KingsportBucsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
2 more schools cancel footbal
Hofstra - which made the playoffs a couple of years ago

http://www.hofstra.edu/home/News/news_up...20309.html

Northeastern

http://www.nj.com/bridgeton/index.ssf?/b...ml&coll=10

Both because of money concerns - mark my words we will see half the number of teams there currently are in D1 by the end of this
12-03-2009 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: 2 more schools cancel footbal

Kennesaw State to Field Football, Vince Dooley Hired as Consultant

Yep...
12-03-2009 12:59 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
We already knew about Northeastern. So now a total of 3 scholarship teams have dropped football since ETSU. 17 going on 18 have added it. All 3 schools that have cut it were Northern schools that were in worse shape that we were.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2009 01:30 PM by ETSUfan1.)
12-03-2009 01:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Sounds like they love their AD as much as we do.

http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=87376&page=3

I find it funny that now both Northeastern and Hofstra fans who support dropping football are saying now they can put all their money into a successfull basketball program and possibly find a way to move up. Maybe they should see how that worked out for us.
12-03-2009 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KingsportBucsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Hofstra was a much better football team than ETSU - they made the play offs a few years back and still have 4 or 5 players in the pros
12-03-2009 01:43 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
I wonder what CAA football is going to do now that 2 of their schools have dropped the sport.
12-03-2009 01:49 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Did not Old Dominion add football just this year?
12-03-2009 02:00 PM
Buc Island Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, UNC
In my wildest dreams they would add ETSU's new football program...

They seem like Elon's kind of conference though, except with some good teams.
12-03-2009 02:01 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

(12-03-2009 01:49 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  I wonder what CAA football is going to do now that 2 of their schools have dropped the sport.

I bet they don't get kicked out and will get to stay in the CAA. Their president was probably more professional about dropping it, unlike ours. But I could be wrong.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2009 02:22 PM by Bucster.)
12-03-2009 02:21 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Or the bylaws could be different.

But I will say that on the surface I think this has the potential to be an even bigger mistake than ETSU dropping the sport because Hofstra football was better- witness the amount of pros they produced.

The way that won't work is since they're in New York, Hofstra is something of a blip on the radar screen. ETSU sports are more prominent here, simply because we don't have anything else.
12-04-2009 08:08 AM
silence dogood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: bucs
buc is right - their bylawsw are different. caa will have 10 teams for next year with odu and georgia st both coming on board in the next couple of years. so - from a conference perspective in terms of just teams - this does not hurt them. however, they certainly have to scramble to redo schedules etc and i am sure they are disappointed to lose the markets of boston and new york. it also points to a bit of the problem faced by caa teams and that is the travel involved. for a number of the teams, many of the conference road trips require a flight. very expensive. at a time when higher education is getting seeing reductions in dollars allocated in the public sector, pressure not to increase tuition or fees - makes for very tough decisions by institutional administrators. not opining as to right or wrong. dont know enough but simply ackowledge these could not have been easy decisions to make
(12-04-2009 08:08 AM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Or the bylaws could be different.

But I will say that on the surface I think this has the potential to be an even bigger mistake than ETSU dropping the sport because Hofstra football was better- witness the amount of pros they produced.

The way that won't work is since they're in New York, Hofstra is something of a blip on the radar screen. ETSU sports are more prominent here, simply because we don't have anything else.
12-04-2009 09:53 AM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Here's something to ponder.

I have noticed the majority of the schools that have dropped football over the years are from areas that politically are left of center.

See for yourself. Yes, there are exceptions (wasn't Ken Starr associated with Pepperdine?), but for the most part the universities that have dropped football are known for being politically liberal-

Scroll down to the bottom and see "Dropped Football"

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1aa.htm

Where I'm going with this, and I don't mean to upset the board Democrats, is football traditionally has been something of a "right wing" game. No, not to the extreme of NASCAR, but it is militaristic, Dave Meggyesy once said something to the effect that in a utopian society football would be obsolete, etc.

A great deal of great football coaches have been known to be conservatives. Vince Lombardi. Joe Paterno once was considered a GOP candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania. Chuck Noll was friends with Spiro Agnew (for whatever that's worth).

So, my question is if the decision to drop football at a college could often be determined not so much about money (though that's the excuse they'll give), but rather a cultural one.

And if dropping football is an indication of ETSU "turning left?"

No matter what your political affiliation is, you have to admit, in this area, promoting that belief might be the ticket to restoring football.
12-04-2009 08:56 PM
NorthEastTennesseeTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis / ETSU
(12-04-2009 08:56 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Here's something to ponder.

I have noticed the majority of the schools that have dropped football over the years are from areas that politically are left of center.

See for yourself. Yes, there are exceptions (wasn't Ken Starr associated with Pepperdine?), but for the most part the universities that have dropped football are known for being politically liberal-

Scroll down to the bottom and see "Dropped Football"

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1aa.htm

Where I'm going with this, and I don't mean to upset the board Democrats, is football traditionally has been something of a "right wing" game. No, not to the extreme of NASCAR, but it is militaristic, Dave Meggyesy once said something to the effect that in a utopian society football would be obsolete, etc.

A great deal of great football coaches have been known to be conservatives. Vince Lombardi. Joe Paterno once was considered a GOP candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania. Chuck Noll was friends with Spiro Agnew (for whatever that's worth).

So, my question is if the decision to drop football at a college could often be determined not so much about money (though that's the excuse they'll give), but rather a cultural one.

And if dropping football is an indication of ETSU "turning left?"

No matter what your political affiliation is, you have to admit, in this area, promoting that belief might be the ticket to restoring football.

Can't win an argument based on facts, so you have to manufacture politics to bolster your argument.

What's next...going to break out the rebel battle flag.....or worse.
12-05-2009 03:20 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

As a Dukes of Hazzard fan, I happen to like the rebel flag, but that's beside the point.

The facts are, and I've stated them on here, that ETSU could make $200,000 with a non-scholarship program. This is roughly based on the fact that $950,000 for tuition exceeds the $750,000 in cost for the program.

These are based on figures given to me personally from Jacksonville University.

All you have ever stated is "WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!" You have repeatedly cited unfactual information, from Memphis' won-loss record to costs for a football program.

Please, don't try to pin your sins on to me, or anyone else, for that matter.

Now, back to the question. Could the decision to drop football be part of a cultural shift at ETSU under Paul Stanton to become more leftist?
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2009 06:14 AM by PittsburghBucs.)
12-05-2009 06:12 AM
Special Teams

(12-05-2009 06:12 AM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  As a Dukes of Hazzard fan, I happen to like the rebel flag, but that's beside the point.

The facts are, and I've stated them on here, that ETSU could make $200,000 with a non-scholarship program. This is roughly based on the fact that $950,000 for tuition exceeds the $750,000 in cost for the program.

These are based on figures given to me personally from Jacksonville University.

All you have ever stated is "WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!" You have repeatedly cited unfactual information, from Memphis' won-loss record to costs for a football program.

Please, don't try to pin your sins on to me, or anyone else, for that matter.

Now, back to the question. Could the decision to drop football be part of a cultural shift at ETSU under Paul Stanton to become more leftist?

I don't have a problem with the flag, I understand it (I'm from the south)....I was just afraid you were going to show everyone where to buy hoods.

Naw....all the ultra right wingers from the tri-cities are wearing orange and attend football games on Saturdays in Knoxville (except you of course).

I guess that means east Tennessee is too conservative to have a top college basketball team like Gonzaga (since they are from a liberal Washington). I'm guessing that since USC is located in liberal California it is doomed to lose their football team soon.

Plucking unrelated facts out of the air and trying to make them support your hypothesis. Kind of reminds me of the conservative argument that HIV-Aids is God's punishment for homosexuals. Without even mentioning the fact that the lowest incidence of HIV-Aids is in the lesbian community (at least it used to be, don't know now). I didn't know the Bible condoned girl on girl action, guess I was wrong.
12-05-2009 02:45 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Anyone else have the sense that Northeast has stopped making sense all together now?
12-06-2009 01:12 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

(12-06-2009 01:12 AM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Anyone else have the sense that Northeast has stopped making sense all together now?

Ideas coming from two many angles too much for you, I'm not going to hold your hand and splanit to you Lucy.

You know I'm not the only person in east TN who thinks a football team isn't the right move now. I'm just the only one dumb enough to post on here for any lenght of time. But it is getting old.

Now continue with our regularly scheduled program: Politics
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2009 05:33 PM by NorthEastTennesseeTiger.)
12-06-2009 05:11 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

So what if you're not the only person who thinks a football team isn't the right move now? Doesn't make you right.

In fact, I think by trying to sabatoge this thread you've done everything you can to point out that cost wasn't the only reason, and perhaps not even the primary reason, football was dropped.
12-06-2009 08:12 PM
Special Teams

(12-06-2009 08:12 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  So what if you're not the only person who thinks a football team isn't the right move now? Doesn't make you right.

In fact, I think by trying to sabatoge this thread you've done everything you can to point out that cost wasn't the only reason, and perhaps not even the primary reason, football was dropped.

Doesn't make me wrong either.

You took it to politics, I just went with it.
12-06-2009 10:29 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

No. Your previous 600 posts make you wrong.
12-07-2009 02:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.