Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The cream of the recruiting crop isn't coming to EMU
Bookmark and Share
TheMACer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The MAC
The cream of the recruiting crop isn't coming to EMU
I guess that this isn't too surprising, but I thought that Coach English would get at least 1 or 2 names off this list. Zero out of the Top 50 players in Michigan though.

http://themacdaily.com/index.php?news&nid=349
01-28-2010 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidwestRecruiting Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MIDWEST
RE: The cream of the recruiting crop isn't coming to EMU
And that is a good thing (This Year)! The state of Michigan is extremely down this year! Big year for the state of Illinois in the Midwest which I believe Eastern Michigan has done a Great job out of the MAC. To date Illinois has 64 total Division 1 players (16 D1 OL) (13 D1 DL) (7 D1 QB's) (8 D1 Rb's) (8 D1 WR's) (6 D1 Db's) (4 D1 LB's) (2 ATH) compare that to Michigans 4 QB, 3 RB, 9 Wr, 7 OL, 7 DL, 9 LB's, 3 Db's, 6 ATH/K 48 total. The OL and DL #'s in Michigan is where you get hurt Compare that to the individual needs of your program and tadah you have less commits in a particular state.
Right now Michigan HS coaches are going to give there top tier players to UM and MSU, 2nd tier to CMU. Why if you are EMU would you want 3rd tier kids in a average football state?
Once EMU wins some games and gets the program going in the right direction the Michigan HS coaches will start to give their 2 tier players but until then.....
One must decide do you want to win or do you want to lose with instate players?
01-28-2010 09:00 PM
Cantwell Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Eagles
We'll have the answer in about 6 days.
01-28-2010 10:10 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(01-28-2010 09:00 PM)MidwestRecruiting Wrote:  And that is a good thing (This Year)! The state of Michigan is extremely down this year! Big year for the state of Illinois in the Midwest which I believe Eastern Michigan has done a Great job out of the MAC. To date Illinois has 64 total Division 1 players (16 D1 OL) (13 D1 DL) (7 D1 QB's) (8 D1 Rb's) (8 D1 WR's) (6 D1 Db's) (4 D1 LB's) (2 ATH) compare that to Michigans 4 QB, 3 RB, 9 Wr, 7 OL, 7 DL, 9 LB's, 3 Db's, 6 ATH/K 48 total. The OL and DL #'s in Michigan is where you get hurt Compare that to the individual needs of your program and tadah you have less commits in a particular state.
Right now Michigan HS coaches are going to give there top tier players to UM and MSU, 2nd tier to CMU. Why if you are EMU would you want 3rd tier kids in a average football state?
Once EMU wins some games and gets the program going in the right direction the Michigan HS coaches will start to give their 2 tier players but until then.....
One must decide do you want to win or do you want to lose with instate players?

Thanks.

Very good analysis.

There is a line of thought that English's thin recruiting in MI is seen as being a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2010 12:16 AM by emu steve.)
01-29-2010 12:14 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, MidwestRecruiting, any word on this player:

"27. Niko Palazeti
FB
6-1
Detroit Cath. Central
Undecided"

There are several really good players out of Catholic Central including a LB, Kinville.

Love to know where these two are going. I believe EMU is in on Kinville.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2010 12:36 AM by emu steve.)
01-29-2010 12:24 AM
Water Engineer

Kinville committed to Central Michigan, it was down to EMU and Central. He has family that have played at CMU. Unfortunately for him, CMU is youthfully loaded at LB. Probably saw Moffett committment and quite possibly another commit we dont know about and decided to go were family was.
01-29-2010 01:31 AM
Advertisement

Water Engineer

I cant say I know about Palazeti.
01-29-2010 01:32 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-29-2010 01:31 AM)MidwestRecruiting Wrote:  Kinville committed to Central Michigan, it was down to EMU and Central. He has family that have played at CMU. Unfortunately for him, CMU is youthfully loaded at LB. Probably saw Moffett committment and quite possibly another commit we dont know about and decided to go were family was.

BTW, thanks for joining us on this board.

We have been desperate for good recruiting info. We don't have a Beat Western or FreznoChip (from Scout.com) or anyone else who is tapped into EMU recruiting who actually talks (or texts) with recruits, parents, high school coaches, etc.

I do read that apparently a lot of MAC schools are having very strong recruiting years -- Temple, Toledo, CMU, BG, etc.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2010 07:30 AM by emu steve.)
01-29-2010 04:50 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-29-2010 01:31 AM)MidwestRecruiting Wrote:  Kinville committed to Central Michigan, it was down to EMU and Central. He has family that have played at CMU. Unfortunately for him, CMU is youthfully loaded at LB. Probably saw Moffett committment and quite possibly another commit we dont know about and decided to go were family was.

This is a reason I didn't like to see CMU lose verbals in the last 10 days (they lost a few).

It means they have more scholarships to fill late.
01-29-2010 05:48 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(01-29-2010 12:24 AM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, MidwestRecruiting, any word on this player:

"27. Niko Palazeti
FB
6-1
Detroit Cath. Central
Undecided"

There are several really good players out of Catholic Central including a LB, Kinville.

Saw Palazeti in the state championship game. Looked real good. Would be a great fit for the EMU offense. He's also a LB.
01-29-2010 08:48 AM
Water Engineer

You guys will be very happy with the class your coaches are putting together. There are some Florida kids that haven't been talked about, a handful of Jucos ranging from OL to Corner. It isn't about what rivals and scout give as stars to these players, its how your coaches evaluate the talent and forecast them fitting into the system your HC wants to run. I can say that in my 20 + years of covering recruiting in the Midwest, you guys have coaches that can do just that. If I am not mistaken EMU had the highest # of Starting true freshmen in Division 1 last season. One that speaks to the talent they have recruited and two, unfortunately to the talent that was brought in before. It will show poorly in the W/L column for a couple years but will pay dividends in year 3 and 4
01-29-2010 09:59 AM
Advertisement

slick Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
midwest - you are certainly a welcome addition to this board - keep on posting, all has been positive to date. Question - do you cover only football or is basketball recruiting also on your agenda???

Thanks
01-29-2010 11:10 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-29-2010 08:48 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(01-29-2010 12:24 AM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, MidwestRecruiting, any word on this player:

"27. Niko Palazeti
FB
6-1
Detroit Cath. Central
Undecided"

Saw Palazeti in the state championship game. Looked real good. Would be a great fit for the EMU offense. He's also a LB.

Think he is a step (or two) slow for the Big Ten but he might be indeed a great fit for EMU.

I assume Palazeti would be a great lead blocker for Axon next year. (btw, I saw the Scout.com video on Axon - that kid has a great body, great moves.).
01-29-2010 11:11 AM
Dennis D. Rachwal Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eagles
Question for Midwest Recruiting / others
; Do you know if English will be bringing in another QB with this recruiting class? Any input on candidates etc.?
01-29-2010 02:18 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
This question gets brought up (and not by me) every recruiting year so I'll limit my question to the known verbals. How many of these kids had other Div I offers from other MAC teams or other Div I teams? I know Penn and Curry had multiple Div I offers. I will comment about the one JUCO lineman who is at Baylor, Baylor hasn't offered him -yet and his only other published offer is from a non Div I program. From what I've read on the many of the known verbals either EMU was the only Div I school that offered them or the only school period again based upon published reports and I agree the services aren't always accurate.
01-29-2010 04:05 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(01-29-2010 11:11 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-29-2010 08:48 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

"27. Niko Palazeti
FB
6-1
Detroit Cath. Central
Undecided"

Think he is a step (or two) slow for the Big Ten but he might be indeed a great fit for EMU.

I assume Palazeti would be a great lead blocker for Axon next year. (btw, I saw the Scout.com video on Axon - that kid has a great body, great moves.).
http://detnews.com/article/20100202/SPOR...m-U-M--MSU

Why is EMU not on this kid. Seems like a perfect fit.
02-02-2010 11:48 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Kid got a scholarship offer at the last minute from MSU.

He will be a good fit there. Would have been a bad one at UofM.

Would have been a GREAT fit at EMU, as 'Nickle indicated.
02-02-2010 02:54 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I like Nickle's comment why wasn't EMU in on him? Any Div II school that was mentioned in the News article would have gotten a complete recruiting steal.
02-02-2010 02:58 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-02-2010 02:58 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I like Nickle's comment why wasn't EMU in on him? Any Div II school that was mentioned in the News article would have gotten a complete recruiting steal.

Come on, guys.

Don't we understand the recruiting process?

EMU might be interested in hundreds of prospects.

They will send recruiting questionnaires to those they are interested and await a reply. Questions like grades, major, etc. (it's been many years but I believe one of the basketball coaches during the Braun era showed me one - I actually recommended two kids from the D.C. area and one was scheduled for an on campus. Dr. Fennel, though retired, was going to do the academic presentation - the kid was very, very bright [4.0 bright] and wanted to be a doctor).

I remember the 2nd kid, a very local kid - two miles from my house (our local high school), and his high school coach said that he received a questionnaire from EMU. (both of these were during the Braun glory years).

I'm not sure, but I believe Brian Miller at a reception in CLE for the MAC tourney gave me a copy of the questionnaire - It's been maybe what 13 or 14 years?.

A kid who wants to be an engineer, e.g., wouldn't be a good fit at EMU.

That's part of the screening process.

If a kid shows no interest or little interest in EMU then the process usually ends.

I assume this kid probably didn't have any interest in EMU or maybe his academics didn't mesh.

I'll try to find what I read about his academic area of interest.

I think it was engineering, but I'll have to re-google it or find him in one of the recruiting sites.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2010 05:48 PM by emu steve.)
02-02-2010 05:41 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Steve, as I recall you brought this guy's name up and commented:

Kid got a scholarship offer at the last minute from MSU.

He will be a good fit there. Would have been a bad one at UofM.

Would have been a GREAT fit at EMU, as 'Nickle indicated.

I think Nickle and I questioned why EMU did even bother to offer him and Northwood, Wayne State and others did?
02-02-2010 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.