Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The "look how far we've come" angle maybe is starting to get overstated...
Bookmark and Share
BearcatShane09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
The "look how far we've come" angle maybe is starting to get overstated...
BUT, in 2006 we were happy we made it back to a bowl game so quickly in our second year in a BCS Conference. The International Bowl. In 2009 we're pretty upset we have to SETTLE for the Sugar Bowl.

12-06-2009 01:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows
RE: The "look how far we've come" angle maybe is starting to get overstated...
I'm of the opinion that "look how far we've come" is still good, because... really... "look how far we've come".

12-0, no one expected it; and we're still trying to teach people how far UC football has come. The rankings have reflected it all season. Being unranked, and moving to the top five. this season has been vindication of the "look how far we've come" phrase.

Keep saying it until it is recognized.

12-06-2009 02:40 AM
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators
I think any disappointment is because the team went undefeated and how many times does that happen? When is our next shot at a national title? Hopefully soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

12-06-2009 08:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
You're wrong, this is not being overstated at all. 6 years ago we were a 2nd tier non-BCS program in C-USA, with no real television coverage, no Top 25 rankings, and an afterthought not only nationally, but in Ohio, having to settle for 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 deals, and having subpar facilities, and being happy to average 20,000 people were game, sometimes having under 20,000 for a game, and average recruiting. 6 years later, we have won back-to-back outright Big East titles, titles on par with the SEC or Big Ten or Pac-10 in regards to sending you to a BCS bowl, we're a national power, 3 straight years in the Top 25, we're actually making case to consistently compete with Ohio State for recruits (something people like Mays and Herbstreit hate), we're getting home and home with quality BCS programs like Virginia Tech, NC State, Purdue, Oklahoma, Oregon State, we have very good facilities, and now we're going to upgrade them to compete with the big boys, we're in the national title hunt, getting very good recruits, I mean, who is this being overstated? Cincinnati has beaten as many, probably more Top 25 teams this year then they did in their last 5 years in C-USA. Our best year in the last 5 years of C-USA was 7-5, UC's worst stretch during this current run was 8-5. I mean, looking at Cincinnati now, and looking at them in 2003, I don't know how people can say it is being overstated. The last 4 years Cincinnati is 41-11, including going 11-7 vs the Top 25 during that stretch, including 7-2 vs the Top 25 during our Big East championship run, and 10-3 vs the Top 25 since entering the Top 25 a few years ago. That is a LONG way.

12-06-2009 09:06 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
All I can say is that I remember sitting in the student section on a saturday night in 1999 watching us lose to IAA Troy State where there were so few fans around me that I would have been the only one killed if someone tossed a grenade in my section and one of the vendors gave me a free whole LaRosa's pizza because there was no one around to buy them and they were going to waste. So yeah, we've come a long way.

12-06-2009 09:16 AM
Advertisement

Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(12-06-2009 09:16 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  All I can say is that I remember sitting in the student section on a saturday night in 1999 watching us lose to IAA Troy State where there were so few fans around me that I would have been the only one killed if someone tossed a grenade in my section and one of the vendors gave me a free whole LaRosa's pizza because there was no one around to buy them and they were going to waste. So yeah, we've come a long way.

I was there at that game Mr. Treehorn. I was so pissed at that result, I didn't show up for the next game...where we beat a top 5 Wisconsin and tore down the posts! We were an inconsistent team but we were far better than the teams I watched in the early 80s with my dad getting 80 pts put on them by the likes of PSU.

12-06-2009 09:35 AM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(12-06-2009 08:12 AM)Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:  I think any disappointment is because the team went undefeated and how many times does that happen? When is our next shot at a national title? Hopefully soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

You mean our first shot at an NC? if BK stays it will come sooner rather than later. Honestly, it might come next season. The big reason we started outside of the top 25 was due to our defensive losses. That won't be so severe after this season. Plus, the reason they would have left us out of next season's preseason top 25 was Pike and Gilyard leaving. That's going to be mitigated because of Collaros' performance and Hazelton and Howard (hopefully) stepping up. We won't have to convince ppl we're a top 25 team. We'll be, at the very least, a top 20 team and the climb into the top 5 will be less challenging.

12-06-2009 02:00 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMax54 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
Bearcats will be preseason top 10 next season.

12-06-2009 02:29 PM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(12-06-2009 02:29 PM)BearcatMax54 Wrote:  Bearcats will be preseason top 10 next season.

With a W in the Sugar i would be more likely to lean the top 10 but we need a Bowl W against a big time opponent. Sugar Bowl against the Gators would do just fine.

12-06-2009 02:36 PM
Slypenny Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC/UK/FSU/NKU
I remember going to the games and sitting in the end zone bleacher seats. Having kids just running up and down the bleachers and really not bothering anyone since the crowd was that small. Fast forward to now it is amazing and all we can hope is that it just keeps growing. Hopefully Kelly will stay and we keep growing but if not the next hire is as important as any. We have seen what a bad hire can do. Just look south to Louisville. But with all that, the cats need to focus on this bowl game. If it turns out to be UF then they have their work cut out for them. WVU has a great fan base, but alot of their credibility came after beating Georgia in the bowl game. I think you win a game like that and it does alot, just not for Cincy but for the Big East. Although we were still happy, Va Tech took us out of our element last year and ended on a bit of a sour note because it seemed we didn't play Bearcat football. This year let's bring it and leave everything on the field.

12-06-2009 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.