Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Speaking of coaching changes
Bookmark and Share
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
Speaking of coaching changes
If anybody cares, there is some smoke coming out of Champaign that Ron Zook may not survive. Guenther was on board with keeping him virtually all year but the natives are restless and it sounds like he is now in fact going to at least consider removing Zook.

I was hearing all year long that Zook was safe regardless of what happened this year, but I think at 3-9 in a guy's 5th year Guenther may be realizing that something major needs to happen. The plan was originally for he and Zook to go after upgrades at the coordinator spots but I think he is realizing that if Zook's job was going to be on the line next year that wasn't going to be a very successful endeavor.

Zook may keep his job, but it's not nearly as certain as many were made to believe during the year given the way UI imploded.
12-10-2009 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
RE: Speaking of coaching changes
That would not be good for the recruits they have already. They already lost c.j fiedoriweiz (way off on the spelling) and corey cooper is a very soft verbal. Would not be good for the class they have and could be a HUGE opportunity for Kill to get on some of those 3Stars in IL that they have verbals from.
12-10-2009 08:20 PM
rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: We Are Huskies
(12-10-2009 08:20 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  That would not be good for the recruits they have already. They already lost c.j fiedoriweiz (way off on the spelling) and corey cooper is a very soft verbal. Would not be good for the class they have and could be a HUGE opportunity for Kill to get on some of those 3Stars in IL that they have verbals from.

It would be better for Kill and NIU if Zook gets fired next year. We will a full 25+ man class to fill then and could take on any Illini decommits. This year, there's not too much leeway. Illinois doesn't have many commitments anyways right now.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2009 08:57 PM by rabidawg900.)
12-10-2009 08:49 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Guenther is half the football problem at Champaign. And that's straight from the mouths of a fair number of rather influential UI athletic alumni. Maybe it's time to UI to clean house at Beilfeldt, Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium. No place to go but up.
12-10-2009 11:45 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
(12-10-2009 11:45 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Guenther is half the football problem at Champaign. And that's straight from the mouths of a fair number of rather influential UI athletic alumni. Maybe it's time to UI to clean house at Beilfeldt, Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium. No place to go but up.

I think Guenther is too emotionally involved in the football program, being a former Illinois player. He seems to hire coaches that do fine in everything but football; most of the Olympic sports are good and basketball has been very, very good during his tenure as AD. I think he can look more objectively at the other sports.

I don't think they need to clean house necessarily (the athletic department, as a whole, is run pretty well), but I don't disagree that it might not be a bad idea to have some other input into a new football coach (if that is the direction he decides to go). His "one man search committee" approach hasn't worked.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2009 11:58 PM by UIHuskie.)
12-10-2009 11:54 PM
Advertisement

rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2009 02:12 AM by rabidawg900.)
12-11-2009 02:11 AM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
Might be able to pick up a few of the transfers too.
12-11-2009 09:50 AM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(12-10-2009 08:49 PM)rabidawg900 Wrote:  
(12-10-2009 08:20 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  That would not be good for the recruits they have already. They already lost c.j fiedoriweiz (way off on the spelling) and corey cooper is a very soft verbal. Would not be good for the class they have and could be a HUGE opportunity for Kill to get on some of those 3Stars in IL that they have verbals from.

It would be better for Kill and NIU if Zook gets fired next year. We will a full 25+ man class to fill then and could take on any Illini decommits. This year, there's not too much leeway. Illinois doesn't have many commitments anyways right now.

:iagree: Recall that is how NIU backed into Ryan Diem.
12-11-2009 10:04 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
They already have two guys that were highly recruited in 08 that told the school they are transferring. Too bad they aren't from IL. Here are their profiles.

http://northernillinois.scout.com/a.z?s=...id=3008422
http://northernillinois.scout.com/a.z?s=...id=2897950
12-11-2009 03:17 PM
Advertisement

rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

Zook stays, 4 assistants axed, 2 demoted

http://www.illinihq.com/news/football/20...ts_removed
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2009 05:28 PM by rabidawg900.)
12-11-2009 05:23 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
If Zook goes next year, expect Kill to be on Illinois's short list of replacements
12-14-2009 11:59 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
With the hiring of Paul Petrino as OC means they are changing from spread to more of a pro set. The spread has reached its zenith in popularity, the defenses have caught up. It is not "new" any longer.
12-17-2009 09:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.