Providence B10 expansion article
03-03-2010 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: Providence B10 expansion article
Why have we yet to hear a peep out of Marinatto and the BE office about this. What is the plan going forward. What is the backup plan for each scenario. Is a split being considered. What schools, if any are being looked at. Are they fiddling while rome burns.
03-03-2010 12:44 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If the Big Tin takes 3 schools, IMO The BEast is dead...

Don't look for guidence in The BEast offices. You won't find it...
03-03-2010 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I think articles like this come out of the ProJo to reassure the home folks that PC has a place alongside ND, Georgetown and Villanova. Frankly, these three schools can no longer afford to be considered in a "Catholic League" scenario with schools like Seton Hall and St. John's which have cut their athletic programs to the bone.

(So has WVU, but that's a different topic.)
03-03-2010 12:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(03-03-2010 12:57 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  I think articles like this come out of the ProJo to reassure the home folks that PC has a place alongside ND, Georgetown and Villanova. Frankly, these three schools can no longer afford to be considered in a "Catholic League" scenario with schools like Seton Hall and St. John's which have cut their athletic programs to the bone.

Finally coming around to my smaller version of the hybrid I see. 03-wink

Unfortunately, it may be too late. 03-weeping

Cheers,
Neil
03-03-2010 01:08 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Adding Rutgers, which has never been a factor in Big East men’s basketball but is a national player in both football and women’s basketball, would allow the Big Ten entry into the New York/New Jersey market. While the Big Ten Network is already carried by New York-area cable TV networks, Rutgers would see its profile grow substantially if it begins playing football against the likes of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State on a yearly basis.

No disrespect intended here, but is it accurate to describe Rutgers as a "national player in football"? I certainly respect their class and tradition, but their overall record is arguably no better than Memphis's. However, they still may be a great choice for the Big 10, because, as inferred in the article, they have great POTENTIAL to develop with the increase in money and prestige they will gain. I continue to hope that the Big East will consider such factors.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2010 01:46 PM by Gray Avenger.)
03-03-2010 01:45 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(03-03-2010 01:08 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(03-03-2010 12:57 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  I think articles like this come out of the ProJo to reassure the home folks that PC has a place alongside ND, Georgetown and Villanova. Frankly, these three schools can no longer afford to be considered in a "Catholic League" scenario with schools like Seton Hall and St. John's which have cut their athletic programs to the bone.

Cheers,
Neil
It was too late when we left ourselves vulnerable many years ago...
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2010 01:45 PM by bitcruncher.)
03-03-2010 01:45 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Sorry, I find that article hard to believe. Especially when it has been reported that the Big Ten (along with the Pac-10) have been in contact with Texas. Also, Missouri has been begging the Big Ten to look at them, that doesn't sound like a school that is already on the Big Ten's radar. This reminds me of when the Big East announced their expansion and the teams that were listed, outside of Louisville of course, were Central Florida, Temple and Marshall. Cincinnati was said that have next to zero chance of coming to the conference.
03-03-2010 10:27 PM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
There is no doubt the Big Ten wants Texas and Notre Dame. Problem is those schools don't want the Big Ten. Therefore they move on.
03-03-2010 10:58 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-03-2010 10:27 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  Sorry, I find that article hard to believe. Especially when it has been reported that the Big Ten (along with the Pac-10) have been in contact with Texas. Also, Missouri has been begging the Big Ten to look at them, that doesn't sound like a school that is already on the Big Ten's radar. This reminds me of when the Big East announced their expansion and the teams that were listed, outside of Louisville of course, were Central Florida, Temple and Marshall. Cincinnati was said that have next to zero chance of coming to the conference.

I didn't know that Big East talked about UCF, Temple and Marshall as candidates. That shows you that smokescreens are the norm in these discussions. It's the right recipe - you have a school that you know the conference really wants (Louisville) to make it seem legit and then have a few others that you're not that interested in. That throws everyone off of the real trail.

These leaks from the Big Ten are happening with a purpose. That's not some conspiracy theory - it happens in politics and business all the time in order to get messages through the press or gauge public interest. What do Texas alums think of Texas going to the Big Ten? If it's good, we've got something. If it's bad, then we'll just deny everything and move on. Same thing with all of the names out there: Rutgers, Missouri, Nebraska, Syracuse, Pitt, etc.

Someone had a great point in my blog: when you study to show how much money you'll make in a potential M&A transaction, you actually look at the baseline worst case scenario as opposed to the best case scenario. So, this report could be a big sign to Texas, Nebraska and other big-name candidates saying, "Heck, we can make $25 million per school with a school like Rutgers. We can make that much even with a school within our footprint like Pitt. That shows how stable we are where we can make twice as much TV money as you without even a big name. Imagine what that would look like with the state of Texas in the fold." It gets people thinking - "The Big Ten would make that much with just Rutgers? Seriously? How much freaking money is that Big Ten Network worth?"

Rutgers isn't going to be school #12 in a 12-school Big Ten. The Big Ten didn't wait around for 20 years for Notre Dame and then just decide to give up that very valuable last spot for Rutgers. (No personal disrespect to the Rutgers fans on the board.) If the Big Ten adds Texas and/or Notre Dame (or maybe Nebraska), though, then Rutgers becomes a very reasonable bet on the NY market in a 14-school scenario.
03-04-2010 01:07 AM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
So the B10 can get richer by adding BE schools according to the report. Really?

Let's do the math.
Currently the B10 schools are raking in $21 million for 11 schools. say $23 million per school would be richer. To go to $23 million the new member has to bring in $45 million per year. To dream that Rutgers is going to bring in $45 million is foolish. They can't do that in the BE they can't do that in the B10. And to sell the B10 package in NYC- well there's just too much garbage in the B10 that NYC folk don't care about.

We really don't give a hoot about Michigan and we'd fall alseep if they try talking to the east coast about "academics." We got the Ivy league on the east coast to talk about "real" academics. If the B10 is going to see their academics as better than the IVY League (Harvard,Yale, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, Cornell), I'm going to sleep on that conversation.

Of course, going from $21 million to $21.5 million is also getting "richer." The B10's best hope is Texas. Any three BE teams they select would reduce the amount of money they make. Any one Be team will leave them dissappointed. Who's kidding whom?

You can scoop up rutgers if Rutgers is having a very, very, good year. But who knows what happens three years down the road (See Miami/FSU and the ACC for details).

IN fact the B10 is beginning to sound like John Swofford and look how that turned out. NYC is not going to watch the Mich/OSU B10 conference championship game- probably because Rutgers is in New Jersey- probably because who cares- any more then people in Boston are gathering around the television to watch Duke/UNC in basketball or even BC/whomever?- in the FB title game. Rutgers going to the B10 does not make rutgers closer to NYC- it makes them further from NYC. NYC is not going to fall in love with the south, the midwest or any other region no more than any other region is going to fall in love with NYC.

Advice to B10- take a geographical fit. Hope to maintain at least $20 milllion per team and be happy.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2010 05:08 AM by frogman.)
03-04-2010 05:01 AM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
NYC isn't going to fall in love with college football period.
03-04-2010 07:11 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(03-04-2010 07:11 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  NYC isn't going to fall in love with college football period.

Big Ten knows that....heck...the Big East ALREADY knows that....however...the Big Ten knows it just needs a "share" of the NYC Market to "pay attention" to Big Ten Football for them to make loads of $$$$$$.
03-04-2010 10:43 AM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
(03-03-2010 01:08 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

There is no moral right and wrong but just business. The straw that break the camel back, that brilliant idea that they have to do to keep themselves safe, look foolish if they coming along with FB schools. A simple basic common sense, less mouth more food for everyone else.
03-04-2010 10:46 AM
MemphisTger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis
Word is the Big 10 really wants Notre Dame but the Irish will not walk away from their football independence. Look for Rutgers, Missouri, and Pitt to get a lot of attention and possible invites to the Big 10 this summer. Word is that the Admins and alumni of Texas do not want part of the Big 10 for financial and geographic reasons.
03-04-2010 10:59 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(03-04-2010 10:43 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(03-04-2010 07:11 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  NYC isn't going to fall in love with college football period.

Big Ten knows that....heck...the Big East ALREADY knows that....however...the Big Ten knows it just needs a "share" of the NYC Market to "pay attention" to Big Ten Football for them to make loads of $$$$$$.

Seems they have that already, with the bunch of PSU fans who already live there.
03-04-2010 12:12 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I heard today that the Big 10 is only adding 1 team. They're going to invite Texas, and if they decline the offer is going to Providence.
03-04-2010 05:48 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(03-04-2010 05:01 AM)frogman Wrote:  So the B10 can get richer by adding BE schools according to the report. Really?

Let's do the math.
Currently the B10 schools are raking in $21 million for 11 schools. say $23 million per school would be richer. To go to $23 million the new member has to bring in $45 million per year. To dream that Rutgers is going to bring in $45 million is foolish. They can't do that in the BE they can't do that in the B10. And to sell the B10 package in NYC- well there's just too much garbage in the B10 that NYC folk don't care about.

We really don't give a hoot about Michigan and we'd fall alseep if they try talking to the east coast about "academics." We got the Ivy league on the east coast to talk about "real" academics. If the B10 is going to see their academics as better than the IVY League (Harvard,Yale, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, Cornell), I'm going to sleep on that conversation.

Of course, going from $21 million to $21.5 million is also getting "richer." The B10's best hope is Texas. Any three BE teams they select would reduce the amount of money they make. Any one Be team will leave them dissappointed. Who's kidding whom?

You can scoop up rutgers if Rutgers is having a very, very, good year. But who knows what happens three years down the road (See Miami/FSU and the ACC for details).

IN fact the B10 is beginning to sound like John Swofford and look how that turned out. NYC is not going to watch the Mich/OSU B10 conference championship game- probably because Rutgers is in New Jersey- probably because who cares- any more then people in Boston are gathering around the television to watch Duke/UNC in basketball or even BC/whomever?- in the FB title game. Rutgers going to the B10 does not make rutgers closer to NYC- it makes them further from NYC. NYC is not going to fall in love with the south, the midwest or any other region no more than any other region is going to fall in love with NYC.

Advice to B10- take a geographical fit. Hope to maintain at least $20 milllion per team and be happy.

When all of this began, I was convinced that the Big Ten would never consider going past 12 schools. Now, though, I'm starting to think that 14 schools are much more likely. However, that does require a Texas/Notre Dame-type school or maybe a Nebraska to work.

There are very few scenarios where adding 3 schools is financially feasible. It's simply not going to work with adding the state of Missouri, Pitt (which the Big Ten already covers in terms of the BTN) and a speculative bet on the NYC market with either Syracuse or Rutgers.

Adding a guaranteed Texas market to the Big Ten Network, though, would allow the Big Ten to play with "house money" and make a bet on the NYC market. Think of Texas, Texas A&M and Rutgers as the new 3 additions to the Big Ten. The fans are happy because you get a big splash with Texas and the bean counters are very happy that the Big Ten just added the 2 largest TV markets outside of LA that it didn't already have (NYC and Dallas). Think about that: the Big Ten would have 4 out of the top 5 TV markets at that point. Who knows if that will happen, but if that report is accurate in saying that the Big Ten Network would make schools like Rutgers to be a profitable endeavor, that's an indication of how much ridiculous cash that entity is pulling in (and how it would be off-the-charts with a marquee school like Texas or Notre Dame in the fold).

The one thing that I'll quibble with is frogman's comment that the Big Ten ought to "settle" for $20 million in this expansion round. There's no way that's happening - this expansion exercise is to push the Big Ten payouts into the $25-30 million range and they're definitely not adding a school to just maintain the status quo or even lose money. These guys aren't doing this to be charitable or because they're just tired of having 11 schools.

Here's the irony: the most valuable BE school to the Big Ten for TV purposes (Rutgers) is probably the school that the BE would be most comfortable with losing if push came to shove. I think that Syracuse or Pitt leaving would hurt the perception of the BE much more, but they aren't as attractive as Rutgers with how the Big Ten Network works (although I'm still much higher on Syracuse as a candidate than the general public seems to be).
03-04-2010 06:21 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(03-04-2010 05:48 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  I heard today that the Big 10 is only adding 1 team. They're going to invite Texas, and if they decline the offer is going to Providence.

If Providence doesn't accept, DePaul will join, but only if Marquette comes with them.
03-04-2010 06:22 PM
bengltgrs Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-04-2010 05:48 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  I heard today that the Big 10 is only adding 1 team. They're going to invite Texas, and if they decline the offer is going to Providence.

Texas is going nowhere. They have already spurned the SEC and that makes far more sense than the B10.
03-04-2010 06:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.