Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What a difference a day makes, huh? Agree?
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
What a difference a day makes, huh? Agree?
The shift in tone on this board has turned DRAMATICALLY with the news from the commissioner's office.

Hiring Tagliabue -- Fighting for Future of Conference -- Stating Nothing's off the table -- Possible growth to 20 Schools -- Big East Network -- Championship Football Game -- Poaching the ACC instead of being poached.

Damn Marinatto --- who the hell spiked YOUR Cheerio's??

I think we gotta give it up to the new commish.

Agree?
04-22-2010 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
RE: What a difference a day makes, huh? Agree?
Nope. Just lip service.
04-22-2010 01:06 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
The Big East definately stole the Big 10's thunder yesterday. It just makes me wonder if its too little too late. I hope the Big East is able to succeed in grabbing 4 schools. And we all can move forward in a better Big East.
04-22-2010 01:07 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I'm maintaining a healthy dose of skepticism that it will make a difference. I hope it does, but we'll see.
04-22-2010 01:14 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Too early to tell what is going to happen. The refusals of Texas and Notre Dame to join the Big Ten has sent Delaney back to the drawing board. Getting a supramajority of university presidents to agree on three teams to get to 14 is going to be a complicated task not that Delaney won't be successful in the long run.

But I do like the hire of Tagliabue and the rhetoric now coming out of the Big East Office.

It's never to late to try.
04-22-2010 01:16 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

If there is no cooperation amongst the ones who are believed to being courted by the Big Ten then FB schools of the Big East can kiss any effort goodbye. I think as a whole the FB schools need to pursue who they think they can attract with an invitation, and show just how much money they can make and not what they would lose be leaving their current conferences. Is it a pipe dream to think the Big East FB schools have a shot in hell with Penn State YES, is it with Mryland & Boston College NO. I think if the Big East FB schools do some digging and research they will see that Boston College as well as Miami and who knows maybe Maryland would like to see a change in scenery for Miami, and BC left, but I for one would not feel bad what so ever if they came back. The state of Florida could belong solely to the Big East if Miami comes back on board with South Florida and maybe Central Florida with an invitation coming. I would love to see the FB schools being proactive, but is it to little to late, and would it make more sense for them to split now rather than later?
04-22-2010 01:17 PM
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
I think it unlikely that no matter what the Big East did they would be able to close the $$$ gap sufficiently with the Big 10 to keep members from leaving if invited.

But I applaud the Big East for at least making some efforts and not laying curled up on the floor waiting to be kicked.
04-22-2010 01:23 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(04-22-2010 01:23 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  But I applaud the Big East for at least making some efforts and not laying curled up on the floor waiting to be kicked.

So true.

04-cheers
04-22-2010 01:25 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-22-2010 01:17 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  If there is no cooperation amongst the ones who are believed to being courted by the Big Ten then FB schools of the Big East can kiss any effort goodbye. I think as a whole the FB schools need to pursue who they think they can attract with an invitation, and show just how much money they can make and not what they would lose be leaving their current conferences. Is it a pipe dream to think the Big East FB schools have a shot in hell with Penn State YES, is it with Mryland & Boston College NO. I think if the Big East FB schools do some digging and research they will see that Boston College as well as Miami and who knows maybe Maryland would like to see a change in scenery for Miami, and BC left, but I for one would not feel bad what so ever if they came back. The state of Florida could belong solely to the Big East if Miami comes back on board with South Florida and maybe Central Florida with an invitation coming. I would love to see the FB schools being proactive, but is it to little to late, and would it make more sense for them to split now rather than later?

I can't speak for BC, but I've been told by someone with access to someone that would know that Maryland asked to not be considered for Big Ten membership. Otherwise, you would've been seeing Maryland as a top target for the conference. Institutionally, Maryland would make a ton more money and be much more of an academic fit in the Big Ten. If Maryland took itself out of consideration for the Big Ten, I'm going to be skeptical to think that they're going to entertain a BE invite. The ACC is MUCH safer than people are giving it credit for.
04-22-2010 01:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

(04-22-2010 01:25 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I can't speak for BC, but I've been told by someone with access to someone that would know that Maryland asked to not be considered for Big Ten membership. Otherwise, you would've been seeing Maryland as a top target for the conference. Institutionally, Maryland would make a ton more money and be much more of an academic fit in the Big Ten. If Maryland took itself out of consideration for the Big Ten, I'm going to be skeptical to think that they're going to entertain a BE invite. The ACC is MUCH safer than people are giving it credit for.

I'd love to know the reason for that. Why is it that Maryland has no interest while apparently every other school in the known universe would sell its soul to get in the Big Ten?

That sounds a little like when Bobby Petrino announced he had "no interest" in the Notre Dame job.
04-22-2010 01:41 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-22-2010 01:41 PM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  
(04-22-2010 01:25 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I can't speak for BC, but I've been told by someone with access to someone that would know that Maryland asked to not be considered for Big Ten membership. Otherwise, you would've been seeing Maryland as a top target for the conference. Institutionally, Maryland would make a ton more money and be much more of an academic fit in the Big Ten. If Maryland took itself out of consideration for the Big Ten, I'm going to be skeptical to think that they're going to entertain a BE invite. The ACC is MUCH safer than people are giving it credit for.

I'd love to know the reason for that. Why is it that Maryland has no interest while apparently every other school in the known universe would sell its soul to get in the Big Ten?

That sounds a little like when Bobby Petrino announced he had "no interest" in the Notre Dame job.

I really have no idea - out of all of the ACC schools, they would've been the ones that would be most likely to be targeted by the Big Ten and reciprocate the interest. Maryland is a charter member of the ACC, so the ties that it has for the rest of the conference are very strong. Now, the same could be said about Missouri and Nebraska in theory with the old Big 8, but the feeling there is that the Texas schools have so dramatically changed the character of that conference that they don't have the same loyalty to it any more. The ACC is also the one conference where there isn't a clear academic upgrade by going to the Big Ten, so Maryland doesn't have that added incentive to join the conference (whereas the Big XII and BE schools definitely have that incentive).

I've said from the beginning that the Big XII and Big East are "breakable" in a way that the ACC isn't.
04-22-2010 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SmokinPirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
Lets face it, the ACC is really the best overall BB conference with the BE second. The BE gets a ton of Pub during the year but they seem to have their problems during tourny time. The ACC (Duke and all but this year, UNC) seems at times to lag behind during the year but kick it into gear during the tourny.

The BE needs to overtake the ACC in FB but no FB school is going to leave the ACC for the BE. I once thought MD might leave for the B-10 but I'm not sure now. They'd be my choice to move with the DC market, and then maybe a BC with the Boston Market.
04-22-2010 03:26 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
As someone who would love to see the Big East succeed, whether Memphis gets an invitation or not, I understand why you guys are getting excited. Hiring Tagliabue is a good move. I wish looking at all those options had been done earlier.

I honestly don't see any way you are going to lure any BCS teams to the Big East, w/o losing another team back as a replacement, at best. Time, money and other factors are not on your side. IF the SEC does carry through on its hint to expand if the B10 does, then it comes down to two of the BE, ACC and B12 surviving, not all 3.

Unless Texas splits, the B12 is far enough away, with enough decent options, to survive. That brings it down to the BE or the ACC. As an outsider who wants you to win that battle, I just don't see it.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2010 03:43 PM by TripleA.)
04-22-2010 03:40 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(04-22-2010 02:04 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Maryland is a charter member of the ACC, so the ties that it has for the rest of the conference are very strong.

Frank, I attended Maryland (partially anyway, I graduated to Towson, but took classes at College Park as well). I can't speak for the all of the administration types, but I know that students and fans, would have loved to leave ACC if it were possible. Many would have much preferred to be in the Big East (this was in 99-02). As I can recall, the only real positive was taunting Duke players as they beat them every year. They absolutely detested the power wielded by the NC schools, and especially the ACC basketball tournament always being in North Carolina, which they considered an unfair advantage. As a concenssion, I believe every few years they move it out of Greensboro, once to the Verizon Center, and once to the Georgia Dome. There was also the lack of a natural rival. Plus, you know, Terp fans like to destroy things after they win big games, and that is typically frowned upon in the ACC.

I am not sure how much has changed, as I last attended class there in 2002, but my memories there have always lead me to beleive that they would leave if they had a suitable alternative.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2010 03:46 PM by adcorbett.)
04-22-2010 03:42 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Maryland was one of the schools that pushed for the formation of the ACC.
04-22-2010 03:48 PM
Joshua Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNF & UCF
The guy sounds like a tool..

He needs to be fired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5122951
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2010 03:51 PM by Joshua.)
04-22-2010 03:51 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
There is nothing the BE can do in regards to the B10. Being proactive can make sense because you can give possible replacements a head start on upgrading their programs and perception nationwide.
04-22-2010 03:57 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Its interesting how things have transpired. It now seems like the Big 10 could be looking west and not east. Who knows whats going to happen. I doubt the Big 10 doesn't know either.
04-22-2010 04:03 PM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Pretty funny, All he did is repeat the only things that he had already said, and now it is a new day.
04-22-2010 04:09 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(04-22-2010 04:09 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Pretty funny, All he did is repeat the only things that he had already said, and now it is a new day.

Well, every day is a new day. And there's no going back to the previous day. Otherwise, "yesterday" and "today" would be the same thing.
04-22-2010 04:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.