Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Southern Miss rumors...
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Southern Miss rumors...
I was bored at work today and remembered the USM thread from a couple days ago so I decided to seach around a little. I found the rumor is pretty wide spread among USM fans. From what I gather, a componet of the rumor is that Louisville is pushing for USMs membership. Are USM/UL close at all? On our end, has anyone heard the faintest rumblings about the BE splitting and going to 12? It just seems to me that a league couldn't keep that quiet even if it wanted to..there would be too many schools involved

Jackson
02-19-2010 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers!!!!!
RE: Southern Miss rumors...
Could be internet blogs... but with that many people someone had to contact someone to gauge
interest....
02-19-2010 03:24 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I should add that I'm not suggesting that it'll happen...but its just such an odd rumor seemingly out of left field

Jackson
02-19-2010 03:26 PM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies
If there is a true split, and the BE goes to 12 and implements a more "Southern" division, USM would be a fine choice. They have put a lot of money into their facilities recently, have a decent fanbase, and obviously put a good product on the field.

Like ECU, they have long been stifled by in-state "big brothers", and it would be VERY interesting to see what an infusion of BCS $$ and some level ground would do for their program....
02-19-2010 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2010 03:26 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  I should add that I'm not suggesting that it'll happen...but its just such an odd rumor seemingly out of left field

Jackson

I though it was strange also , I do like Southern Miss but just didn't think
they were persuing as hard as Memphis has been but who knows? I have heard from very reliable sources that told me do not be shocked at
anything it is all up in the air at this point...
02-19-2010 03:31 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I haven't heard any legit split rumors. The only thing from Pitt fans is its tired of the current setup.
02-19-2010 03:44 PM
Advertisement

MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

It maybe a waiting game right now, contacts ongoing but Im not sure who begins ... The big boys are
have their cards close to the chest, I don't know who will pull the first string and I'm sure they dont
want to make a mistake...So it could be a while but it is still exciting.
02-19-2010 03:57 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
No disrespect to USM, but seriously?! 3rd school behind Ole Miss and Mississippi State at best in a state that has a small population base and is economically challenged. I don't think the BE should split for UCF, Memphis or ECU, but at least they all do bring at something to the table. If you want to split, go for the jugular by bringing in someone like TCU. USM, though? I'm lost.
02-19-2010 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2010 03:57 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  No disrespect to USM, but seriously?! 3rd school behind Ole Miss and Mississippi State at best in a state that has a small population base and is economically challenged. I don't think the BE should split for UCF, Memphis or ECU, but at least they all do bring at something to the table. If you want to split, go for the jugular by bringing in someone like TCU. USM, though? I'm lost.

I have no idea how Southern Miss got into the mix maybe it's bloggers
hoping , really don't have a clue.
02-19-2010 03:59 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-19-2010 03:59 PM)MonsterTigerBlue Wrote:  I have no idea how Southern Miss got into the mix maybe it's bloggers
hoping , really don't have a clue.

If Big East fans want USM, so be it, but I don't want to hear any further criticisms of Memphis concerning footprint, market size, endowment, or athletic budget, because we are definitely superior to USM on those counts. I don't think I need to mention basketball and even in football, we have beaten them 4 of the last 6 games. 01-wingedeagle

That said, in my opinion, USM certainly beats the likes of Buffalo, Villanova, FIU, FAU, Delaware, UMass and other rinky-dink candidates I have seen touted here.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2010 04:17 PM by Gray Avenger.)
02-19-2010 04:17 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
The best I can figure is someone reported they saw some BE officials on campus in Hattiesburg, and that's what caused the blowup of rumors.
02-19-2010 04:43 PM
Advertisement

MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2010 04:43 PM)TripleA Wrote:  The best I can figure is someone reported they saw some BE officials on campus in Hattiesburg, and that's what caused the blowup of rumors.

That may actually be a fact, but I'm not putting my name in the mix with
that .... but Southern Miss source said it happend so take that for what
it's worth.... no disrespect SM..
02-19-2010 05:04 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
This was on one of the Louisville boards and let me tell you first hand I loved are rival with USM and would like to see them on the schedule more than less, but as a member of the Big East no way, and that in a nut shell is what was said on the board as well. I can see officials looking at prospects to be looking, but really as things stand currently the teams that will more than likely be added is UCF, Memphis, ECU and Temple. NOW if there happens to be a HUGE break up of the Big Twelve and I mean them losing 6 teams then I would hope like hell that the Big East would pursue some of the left overs, but I am ok with the four teams that have been mentioned over and over. But bak to the topic at hand No I would not want Southern Miss as a member not that they are not talented enough to compete, but really they are to far outside the footprint, and Memphis IMO is no where near outside that mark for they fit geographically in every aspect, but USM NO.
02-19-2010 05:25 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-19-2010 03:04 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  I was bored at work today and remembered the USM thread from a couple days ago so I decided to seach around a little. I found the rumor is pretty wide spread among USM fans. From what I gather, a componet of the rumor is that Louisville is pushing for USMs membership. Are USM/UL close at all? On our end, has anyone heard the faintest rumblings about the BE splitting and going to 12? It just seems to me that a league couldn't keep that quiet even if it wanted to..there would be too many schools involved

Jackson

USM and Louisville are not close.

I assume this rumor was born of our agreement to play them in football.
02-19-2010 05:45 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-19-2010 05:25 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  This was on one of the Louisville boards and let me tell you first hand I loved are rival with USM and would like to see them on the schedule more than less, but as a member of the Big East no way, and that in a nut shell is what was said on the board as well. I can see officials looking at prospects to be looking, but really as things stand currently the teams that will more than likely be added is UCF, Memphis, ECU and Temple. NOW if there happens to be a HUGE break up of the Big Twelve and I mean them losing 6 teams then I would hope like hell that the Big East would pursue some of the left overs, but I am ok with the four teams that have been mentioned over and over. But bak to the topic at hand No I would not want Southern Miss as a member not that they are not talented enough to compete, but really they are to far outside the footprint, and Memphis IMO is no where near outside that mark for they fit geographically in every aspect, but USM NO.

I agree. Dream sequence would have the B10 and Pac10 rape the Big 12 by Pac 10 taking CU and Big 10 taking a combination of Texas, Mizzou, Nebraska and TA&MU. We split, pick up Kansas and K-State to get to ten and go from there. Oklahoma would be in an interesting position at that point. If Mizzou is left out maybe you make an effort to land them too. Kansas would fit right in with the athletic makeup of the current conference members.

FWIW Kansas U is closer to the Big East geographically than USM.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2010 06:01 PM by L-yes.)
02-19-2010 05:53 PM
SowasheeEagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-19-2010 05:45 PM)L-yes Wrote:  
(02-19-2010 03:04 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  I was bored at work today and remembered the USM thread from a couple days ago so I decided to seach around a little. I found the rumor is pretty wide spread among USM fans. From what I gather, a componet of the rumor is that Louisville is pushing for USMs membership. Are USM/UL close at all? On our end, has anyone heard the faintest rumblings about the BE splitting and going to 12? It just seems to me that a league couldn't keep that quiet even if it wanted to..there would be too many schools involved

Jackson

The fanbase might not be, but, my understanding is that SM AD Richard Giannni and Tom Jurich are very close.
02-19-2010 06:01 PM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-19-2010 06:01 PM)SowasheeEagle Wrote:  
(02-19-2010 05:45 PM)L-yes Wrote:  

Jackson

The fanbase might not be, but, my understanding is that SM AD Richard Giannni and Tom Jurich are very close.

I'm fairly connected to the AD and I'm not seeing or hearing it. They may like each other personally which is fine. It doesn't mean that USM in the Big East makes any sense.
02-19-2010 06:03 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(02-19-2010 04:43 PM)TripleA Wrote:  The best I can figure is someone reported they saw some BE officials on campus in Hattiesburg, and that's what caused the blowup of rumors.

nice! 03-lmfao
02-19-2010 07:55 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I would love this all sports conference:

North
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
West Virginia
Central Florida

South
Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis
East Carolina
Southern Miss
South Florida

04-cheers
02-19-2010 09:41 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
I don't think you will see a B12 and BE merger unless some of the Northeastern BE schools head to other conferences.

Rutgers to B10
Cuse and UConn to ACC

then you have a better chance of merging the other five or six with the remaining B12 teams after Pac 10 and B10 are done.
02-19-2010 10:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.