Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why the two sides are good for each other
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Why the two sides are good for each other
There has been a lot of name calling and finger pointing going on here lately. I want to point out to people some of the reason why the FB have not seceded from the BE Union.

The FB schools bring a lot of revenue to the BB schools via NCAA credits. Pitt, WVU, UConn, Syracuse, and Louisville have all been frequent participants and the NCAA credits are distributed among all the schools in the conference. If the FB schools bolt, the league becomes another A-10. The FB schools also keep the Big East name relevant year round. Spring football, the NFL draft, and Fall football keep the Big East name in the national consciousness between April and Nov when BB season starts. The loss of the Pittsburgh, Tampa, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Hartford TV markets bring tangible value to the TV package. Finally, the FB schools provide marquee matchups that people want to watch. Pitt-Villanova or Syracuse-Georgetown bring a lot more interest than would Villanova- Seton Hall. If they FB schools leave they reduce the BB schools income by diminished NCAA BB Credits, TV revenues, TV appearances, and reduced attendance at the BE tournament.

The BB schools provide much the same benefits to the FB schools, They provide markets like Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, DC, and Providence. They provide marquee matchups that get the league on TV.They also give the FB conference access to these markets during FB season. The BEGOTW is on MASN and on local channels in many of those markets.

Either way if we split, there is less money, less competition, less exposure and less prestige for both sides, both now and if we lose some teams.
04-21-2010 08:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Why the two sides are good for each other
Good post. From the outside looking in, I have never understood the advantage of a split, unless it was b/c the football teams wanted to do something the BB teams would not allow, but I've never seen evidence of that happening yet.

Jmo, but the split talk seems to be more generated by frustration at the perception that the BB teams don't care about FB. Right now, the real disagreement in strategy seems to be between two factions of the football teams.
04-21-2010 08:13 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
I have to disagree, only on the part about bball providing equal footing to the football schools. Good points on the football side, and I know the NE with NYC metro area is a key cog, but this is one of those weigh the pluses and minuses here.

MSA interest in the Big East
Memphis (Memphis) > Marquette) (Milwaukee (1/2 or more of Milwaukee are Wisky fans)
UCF(Orlando) > Providence
Temple(Philly)> or = to Philly (Nova)
TCU (Dallas) > Depaul (Chicago)
Houston (Houston > (DC)

ECU delivers a region in NC and VA, plus is a new market all together and shows football and baseball competition and fan support.

North= UConn/Cuse/Rutgers/Pitt/WVU/Temple/UC
South=UL/Memphis/ECU/UCF/USF/TCU/Houston

Its kind of a no brainer if you add those six and split.

Depaul doesn't deliver Chicago
Seton Hall and St Johns delivers some of metro NYC, but I really don't know that number
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 08:31 AM by dgrace4cards.)
04-21-2010 08:27 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
A split may not be best, but a judicial pruning of those members which are not carrying their weight is needed. The "balance of power" between all-sports & non-football is not in the best overall interest of the conference. The Big East needs to be free to always do what is best for football, the sport which is clearly most important.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 08:30 AM by Gray Avenger.)
04-21-2010 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
(04-21-2010 08:30 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  A split may not be best, but a judicial pruning of those members which are not carrying their weight is needed. The "balance of power" between all-sports & non-football is not in the best overall interest of the conference. The Big East needs to be free to always do what is best for football, the sport which is clearly most important.

Let's see, a non BE member thinks the Big East should chuck it's members some of whom are original members, all of which have contributed something to the league in order to add several teams with 0 to little upside (not including TCU) that have never contributed anything to the Big East. Yeah, that will happen.
04-21-2010 08:43 AM
Advertisement

dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Its tough to say limited upside, because as soon as the BCS tag is given to these programs things change in recruiting and coaching. Now as for the programs presidents and ad's doing their thing that is another story.
04-21-2010 08:47 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(04-21-2010 08:43 AM)buckaineer Wrote:  
(04-21-2010 08:30 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  A split may not be best, but a judicial pruning of those members which are not carrying their weight is needed. The "balance of power" between all-sports & non-football is not in the best overall interest of the conference. The Big East needs to be free to always do what is best for football, the sport which is clearly most important.

Let's see, a non BE member thinks the Big East should chuck it's members some of whom are original members, all of which have contributed something to the league in order to add several teams with 0 to little upside (not including TCU) that have never contributed anything to the Big East. Yeah, that will happen.

Considering the political power that the self-serving, Catholic, non-football voting bloc has within the Big East, I agree that it isn't likely. I am only saying that it would be better for the conference overall if it did. Maybe you prefer a split, which is considerably more likely. The "several teams with 0 - little upside" bring a lot more than certain existing weaklings. If you wish to discount my opinion simply because my school does not belong to the BE, go ahead.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 09:13 AM by Gray Avenger.)
04-21-2010 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(04-21-2010 08:27 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  I have to disagree, only on the part about bball providing equal footing to the football schools. Good points on the football side, and I know the NE with NYC metro area is a key cog, but this is one of those weigh the pluses and minuses here.

Memphis (Memphis) > Marquette) (Milwaukee (1/2 or more of Milwaukee are Wisky fans)
Houston (Houston > (DC)

ECU delivers a region in NC and VA, plus is a new market all together and shows football and baseball competition and fan support.

Seton Hall and St Johns delivers some of metro NYC, but I really don't know that number

I don't know that you could get TCU and Houston to join a group of teams all east of the Mississippi. If you could, this configuration has promise, but it's a big if.

You are correct, DePaul doesn't deliver Chicago, Notre Dame does. Either way you lose Chicago.
04-21-2010 10:24 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(04-21-2010 08:27 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  I have to disagree, only on the part about bball providing equal footing to the football schools. Good points on the football side, and I know the NE with NYC metro area is a key cog, but this is one of those weigh the pluses and minuses here.

Houston (Houston > (DC)

Good post. The FB schools carry weigh more weight than the BB schools (66%/33%). The BB schools don't deliver the their markets for FB, and an argument can be made that they interfere in rivalries by appearing mid-way through the season(FB & BB being the major televised sports). Look how many BB schools are on any given message board. Jurich needs to take the known left behinds (UL,UC,USF, WVU and UConn, I think UConn was floated as a potential B10 target to keep these schools from solidifying) and come up with a plan to improve football. Then demand that Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse either get on the boat or leave to the B10. The BCS label isn't going anywhere and Jurich knows it.
04-21-2010 01:47 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(04-21-2010 01:47 PM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  Jurich needs to take the known left behinds (UL,UC,USF, WVU and UConn, I think UConn was floated as a potential B10 target to keep these schools from solidifying) and come up with a plan to improve football. Then demand that Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse either get on the boat or leave to the B10. The BCS label isn't going anywhere and Jurich knows it.

While I know it won't happen, for ***** and giggles, how funny would it be if the Big East kicked out Rutgers, Pitt, and Syracuse, and then the B10 only took Notre Dame?
04-21-2010 02:04 PM
istrahan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss

Houston (Houston > (DC)

Houston doesn't deliver Houston
TCU doesn't deliver Dallas

I doubt either team is really interested in the Big East anyway. Nobody West of the Mississippi gives a flying fig about the Big East, they'd just assume be in the MWC if they can't get into the PAC 10 or Big XII. Now if Utah and BYU bolt from the MWC, TCU may become interested, but even then, they'd be looking for an out as soon as they were in the door.
04-21-2010 03:18 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(04-21-2010 03:18 PM)istrahan Wrote:  Houston doesn't deliver Houston

I doubt either team is really interested in the Big East anyway. Nobody West of the Mississippi gives a flying fig about the Big East, they'd just assume be in the MWC if they can't get into the PAC 10 or Big XII. Now if Utah and BYU bolt from the MWC, TCU may become interested, but even then, they'd be looking for an out as soon as they were in the door.

Yeah .... why on earth would they want to join the perceived WEAKEST conference with an auto-bid to the BCS?

It's much easier to play in an arguably equally brutal conference and have to run the table in the out of conference including a game or two against other BCS conference members usually on the road, to get to a BCS bowl game.

I mean, you're right. TCU and Houston aren't even in football hotbeds.

01-wingedeagle
04-21-2010 03:25 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
No school available delivers anything. It's just about putting games on tv in the market. I'm sure those schools would pass on a bcs bid to wait for the MWC to call.
04-21-2010 03:27 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(04-21-2010 03:25 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Yeah .... why on earth would they want to join the perceived WEAKEST conference with an auto-bid to the BCS?

It's much easier to play in an arguably equally brutal conference and have to run the table in the out of conference including a game or two against other BCS conference members usually on the road, to get to a BCS bowl game.

I mean damn Pervis, you didn't have to hit him like that. 03-nutkick

That was a hell of a retort 04-bow
04-21-2010 03:45 PM
istrahan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-21-2010 03:25 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

Yeah .... why on earth would they want to join the perceived WEAKEST conference with an auto-bid to the BCS?

01-wingedeagle

TCU and Houston certainly are in football hotbeds, but what benefit does TCU have from joining the Big East. Weren't they just in a BCS game last season? Hasn't the MWC put a team in a BCS game 3 out of the past 6 years? Historically, teams travelling long distances from West to East perform poorly (look it up). Why would TCU want to subject themselves to a schedule where half their conference games put them at a disadvantage? Unless the BCS changes their format, the MWC is going to add Boise State before the next evaluation and that gets them an AQ spot. So the choice at least in TCU's mind is to either stay in a conference in their own geographic area with an AQ spot in a couple of years or join a conference way out of their geographic area in two years that has a AQ spot now, but potentially is losing some of their big players.

Houston's situation isn't much different from TCU's with the exception that they have not actually had the on-field performance like TCU and they don't have nearly the fan support, facilities, or financial resources. Nonetheless, they will likely be offered a MWC spot in a couple of years (assuming Utah and BYU don't leave and that they continue with the performance of the past few years) to help ensure the MWC gets that AQ bid during the next evaluation. It's the same choice. Spend half your time flying cross country or stay close to home with similar benefits.

There would be some financial benefit from the move, and basketball certainly would benefit from the addition, but travel considerations for all sports virtually nullifies those benefits.

Realistically, it has gotten to the point where TCU, Utah, and BYU because of the past few years' successes don't have to play tough OOC schedules to get BCS bid consideration. Hell, Boise State gets in with only one AQ OOC opponent every season.

I am aware that the perception of the Big East is inaccurate, but it's still the perception especially as you move further and further from the conference center, and high school kids in DFW and Houston based on recent successes of TCU, Utah, and BYU have the perception that the good MWC teams are every bit as good if not better than the Big East teams. Look at recruiting rankings and you'll see those teams are ranked higher than all the Big East with the exception of WVU and Pitt (as is Houston BTW).

Now if Utah and BYU leave the MWC, that changes everything and TCU will need to do something to keep its momentum of the past few years, but I can assure you even if you take them, they will continue to look around for other available options, because they aren't going to be happy in a East Coast based conference.

As far as Houston is concerned, I don't understand the affinity. Their football team had been dreadful for a decade before the past few years. They are 20 years removed from anything resembling national prominence. The school is in the middle of a slum and the facilities are dilapidated. They don't draw flies to any sporting events despite being in a city with 4 million people. Somehow, everyone overlooks all that and just sees the market size and a couple of good football teams and all of a sudden they are a prime candidate. IMO, joining the Big East isn't going to change anything about this program. They still won't draw flies, they'll still be in a middle of a slum, and their facilities will still be crap.
04-21-2010 04:33 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-21-2010 08:07 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  There has been a lot of name calling and finger pointing going on here lately. I want to point out to people some of the reason why the FB have not seceded from the BE Union.

The FB schools bring a lot of revenue to the BB schools via NCAA credits. Pitt, WVU, UConn, Syracuse, and Louisville have all been frequent participants and the NCAA credits are distributed among all the schools in the conference. If the FB schools bolt, the league becomes another A-10. The FB schools also keep the Big East name relevant year round. Spring football, the NFL draft, and Fall football keep the Big East name in the national consciousness between April and Nov when BB season starts. The loss of the Pittsburgh, Tampa, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Hartford TV markets bring tangible value to the TV package. Finally, the FB schools provide marquee matchups that people want to watch. Pitt-Villanova or Syracuse-Georgetown bring a lot more interest than would Villanova- Seton Hall. If they FB schools leave they reduce the BB schools income by diminished NCAA BB Credits, TV revenues, TV appearances, and reduced attendance at the BE tournament.

The BB schools provide much the same benefits to the FB schools, They provide markets like Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, DC, and Providence. They provide marquee matchups that get the league on TV.They also give the FB conference access to these markets during FB season. The BEGOTW is on MASN and on local channels in many of those markets.

Either way if we split, there is less money, less competition, less exposure and less prestige for both sides, both now and if we lose some teams.

None of it is worth the long term instability. Sorry, but that is a fact regardless of what we produce now we will always have limited potential by the nature of being hybrid.

The Big East needs to split up and football memebers need to form an all-sport conference. Instead of being addicted to the relative small time money and prestige of basketball it should squarely focus on football. Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, UC, WVU and UConn basketball are some of the most successful programs out there. They will be fine regardless of who they play.

If Cuse or UConn feel the need to continue to play georgetown or nova maybe we offer them to come along for basketball or play them OOC. The tail has been wagging the dog at our own peril far too long. After this most recent scare the southern membership has to insist that it is time to move on.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 04:42 PM by L-yes.)
04-21-2010 04:38 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-21-2010 03:25 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

Why in the fek would we want TCU or Houston in the league anyway? Christ, this stuff is rich.
04-21-2010 04:41 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I always tought that FB schools would be better OFF splitting
& adding 4 for 12 team conf. particullary if ND joined & EC would be FB & baseball only
04-22-2010 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.