on.

I thinks Tags knows they will lose teams. Why else would he disparage a current Big East Member? He is campaigning.

I think the Big East will add 3 - 6 teams (ND stays as a full others sports only member) to go to 9 -12 in football and 11 basketball only and split into 4 pods of 5 for basketball. They will also support the PAC10 and Big10 to petition for a championship game without 12 members. I think it will get passed and the Big east will have a conference championship game.
04-23-2010 03:46 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I think Marinatto may be sucking up to Delaney to buy time. Time enough for The Big East to put together a plan to counter anything The Big 11 might propose. The truth is none of know of us numbnuts know what The Big East is planning. I don't believe ANYONE here has a clue what The Big East can or can't do. Some of the paradigms here are almost laughable. Every comment has it's appropriate slant from our resident Big 11 experts who proclaim that all The Big East can do is bend over and take it. They are routinely joined by fans of schools that want to degrade The Big East conference to the point that THEIR program can get it. Just give it a rest. Let's stop The Big 11 Cheerleading on The Big East board. It's tiresome and real Big East fans are tired of reading it.
CJ
04-23-2010 06:14 PM
prophetstruth Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: IOWA/ND
(04-23-2010 06:14 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I think Marinatto may be sucking up to Delaney to buy time. Time enough for The Big East to put together a plan to counter anything The Big 11 might propose. The truth is none of know of us numbnuts know what The Big East is planning. I don't believe ANYONE here has a clue what The Big East can or can't do. Some of the paradigms here are almost laughable. Every comment has it's appropriate slant from our resident Big 11 experts who proclaim that all The Big East can do is bend over and take it. They are routinely joined by fans of schools that want to degrade The Big East conference to the point that THEIR program can get it. Just give it a rest. Let's stop The Big 11 Cheerleading on The Big East board. It's tiresome and real Big East fans are tired of reading it.
CJ

I assume your comment was in response to my post. I simply responded to the question posed by the OP. I happen to think the writing is on the wall and to ignore that is to assume the position the Big East always has. The fact is, if the Big10 expands, they will grab a team from either the Big East or Big12. Sure, none of us know what the Big East or Big10 have planned but that's what this board and specifically this thread is about, expansion speculation and discussion in a civil manner. I believe I was being civil and if not, I apologize.

Thinking that no Big East teams would leave is not being realistic. The Big10 currently offers more than the Big East for most teams. I would bet that your school, Louisville, would leave in a heart beat if they had the chance to join the Big10. The money and academics are too great to pass up.

University Presidents are risk adverse and will choose the option that will be in the best interests of the University. To think otherwise would be irrational. That is not cheering for the Big10. It is what it is, just as the USA is richer than Mexico and a move here in most cases would be an upgrade. It is what it is.

You act as if the Big East will ceases to exist. I don't. The Big East will expand also if they lose a team or two. The conference they take teams from will have to replace teams as they are lower in the pecking order than the Big East and more than likely they will leave in a heartbeat to join the Big East. I never said the Big East would stand still, simply that they would lose teams, replace them and eventually the conference will get better. I think you are being overly sensitive. Changes happen all of the time. This is no different. Their is a pecking order in everything in our society and unfortunately for the Big East, they are last in the 6 power conferences pecking order. I seriously doubt any other Big 6 conference team would leave their conference to join the instability of the Big East or Big12 for that matter. I think the Big East losing a team is a good thing. It forces them to react, build a stronger product and allows an opportunity for another school to make an upgrade the same as your school did. Louisville would likely not be in the Big East now without the Big East having lost teams to the ACC.

By the way I am a fan of Big East school DePaul as well as Iowa and that is why I post on Big east as well as Big10 boards. And since the paradigms are laughable and the Big East doesn't have to sit back and take it, please enlighten me to those options.
04-24-2010 06:31 AM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(04-23-2010 01:17 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  How would you describe his comments about Delany or towards Delany. The ones about Delany helping him out in his first year, and how to big picture plan, etc, etc?

I think he knows Delany holds most of the cards here and is trying to be respectful of Delany's standing in College Athletics. At the same time though he is putting him on notice that the Big East does not plan on going down without a fight.
04-24-2010 06:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.