Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Idea I have heard yet
Insideout Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USC
Shy Best Idea I have heard yet
Someone needs to send this to the BE office.

From some guy CFLeer on WVUsports .....

The major problem with the BE office is they have never been forward thinking. All they think about is the basketball conference and never football and never ever about survival.

If they want to keep the basketball conference together think outside the box and be proactive and stop the sticking the head in the sand. This whole thing with the Big Ten is about this cable deal. Not about some championship game, that is just peanuts. The Big East doesn't want to expand and guess what the Pac 10 doesn't either. If they did they would have done it a long time ago.

If the BE office had some leadership and someone with half a brain that has actually been in some private sector business they would get their sorry asses on a plane to the Pac 10 office and say you don't want to expand we don't either and we may lose a school or not. Let's form a football alliance with a championship game, combine the rest of the sports in an East West alliance, get ourselves our own cable network, and have the biggest and baddest cable network that would (unlike the pipe dream Big Ten) control NY and LA (the biggest markets) due to the BE Basketball and the Pac 10. Sandwich the rest of these conferences in an control both coast.

That way instead of broadcasting Michigan State volleyball you have 12 hours of BE programming and 12 hours of Pac 10 programming that is relevant to the areas they serve. You would control NY to FL and Washington to Arizona. Want to see how many households you can put in those markets? That would dwarf the Big 10, SEC combined. BE basketball survives in tact, Pac 10 doesn't have to expand, we get a championship game in Football and all of the other sports have a year end championship tournament that has relevancy on both coast.

Sigh ........... but we have no one at the helm in Providence. We are waiting for the bomb to blow. What we need is a leader someone that will make something happen and stop hiding like a little girl.
04-20-2010 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Best Idea I have heard yet
(04-20-2010 06:21 PM)Insideout Wrote:  Let's form a football alliance with a championship game, combine the rest of the sports in an East West alliance... BE basketball survives in tact, Pac 10 doesn't have to expand, we get a championship game in Football and all of the other sports have a year end championship tournament that has relevancy on both coast.
Assuming that all 8 current BE football teams were "in" on the deal, that's a total of 18 football teams. Would they be split 10/8 or 9/9? What would scheduling look like? How would it be decided which 2 team played in the championship game? What if the "top 2" teams were both in the same "division"? And in BB, you're potentially talking about 26 teams, total. How do you decide which teams -- and how many teams -- go to the conference tournament?

Then there's the money. Would the TV contracts be split 50/50 between the East and the West? Split equally per team (which means a 61.5-38.5 split in favor of the BE, at least for hoops)?

Quote:Sigh ........... but we have no one at the helm in Providence.
Maybe the Pac-10 can be the one to suggest this.
04-20-2010 06:37 PM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
(04-20-2010 06:21 PM)Insideout Wrote:  Someone needs to send this to the BE office.

From some guy CFLeer on WVUsports .....

The major problem with the BE office is they have never been forward thinking. All they think about is the basketball conference and never football and never ever about survival.

If they want to keep the basketball conference together think outside the box and be proactive and stop the sticking the head in the sand. This whole thing with the Big Ten is about this cable deal. Not about some championship game, that is just peanuts. The Big East doesn't want to expand and guess what the Pac 10 doesn't either. If they did they would have done it a long time ago.

If the BE office had some leadership and someone with half a brain that has actually been in some private sector business they would get their sorry asses on a plane to the Pac 10 office and say you don't want to expand we don't either and we may lose a school or not. Let's form a football alliance with a championship game, combine the rest of the sports in an East West alliance, get ourselves our own cable network, and have the biggest and baddest cable network that would (unlike the pipe dream Big Ten) control NY and LA (the biggest markets) due to the BE Basketball and the Pac 10. Sandwich the rest of these conferences in an control both coast.

That way instead of broadcasting Michigan State volleyball you have 12 hours of BE programming and 12 hours of Pac 10 programming that is relevant to the areas they serve. You would control NY to FL and Washington to Arizona. Want to see how many households you can put in those markets? That would dwarf the Big 10, SEC combined. BE basketball survives in tact, Pac 10 doesn't have to expand, we get a championship game in Football and all of the other sports have a year end championship tournament that has relevancy on both coast.

Sigh ........... but we have no one at the helm in Providence. We are waiting for the bomb to blow. What we need is a leader someone that will make something happen and stop hiding like a little girl.

Only problem is the two BCS leagues would only get one bid from the championship game. One league would be knocked out of championship contention prior to the bowls also.
04-20-2010 06:37 PM
Insideout Offline
Water Engineer

(04-20-2010 06:37 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(04-20-2010 06:21 PM)Insideout Wrote:  Let's form a football alliance with a championship game, combine the rest of the sports in an East West alliance... BE basketball survives in tact, Pac 10 doesn't have to expand, we get a championship game in Football and all of the other sports have a year end championship tournament that has relevancy on both coast.
Assuming that all 8 current BE football teams were "in" on the deal, that's a total of 18 football teams. Would they be split 10/8 or 9/9? What would scheduling look like? How would it be decided which 2 team played in the championship game? What if the "top 2" teams were both in the same "division"? And in BB, you're potentially talking about 26 teams, total. How do you decide which teams -- and how many teams -- go to the conference tournament?

Then there's the money. Would the TV contracts be split 50/50 between the East and the West? Split equally per team (which means a 61.5-38.5 split in favor of the BE, at least for hoops)?

Quote:Sigh ........... but we have no one at the helm in Providence.
Maybe the Pac-10 can be the one to suggest this.

I think the BE would have one FB play and the PAC 10 have one play for a BCS spot. More often than not 2 teams would come out of an 18 team arrangement. As for the BB each have their own tourney. The NCAA is going to 96 teams it is not like it is going to matter anyway. The PAC 10 didn't have a tourney for years anyway. It is not like it matters anyway. Let them both have their own.

This is about a cable deal and preserving both leagues intact. The particulars are very workable in this scenario. Just needs some leadership.
04-20-2010 06:46 PM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
There is very little for the Pac 10 to gain from this arrangement, which sounds nothing more than a life preserver for the schools left out of Big Ten expansion.
04-20-2010 06:54 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
(04-20-2010 06:54 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  There is very little for the Pac 10 to gain from this arrangement, which sounds nothing more than a life preserver for the schools left out of Big Ten expansion.

exactly right. There is zero chance the Pac 10 would ever agree to this. And even if they did, it would do nothing to prevent any BE team from taking an invite to the Big 10.

I keep hearing all this moaning about how the BE wasn't "proactive". What exactly could they have done to prevent this from happening? Nothing. Unless you want to go back to the early days when Joe Pa was thwarted in his dream for an Eastern All-Sports Conference. That was the key turning point that lead us to this situation.
04-20-2010 07:08 PM
Insideout Offline
Water Engineer

(04-20-2010 06:54 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  There is very little for the Pac 10 to gain from this arrangement, which sounds nothing more than a life preserver for the schools left out of Big Ten expansion.

Nothing more than not having to add teams which is exactly what they will have to do if the 14-16 team format takes place. They are already only 125 million down to the Big Ten now wait until they go to 16 and really monetize this thing.

You must work at the BE front office ........ don't explore anything, don't try to think outside the box, don't try anything, bend over grab your ankles cause here it comes.
04-20-2010 07:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.