Cal1362 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
DonatorsDonators
Another Nice Mardy Article
Quote:College
Gilyard nothing shy of 'brilliant'
By Paul Dehner Jr., CNATI.com Posted December 5, 2009 3:36 PM ET

PITTSBURGH - Down 31-10 and on the verge of his team fading quietly into a series of national I-told-you-sos, Mardy Gilyard prepared to walk out to his spot on the kickoff return team before he was stopped by a teammate.

"He ran over and said, 'Hey Mardy, you need to turn it up another notch; we need this we need this," Gilyard recalled.

Two more defensive players followed requesting a spark, as well.

Eventually, Brian Kelly made his way over to the senior receiver.

"He said, 'We need something,'" Gilyard said.

Right then, Gilyard gave them something, alright: Hope.

It came in the form of a 99-yard kickoff return where the senior switched from bottled up to breaking free with one change of direction near the Pittsburgh sideline.

The move was one of many during a day where he accounted for 381 total yards (118 receiving, 263 returning) along with two touchdowns. But his ability to deliver the big play at the exact moment when nothing less would suffice changed the course of the afternoon from embarrassing to incredbile.

"Mardy Gilyard was absolutely brilliant today on special teams," Kelly said. "It got us back in the game. Then just being able to keep playing at that point, I felt, OK that we could win this football game. The key was Mardy's return."

The hope was evident in Kelly's mind, but Gilyard drew it from Pittsburgh's reaction.

"I saw a couple guys on Pitt sideline doing a little arguing here, arguing there," Gilyard said. "I said, 'They are starting to nit-pick at each other, we are about to have them.'"

Almost as remarkable as his third kick return for a touchdown this season was the fact Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt and the Panthers special teams continued to kick to him. It allowed Gilyard to return a short kick deep into Pitt territory in the fourth quarter and nearly break another one prior to the final drive. Still, he set Tony Pike and the offense up at their own 39.

It conjured up memories of the game against Oklahoma last season for Gilyard. That day he finished with a 49.6 average on five returns, including one for a touchdown. Gilyard says the OU kicker last year claimed he was trying to kick it away from him, but couldn't do it. Gilyard couldn't explain what was going on Saturday expect to say he was surprised.

"They just kept kicking to me," he said. "I don't know what their scheme was, but they just kept kicking it to me."

Those weren't the only times on Saturday Gilyard played the role of savior. While Pike was in the midst of his funk in the third quarter, he lofted a pass behind Gilyard and toward the center of the field. Gilyard adjusted in the air and plugged his foot in the ground just as he did on the kickoff return. And he was gone. This time 68 yards for a touchdown to pull UC within one score.

"Mardy, like he has done so many times since he has been here, ignited the team," Pike said.

So, when UC was forced to convert a two-point conversion to tie the game, there was little doubt where Kelly wanted to go. The Bearcats ran a set that put a linebacker across from Gilyard. The senior took two steps and, once again, planted his foot in the turf. The Pitt backer was toast.

As for an explanation of how Gilyard produces those electric moments when most needed, he could only say, "God is good."

Without doubt, on Saturday, he made everyone on the UC sideline believe.

Gilyard nothing shy of 'brilliant' - CNati Sports

12-06-2009 02:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.