Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hate to start another recruting thread but
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Hate to start another recruting thread but
since I'm not going to discuss this recruit or that...

It appears that this class will be say 22 recruits. I assume that EMU is saving a couple of schollies for others (e.g., I assume Axon will count as a '10 recruit). I assume EMU needs to save one for Moffett as well.

Otherwise, this recruiting season hasn't had much 'drama'. VERY quiet recruiting season.

It has been sit back and wait as a verbal is discovered by a poster here.

All of the known verbals are from outside of MI so there isn't any local scoop in the Detroit, Lansing, etc. papers.

No big recruiting battles. No hoping that a possible 3 star Big Ten recruit falling to us.

We haven't had the 'drama' of say us going up against CMU for a 3 star QB with visits and a bunch of posts from CMU beat writers or site moderators.

I assume there will be a fair number of JUCOs. I still expect some kids from the state of Michigan will end up with us (this is my speculation. I have no hard info to back it up).

I just don't see the 3 star type recruits. Just a lot of good sized kids the staff will try to coach up.

BTW, never saw a list of top MI kids in the Detroit Free Press.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2010 07:07 PM by emu steve.)
01-24-2010 07:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Hate to start another recruting thread but
I'm waiting to see if we sign a punter/kicker in this class, there is one three star WR with possible grade issues that EMU has purportly offered that I'm waiting to see what happens with and one very large lineman who may end up being another Holtzclaw recruiting story. The last I counted there were 10-12 verbals mentioned here-none of them junior college players. There is one JUCO DB who appears to have decommitted to the team he verballed to that EMU had offered early on.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2010 05:54 AM by emu79.)
01-24-2010 08:41 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Reviewing the important thread it appears RE and staff got off to a good start but things slowed down during the season, esp. as the Ls started to mount.

This year's class is one here and one there with the poss. exception of Illinois which seems to be a strong state for us.

Maybe the prototypic recruit is a lineman from Omaha who is considering preferred walkon at Nebraska vs. schollie at EMU.

FWIW, I don't see one 3 star recruit who is verballed.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2010 04:40 AM by emu steve.)
01-25-2010 04:37 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Don't get too caught up in the number of stars. Often time those 1 and 2 star kids were never evaluated.
01-25-2010 09:07 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Agree, Nickle.

What might be interesting about next week is that in years gone by, the verbals were known and we worried who might switch to another program.

This year players, undecided, will be coming TO us rather then FROM us.

That's exciting in its own way. :)
01-25-2010 12:55 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, why I don't have the interest in FB recruiting I previously had (when a lot of it was centered on MI kids).

He is a rivals.com search I did:

"You searched:
Sport: Football; Year: 2010; Interest: Eastern MichiganRevise Search »View all results on map »
101-167 of 167 First0 « Previous0 10 2100 Next »200 Last100 "

According to this search 167 prospects are or were interested in EMU.

And I'll bet next Wednesday that a bunch of signees aren't even in that 167.

"(finding) Needle in the haystack..." describes trying to follow EMU recruiting.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2010 04:29 AM by emu steve.)
01-28-2010 04:27 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2010 09:07 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Don't get too caught up in the number of stars. Often time those 1 and 2 star kids were never evaluated.

More importantly in measuring a recruiting class I think a fan should ask is this talent helping us close the talent gap with the other schools or are we still falling behind?
01-28-2010 04:58 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
01-28-2010 11:39 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

good article, Nickle.

BTW, at the bottom it refers to the top 100 (Scout.com only goes 1 - 40 in MI).

Interesting comments on McFadden and also about EMU and WMU going out of state.

There are those who believe that kids ranked 125 - 150 in Florida are better then say 50 - 60 in MI.

There is the ole Iowa way of recruiting: Get the big farm boy linemen in the midwest and go to the big cities, e.g., Chicago, etc. to get speed.

English's class will be okay, but because it is one in MI, a couple in OH, a few in IL, a couple here and there it is hard go see the 'critical mass' which say CMU has in MI and FL. Very diverse class.

BTW, English likes his linemen Big Ten sized. 04-cheers
01-28-2010 12:25 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

These services have a lot difference in rankings. Compare McFadden's ESPN rating (170 OT) with Rivals or Scout. Scout now has Shelby ranked 275 WR in the country others are so so.

IMO,The linemen size indicates the difference between the type of offensive lineman is spread passing offense and the type needed for a power running attack so at least in this category yes English is recruiting larger size players than Genyk did.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2010 12:34 PM by emu79.)
01-28-2010 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.