Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten: Expansion timetable isn't accelerated
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Big Ten: Expansion timetable isn't accelerated
Looks like no news... for another year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...6764.story

That means more speculation... for another year.
04-20-2010 10:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: Big Ten: Expansion timetable isn't accelerated
(04-20-2010 10:05 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Looks like no news... for another year.

Ugh...
04-20-2010 10:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
///MPower Offline
Banned

I Root For: Winners
Everyone trying to assure the other ones that nothing going to happen when it damn well is going to happen.
04-20-2010 10:09 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Notre Dame called the Big Ten's bluff. That was the Big Ten target.
04-20-2010 10:11 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(04-20-2010 10:11 PM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Notre Dame called the Big Ten's bluff. That was the Big Ten target.
That's what I think, too. I still think they do something, just maybe not as fast as everyone would like.
04-20-2010 10:18 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
If thats the case, doesn't that run into problems with upcoming TV contracts for multiple conferences?

Also, BE should take the extended time as a second chance to be proactive, even if its our AD and the other 3 left behinds putting together a package to present to Marinatto and the 4 being courted.....I'd also include ND in this in a manner that would still give ND independence yet playing conference football.
04-20-2010 10:19 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Proactive. That would be a switch.
04-20-2010 10:27 PM
Advertisement

buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
(04-20-2010 10:05 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Looks like no news... for another year.

It may just be that they informed a certain someone of intentions and that someone had some legal issues that the Big Ten decided they would have to wait awhile to deal with.
04-20-2010 11:04 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
So what exactly will be the point of today's Press Conference? Just to say the same thing that was in that article. This doesn't add up IMO.
04-21-2010 06:34 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I said 2 or 3 days ago that none of these rumors came from the big 10. They have no need to rush. They have every need to get it right. The only one who really needs it to go fast is the leftover BE schools, and the B10 could care less about them. As for the BE being proactive, that aint gonna happen. Only 2 things they could do, split now and add 1 to 3 new members, or add a FB only to help their recruiting now. Being the added schools couldn't start for 2 years, none of those choices helps today. So the best choice is simply to stand pat and hope the B10 does nothing or adds only a B12 school.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 06:49 AM by goodknightfl.)
04-21-2010 06:47 AM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(04-21-2010 06:34 AM)animus Wrote:  So what exactly will be the point of today's Press Conference? Just to say the same thing that was in that article. This doesn't add up IMO.

Most likely it is to cool the fevered pitch of speculation and restore some semblance of a carefully deliberated move rather than a free for all.
04-21-2010 07:06 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I just think the media got ahead of the B10 presidents, but I do think it's odd that Delany announced the presser after the Sunday meeting, so he could say that they are still considering expansion, but no real details? Odd, guess we'll have to wait and see what he actually says.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 08:05 AM by TripleA.)
04-21-2010 08:04 AM
mccarverslawyer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
---- This PM was sent on Sunday. ND and Comcast cannot make commitments until Congress/FCC approves merger -- for them to make assumptive commitments now could only serve to tick off Al Franken, etc. who are hardlining this merger.

All this may be Premature...
To:

WASHINGTON, April 17 (UPI) -- Deadlines on the proposed merger between Comcast and NBC Universal have been pushed back by a request from U.S. regulators for more information.

The Federal Communications Commission asked Comcast to provide more background on the predicted economic benefits of the deal, The Hollywood Reporter said. The FCC also wants more information on the effect on distribution of videos on line (such as streaming sports content not only over the Internet but on an iPhone - and which college has its own iPhone pay app which can stream video - not just your schedule and school fight song).

The FCC had set May 3 as the deadline for comment on Comcast's bid to acquire 51 percent of NBC. The agency has stopped the clock.

"We look forward to working with the commission to submit the additional information they've requested," Comcast said in a statement Friday. "We know they want to conduct a thorough and expeditious review of this transaction and we'll be submitting these reports as soon as possible. We understand and agree in this case with the commission's desire to have a full comment period on key documents submitted by the applicants.

.... the thing everyone is forgetting is that Notre Dame(and more importantly ComcastNBC who possess their media rights)cannot do anything until FCC/Congress rule on ComcastNBC merger.

Comcast is the primary distributor of the Big 10 network - even the Big 10 acknowledges that the moment at which the BTN took off and started making money was when BTN and Comcast could finally reach agreement on distribution.
NBC, who owns the ND media rights, is being bought by Comcast...

Why would the Big 10, who publicly and privately acknowledge ND is option #1, force ND/Comcast's hand when their "hands are tied" up in Congressional hearings and they cannot do anything? They, and the Pac 10, do not want ComcastNBC/Versus to participate in a bidding war with ESPN and CBS/Turner (since media money is what is driving this expansion discussion) for college sports contracts? This accelerated timetable does not make sense as it is not in anyone's best interests. Comcast has publicly stated that it is their intent to compete with ESPN for sports programming and the NBC(and Ebersol) acquisition is a big part of it...

Nothing reasonably is going to happen until ComcastNBC (Notre Dame) can actually negotiate and they cannot presume FCC approval yet.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 11:12 AM by mccarverslawyer.)
04-21-2010 10:19 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Excellent post. Thanks for the info. That could explain a lot about what's happened in the past few days.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 11:34 AM by TripleA.)
04-21-2010 11:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.