Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
CofC 82 - #9 North Carolina 79 - Final
Wow.
01-04-2010 09:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
RE: CofC 82 - #9 North Carolina 79 - Final
(01-04-2010 09:15 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Wow.

UNC did have two key players out in this game but yeah WOW! I thought C of C would give them a good game but I didn't think they would win. Great win for them.
01-04-2010 09:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Amazing what happens when the big boys go on the road. UNC has played 2 road games up to this point. TWO! And they have lost both games.
01-04-2010 09:29 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
It was funny as I was coming home from work today, one of the guys on the sports talk radio station here in Raleigh said, "UNC wins this game in a route." However in defense of the other guy, he replied and said "I think it will be much closer but UNC still wins." I can't wait to hear what they say tomorrow.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2010 09:35 PM by Bucster.)
01-04-2010 09:32 PM
BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
So does that mean the Bucs are 9 better than the Heels?
01-04-2010 09:35 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
What this means is exactly what I said back when we beat COC. It's different when you hit those SoCon teams early in the season rather than January when we used to play them. They are clearly finding themselves now. College of Charelston is better than we are...despite our victory over them in the dome. Western Carolina is too. I do not, however, think UTC or ASU is as good as we are.

I saw the Upstate game today and I'm telling you...we have a long way to go if we want to get back to the NCAA. We are not a team yet. Looks like COC is becoming one.
01-04-2010 09:39 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
This is why you should do WHATEVER IT TAKES to schedule a "big boy" at home. I don't care if you have to give up 4 games, a win is worth a lot more.
01-04-2010 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Somebody had an interesting comment regarding head to head matchups in bowls; saying that such records could be misleading.

For instance, one team is usually more fired up than another. Service acadamies, for instance, always seem to do very well in bowls.

Seriously, did you really think Florida State was going to lose Bobby Bowden's last game?

How about Cincinnati- did you think they were going to show up with their head coach gone and their new one not on the sideline yet? You knew they'd be in disarray before the game!

And I remember in 1998 when Purdue, as a 16-point underdog, beat Kansas State and I wasn't surprised in the least bit. Kansas State had just blown an opportunity to play for a National Championship and had sunk all the way down to a minor, pre-Jan. 1 bowl. Do you honestly think they were up for the game?

Same thing here. Do you think C of C, without Wiggins and playing at ETSU, was as up for that game as they were against UNC?

I'll take it one step further. For all the A-Sun bashing and "The SoCon is better" statements we make on here, and we know that the ETSU athletic community (players, coaches, administrators) keeps very close tabs on this board, do you not think ETSU might be just a bit fired up to play a SoCon opponent to show their worth?

Yes, being "all fired up" can be overstated. But it can also mean extra preparation, and that shouldn't be overstated.
01-04-2010 10:10 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Personally I don't think Adam Sollazzo, Tommy Hubbard, or Isiah Brown care about playing App State or CofC any more than they would playing Lipscomb or Mercer. Fans yes, players no.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2010 10:18 PM by ETSUfan1.)
01-04-2010 10:17 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
Belmont has become THE game for ETSU, sadly its now bigger than UTC(at least player wise).
01-04-2010 10:26 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
I do look forward to playing Belmont more than any other ASUN team. I still look forward to playing App, UTC, and CofC more though.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2010 10:28 PM by ETSUfan1.)
01-04-2010 10:27 PM
Advertisement

Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
For me it's Belmont and DAVID lipscomb....but I have my own reasons.
01-04-2010 10:34 PM
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
The big boys very seldom go play at the Mid Major's place.. I give Roy Williams credit for going to Charleston.. bet he won't go back..

I'm watching Miss State at Western Ky.. Western leading by 11..
Wimp Sanderson just said there are no Mid Majors when you go play at
their place.. home court is such a huge advantage.. he said everybody has good players now because of scholorship limits.. Wimp says when you get the home crowd behind them, anybody can beat you on a given night.

That's why they don't go play on the mid major's court very often..
01-04-2010 10:41 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
I think, I don't know, but I THINK these factors could be at play when ETSU plays a SoCon foe-

A- The coaches want it a bit more. We've had one assistant actually post on the boards in the past. They obviously read it as a gauge, Bartow was even quoted in an article about how he felt the A-Sun and SoCon were comparable.

Does that mean he puts in more preparation than his opponent, who may feel ETSU is, after all, a school that has dropped down to a lesser league and therefore is inferior?

B- Might that not pass down to the players?

I don't know, but when you're looking at how ETSU had a good record against SoCon foes out of conference and a lousy record against other out of conference foes it is a theory that fits the facts.
01-04-2010 10:45 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
(01-04-2010 10:45 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  I don't know, but when you're looking at how ETSU had a good record against SoCon foes out of conference and a lousy record against other out of conference foes it is a theory that fits the facts.

Or just ETSU is better.

Occam's razor.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2010 10:59 PM by ETSUfan1.)
01-04-2010 10:59 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
So I'll give a different perspective: ETSU beat Charleston; Charleston beat UNC. Don't you think this might help our RPI a bit later down the road?

Regardless of whether Charleston is better now, or we're not as good, or whatever: We still beat a team that beat UNC, and my bet is that UNC will get a pretty decent seed come NCAA time. The Charleston win was a damn good one.
01-04-2010 11:16 PM
Advertisement

Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
It means the Western Carolina/College of Charelston battle for the SoCon is going to be a good one.

And maybe a few others too.
01-04-2010 11:25 PM
youngbuc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, USC Cocks
UNC played there cause Roy Williams has a house in Charleston. From thestate.com

...Williams has a beach home just north of the city in the Wild Dunes resort and, with the university on winter break, brought the Tar Heels in on Saturday night with the team staying at the swanky Charleston Place hotel...

I'm sure the players have been enjoying themselves in Charleston the past few nights, I know I would have, looks like it caught up to them though
01-05-2010 03:53 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
http://www.cofcsports.com/SportSelect.db...PSID=64091

Video of the fine event.

By the way who was it that used to argue to me that when Curry left Davidson the SoCon would fall off into the forgotten depths of the A-sun? I believe it was GobucsGo if memory serves correct. With College of Charleston knocking off number 9 UNC and Western Carolina getting top 25 votes....I think it's safe to say that Goldfingers assesment of the SoCon was correct. Which shouldn't be all that surprising. I've only spent twenty or so years following the conference. Davidson was not a fluke. The Southern Conference has a long history of making the national scene.
01-05-2010 06:37 AM
Bennett42 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU/TTU
ESPN said at the end of the game it was a 2 for 1. That is a great deal for C of C.
01-05-2010 08:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.