03-04-2010 04:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
RE: ETSU (Official ASUN TOURNAMENT Game Thread) - 03/05/10
KSU fans worst nightmare! Just kidding...who saw this coming?!
03-04-2010 04:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
Was really hoping that Campbell would win - we match up so much better with them than ETSU. But at least now we get a shot at revenge. It will be interesting to see what kind of gameplan that our staff comes up with for this game. I think it is pretty obvious that if we both play our regular styles of play that ETSU will come out victorious as both games we have played against them have been comfortable victories for the Bucs.

The one thing I remember from our last game at ETSU was how they dominated us on the offensive boards. That cannot happen this game if we want to win. We have enough size to stay competitive with them on the boards, and we need it tomorrow night. Huge game for the Owls. We have already shown ourselves worthy of the ASun by advancing to the Final Four in our first year. Now is when we could really shock the league by advancing to the finals. We are severe underdogs in my opinion in this game, but anything can happen on a given night. Go Owls!
03-04-2010 05:29 PM
adamsputnik Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KSU, UGA, GFC
Well, that's a bugger. ETSU just seem to have the wood on us.

But, anything can happen in a big game (well, it's big for us!).
03-04-2010 07:44 PM
Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
I think we'll fair a lot better this time around.
03-04-2010 08:02 PM
Corn_3024 Offline
Special Teams

Ugh. Not a good matchup for us at all. Being the 8 seed and still alive.. guess we cant complain.
03-04-2010 09:02 PM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
This is March Madness, so I would never be brazen enough to predict the outcome, especially given your big win over DLU.

I think we match up well with you have had played well in our two meetings. I think the biggest advantage for us is tournament experience. This is the 3rd consecutive year we've been to the semi-final game, and we've won all 3. It's impossible to quantify the intangible of experience.

Then again, young inexperienced teams don't know any better. This is the beauty of March Madness!!
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2010 09:24 PM by Bucfaithful.)
03-04-2010 09:23 PM
Escalade2121 Offline
2nd String

If you remember back to the game a few weeks ago in Johnson City where the Bucs annihilated the Owls, the score at the half was 37-20. The second half score was a respectable 29-25. However, combined, the Owls lost 66-45. Some things I noticed from the box score from that game are: #1 we have to get a hand in their face on the shots. They were 6-11 in 3pt shots in the 1st half, contrastingly, KSU was 2-12. The rebounding was pretty similar (39 etsu to 42 KSU with 15 and 14 offense rebounds respectively). However, the most telling stat, and the one that concerns me the most, are the turnovers. The Owls turned the ball over 20 times compared to 7 for the Bucs. Off those 20 turnovers, the Bucs got 19 points compared to the Owls' 2 points off turnovers.

So I said all that to say I believe we need to start out strong. Play solid defense, and be crisp on offense. The minute our focus begins to wane, that's when the turnovers begin occurring and that's when ETSU runs and gets those easy buckets.

Leading into the game that's my scouting report based off of our last contest with ETSU. Here's to cinderella!
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2010 10:32 PM by Escalade2121.)
03-04-2010 10:31 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
My sure you guys bring all your NBA talent to the game tomorrow
03-05-2010 12:01 AM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
If the stars aligned and Mercer/kennesaw was the final.. the crowd would be out of this world.
03-05-2010 12:50 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Honestly man, I think ETSU would bring more fans to the final than KSU.
03-05-2010 01:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
Well we'll cross that bridge if we get to it. First it's the semi-finals.......
03-05-2010 01:56 AM
Escalade2121 Offline
2nd String

(03-05-2010 12:50 AM)MercerFan Wrote:  If the stars aligned and Mercer/kennesaw was the final.. the crowd would be out of this world.

Crowd or not, that would be a sick game. I know this, if that happens my butt is in Macon tomorrow!
03-05-2010 06:42 AM
Escalade2121 Offline
2nd String

"Kennesaw's good, they've got athletes. What makes them dangerous is that they're very athletic, very dangerous. I'm sure they're playing loose and very aggressive and they're a very dange....I mean obviously they beat Lipscomb the #1 seed. That's got my attention."

--ETSU Head Coach Murry Bartow (after yesterday's win over Campbell)
03-05-2010 07:30 AM
Go Fly Win Owls! Offline
2nd String

(03-05-2010 07:30 AM)Escalade2121 Wrote:  "Kennesaw's good, they've got athletes. What makes them dangerous is that they're very athletic, very dangerous. I'm sure they're playing loose and very aggressive and they're a very dange....I mean obviously they beat Lipscomb the #1 seed. That's got my attention."

--ETSU Head Coach Murry Bartow (after yesterday's win over Campbell)

I'll be there. I expect a FIERCE rebounding battle tonight .... but the key will be guard play on the defensive end.

Go, Fly, Win, OWLS!
03-05-2010 08:24 AM
adamsputnik Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KSU, UGA, GFC
(03-05-2010 01:18 AM)Mike_Hunt Wrote:  
(03-05-2010 01:11 AM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Honestly man, I think ETSU would bring more fans to the final than KSU.

Kennesaw kids generally don't give a crap about sports or school functions. For the most part they're just a bunch of middle of the barrel moronic preppy/skater kids who can't afford the school of their dreams, spend 2 years and then transfer or are just too dumb to get in anywhere else and don't really care about school spirit. The other group is commuter students (many are older) who keep campus life separate from personal life, which means no basketball games.

But you're not a cynic or anything? 03-wink

Things will change - especially if football gets into gear.
03-05-2010 08:26 AM
Advertisement

Escalade2121 Offline
2nd String

Reading the ETSU boards makes it seem to me like they think their road to the NCAA tournament is paved with gold. I guess deservedly so, they did destroy us in both games this season. Hopefully, they will be looking past KSU. Coach Ingle referred to something that the Owls did the last 6 minutes or so ago against LU he called "feel it, fire it". Not sure if I like that game plan, but it obviously worked. I just feel like it sets us up for one and done situations throwing up a long jumper and a long rebound for ETSU. I liked what Murry Bartow said in the presser. He said that the last few minutes of the game he told his team to just go out there and play. Play as if it was just a pick up game. We'll see. I remember watching the CSS game of the week when we played in Johnson City and I remember thinking to myself that they destroyed our zone. It will be interesting if we come out in the zone tonight or if we try to switch into man.

Any other thoughts from the previous contests against ETSU?
03-05-2010 10:57 AM
1st String

Here is the deal with tonight's game. We have to try something new. We can't just play them straight up and expect to win. We are going to have to make open shots (which we did NOT do in Johnson city) and they are going to have to miss some shots. To be honest, ETSU hit everything in our last outing. I think Tubbs had 6 three pointers at halftime or something crazy like that. At the same time we couldn't hit anything. If our shooting numbers can even out a bit with them, and we do a little bit better job on the boards then we should have a chance. They are still obviously the deserved favorite team in this contest, and it would be a big upset to take them down.
03-05-2010 12:51 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
(03-05-2010 10:57 AM)Escalade2121 Wrote:  Reading the ETSU boards makes it seem to me like they think their road to the NCAA tournament is paved with gold. I guess deservedly so, they did destroy us in both games this season. Hopefully, they will be looking past KSU. Coach Ingle referred to something that the Owls did the last 6 minutes or so ago against LU he called "feel it, fire it". Not sure if I like that game plan, but it obviously worked. I just feel like it sets us up for one and done situations throwing up a long jumper and a long rebound for ETSU. I liked what Murry Bartow said in the presser. He said that the last few minutes of the game he told his team to just go out there and play. Play as if it was just a pick up game. We'll see. I remember watching the CSS game of the week when we played in Johnson City and I remember thinking to myself that they destroyed our zone. It will be interesting if we come out in the zone tonight or if we try to switch into man.

Any other thoughts from the previous contests against ETSU?
If I were Kennesaw I would play zone. Make ETSU have to be patient, think, and find the open man and you have a good chance.
03-05-2010 01:13 PM
1st String

BucNut our zone this year has either been wildly effective, or completely ineffective - without much middle room. My guess is that ETSU will see some zone tonight, but if we are leaving gaping holes, and giving you second chances (which is my real worry out of a zone against ETSU), then we will probably get out of it. I like M2M against your squad personally.
03-05-2010 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.