Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis Nation's Best Basketball Recruiting Hotbed
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Memphis Nation's Best Basketball Recruiting Hotbed
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/WwRWugCTEd-...s-city.htm

Loads of high school basketball talent in Memphis, TN. The Tigers won't sign more than 4 or 5 each year - plenty more to go around. If Memphis were in the Big East, all conference schools would have new fertile recruiting ground.
01-15-2010 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Memphis Nation's Best Basketball Recruiting Hotbed
[Image: 4822936666_1999e95da9_b.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2010 10:16 PM by UofL07.)
07-23-2010 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerLogic Offline
@MarionTiger

I Root For: The Gringo
(07-23-2010 10:15 PM)UofL07 Wrote:  [Image: 4822936666_1999e95da9_b.jpg]

Wow, just wow... Clearly you've never been to Memphis. Those gals are wayyyy above our streetwalker standard.

I like the way the photo doesn't reveal the Kentucky license plates. Nice touch.
07-26-2010 12:19 AM
Br0cSamson Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(07-23-2010 10:15 PM)UofL07 Wrote:  [Image: 4822936666_1999e95da9_b.jpg]

So Papa john's can give you a bunch of stuff but FedEx can't help us out? How's your coach's trial going btw? Sad when you have claim to the shadiest coach in Kentucky. I would add an emoticon but I can't find one of an aborted fetus.
07-27-2010 10:01 PM
Advertisement

UofL07 Offline
All American

(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  So Papa john's can give you a bunch of stuff but FedEx can't help us out?

1) I was talking about certain Memphis posters coming to the Big East board to whore their school (e.g. "you should take us because of reasons x,y,z). Keep it on the Memphis board or at least leave these type of stuff on the expansion (aka whoring) board where it belongs

2) I don't have a problem with Fed-ex trying to buy Memphis' way into the BCS. If that is the only way Memphis can get into the club, then more power to them. But since you asked, I do see a significant difference between a company paying money to get a school into a conference versus a school paying money to sponsor facilities. The former involves trying to persuade a group of individuals to vote a specific way in return for the purchasing of advertising rights (e.g. vote to take Memphis and we'll give you money) while the latter only involves the purchasing advertising rights only (i.e. PJ's bought ad right but did not say that UofL had to vote on something in return for it).

(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  How's your coach's trial going btw?

Off-topic but it is actually going fairly well. By all account, it looks like Ms. Sypher is going to be heading to jail for some time.

(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  Sad when you have claim to the shadiest coach in Kentucky.

You do realize that off topic emotional jabs are often used by individual who cannot form a strong argument? Essentially, you're attempt to distract them from the point by bringing their emotions into play, while not providing any relevant argument.

However, I'll answer your question. I don't really care what Pitino or anyone else for that matter does in their personal life so long as they can do their job properly. In my opinion, society too often wants to crucify individuals for actions that really only affect a person's family. For example, I could really care less if one of my employees liked to hire prostitutes or engage in recreational drug use so long as their personal actions didn't effect their work performance. Now if their drug use started influencing their work behavior (e.g. they were always late, not able to focus or complete tasks, etc) or if they became a lawsuit liability, then I would have a problem with their behavior. Otherwise, it really isn't my position to condone what they do or don't do in their free time and I'm certainly not in a position to condemn them.

(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  I would add an emoticon but I can't find one of an aborted fetus.

And I would add that abortion is a legal medical procedure and part of a woman's reproductive rights.
07-27-2010 11:27 PM
Jesterroy Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tigers
(07-27-2010 11:27 PM)UofL07 Wrote:  
(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  So Papa john's can give you a bunch of stuff but FedEx can't help us out?

1) I was talking about certain Memphis posters coming to the Big East board to whore their school (e.g. "you should take us because of reasons x,y,z). Keep it on the Memphis board or at least leave these type of stuff on the expansion (aka whoring) board where it belongs

2) I don't have a problem with Fed-ex trying to buy Memphis' way into the BCS. If that is the only way Memphis can get into the club, then more power to them. But since you asked, I do see a significant difference between a company paying money to get a school into a conference versus a school paying money to sponsor facilities. The former involves trying to persuade a group of individuals to vote a specific way in return for the purchasing of advertising rights (e.g. vote to take Memphis and we'll give you money) while the latter only involves the purchasing advertising rights only (i.e. PJ's bought ad right but did not say that UofL had to vote on something in return for it).

(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  How's your coach's trial going btw?

Off-topic but it is actually going fairly well. By all account, it looks like Ms. Sypher is going to be heading to jail for some time.

(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  Sad when you have claim to the shadiest coach in Kentucky.

You do realize that off topic emotional jabs are often used by individual who cannot form a strong argument? Essentially, you're attempt to distract them from the point by bringing their emotions into play, while not providing any relevant argument.

However, I'll answer your question. I don't really care what Pitino or anyone else for that matter does in their personal life so long as they can do their job properly. In my opinion, society too often wants to crucify individuals for actions that really only affect a person's family. For example, I could really care less if one of my employees liked to hire prostitutes or engage in recreational drug use so long as their personal actions didn't effect their work performance. Now if their drug use started influencing their work behavior (e.g. they were always late, not able to focus or complete tasks, etc) or if they became a lawsuit liability, then I would have a problem with their behavior. Otherwise, it really isn't my position to condone what they do or don't do in their free time and I'm certainly not in a position to condemn them.

(07-27-2010 10:01 PM)Br0cSamson Wrote:  I would add an emoticon but I can't find one of an aborted fetus.

And I would add that abortion is a legal medical procedure and part of a woman's reproductive rights.

You clearly don't have any idea as to what FedEx does for the UofM. Research the Fedex Institute of Technology for starters. Fred is simply doing what's best for his Alma Mater.
08-02-2010 09:33 PM
UofL07 Offline
All American

(08-02-2010 09:33 PM)Jesterroy Wrote:  Fred is simply doing what's best for his Alma Mater.

Alma Mater (n.) - 1. a school, college, or university at which one has studied and, usually, from which one has graduated.

Fred smith graduated from Yale University in 1966. He never attended Memphis.
08-03-2010 02:06 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
That shoots a big hole in that theory...
08-08-2010 07:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
burningbright Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: memphis tigers
Gray Avenger has a point. What has DePaul done for the BE lately. The greatest highschool player in Chicago history played at Memphis.
02-08-2011 08:54 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I like Memphis and if they had been smarter they'd probably already be in this league or they'd be the runaway favorite to become the 10th team. The problem for Memphis is that we're all set in basketball. So Memphis is a fertile recruiting area for basketball? BFD! So are Chicago, Milwaukee, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, etc. - all areas that the BE already has all locked up or is at least a player in.

What the Big East NEEDS is football strength and unfortunately for Memphis they don't really help us on that front. The Tigers football program is beyond terrible and it does not appear that they are doing much to improve it. Also, on the facilities front, I know they are putting some money into the Liberty Bowl but it's peanuts compared to what some of their competitors have spent or are planning to spend to upgrade their facilities.

I mean UCF has built two new major facilities and Houston is planning a similarly ambitious plan. TCU, which just got into the BE, is basically rebuilding their entire (similarly obsolete) football stadium. And all of those schools are located in BIG TIME football recruiting hotbeds. In the meantime Memphis is renovating locker rooms in their obsolete stadium that they never come close to filling.

I don't mean to attack Memphis too viciously because when this whole thing started back in 2003, when it became obvious that the Big East was going to have to raid C-USA to survive, the Tigers were my personal No. 2 choice behind Louisville. I knew that those two were rivals and I believed at the time that Memphis could be similarly successful to what the Cardinals had done. But as time as passed it has become clear that both Cincinnati and South Florida were better long term choices and I now believe that so too are both UCF and HOU.

I don't even favor Memphis over Villanova because as horrible as the Nova solution would be for the Big East - and it would be terrible - it would probably cost us less money in the long run than would adding the Temple of the Mid South.
02-10-2011 10:45 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
All I can say is that there will be a mass Memphis/UH/UCF suicide if they announce Nova is going and they will stay at 10.

All these long months of pissing matches and school pimping will have been for naught.
02-10-2011 11:12 AM
TonyTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Memphis
(01-15-2010 11:27 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  http://www.maxpreps.com/news/WwRWugCTEd-...s-city.htm

Loads of high school basketball talent in Memphis, TN. The Tigers won't sign more than 4 or 5 each year - plenty more to go around. If Memphis were in the Big East, all conference schools would have new fertile recruiting ground.

Come on G.A., Why not stop posting promotions for Memphis on this board ... 05-nono ?

If they're interested, they'll look us up ... "Heck, TCU was neither on the east coast nor trolling for Big East support. Nevertheless, they not only got a BEast bid, but were able to name they're own price ...
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 01:12 PM by TonyTiger.)
02-10-2011 01:08 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
(02-10-2011 10:45 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I like Memphis and if they had been smarter they'd probably already be in this league or they'd be the runaway favorite to become the 10th team. The problem for Memphis is that we're all set in basketball. So Memphis is a fertile recruiting area for basketball? BFD! So are Chicago, Milwaukee, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, etc. - all areas that the BE already has all locked up or is at least a player in.

What the Big East NEEDS is football strength and unfortunately for Memphis they don't really help us on that front. The Tigers football program is beyond terrible and it does not appear that they are doing much to improve it. Also, on the facilities front, I know they are putting some money into the Liberty Bowl but it's peanuts compared to what some of their competitors have spent or are planning to spend to upgrade their facilities.

I mean UCF has built two new major facilities and Houston is planning a similarly ambitious plan. TCU, which just got into the BE, is basically rebuilding their entire (similarly obsolete) football stadium. And all of those schools are located in BIG TIME football recruiting hotbeds. In the meantime Memphis is renovating locker rooms in their obsolete stadium that they never come close to filling.

I don't mean to attack Memphis too viciously because when this whole thing started back in 2003, when it became obvious that the Big East was going to have to raid C-USA to survive, the Tigers were my personal No. 2 choice behind Louisville. I knew that those two were rivals and I believed at the time that Memphis could be similarly successful to what the Cardinals had done. But as time as passed it has become clear that both Cincinnati and South Florida were better long term choices and I now believe that so too are both UCF and HOU.

I don't even favor Memphis over Villanova because as horrible as the Nova solution would be for the Big East - and it would be terrible - it would probably cost us less money in the long run than would adding the Temple of the Mid South.

Cincinnati and USF did all their growing AFTER joining the Big East. At the time they were selected, Memphis had a better football team.
02-10-2011 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.