Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GMAC Bowl news
Bookmark and Share
MobileBama Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: .
GMAC Bowl news
Jerry Silverstein, GMAC Bowl President, was just on the radio. Here's a synopsis of his interview:

MAC side:
They will wait for the result of the MAC Championship game but GMAC gets first choice this year. The GMAC Bowl has a great history of QB's and they think DL will be a top draft pick and NFL star. If CMU were to lose to Ohio they could still take CMU.

At-large side:
  • Notre Dame is still a possibility but it all comes down to their decision. Not often does Mobile get the opportunity to have a shot at Notre Dame
  • All 7-5 teams must be taken over 6-6 teams. Middle Tennessee is a good possibility
  • Even though the NCAA and GMAC Bowl highly discourage this, you could see two MAC teams playing each other in Mobile due to 7 wins
  • If Nebraska beats Texas, Boise State or a WAC team would be invited. But again, it all depends on the team's decision. $$, distance and fan base all come in to play with these decisions
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2009 09:38 AM by MobileBama.)
12-03-2009 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!
RE: GMAC Bowl news
Thanks for the info!

(12-03-2009 09:36 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  They will wait for the result of the MAC Championship game but GMAC gets first choice this year. The GMAC Bowl has a great history of QB's and they think DL will be a top draft pick and NFL star. If CMU were to lose to Ohio they could still take CMU.

I think that's a formality. GMAC wants Lefevour and CMU wants to go to Mobile. Perfect match.

(12-03-2009 09:36 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  Notre Dame is still a possibility but it all comes down to their decision. Not often does Mobile get the opportunity to have a shot at Notre Dame

I'm sure they'd like 'em, but I just don't see that happening.

(12-03-2009 09:36 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  All 7-5 teams must be taken over 6-6 teams. Middle Tennessee is a good possibility

The 7-5 issue is what will keep Notre Dame out of Mobile. MTSU may not be a "sexy" matchup for CMU, but would probably create a very entertaining game.

(12-03-2009 09:36 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  Even though the NCAA and GMAC Bowl highly discourage this, you could see two MAC teams playing each other in Mobile due to 7 wins

This would s*ck six ways to Sunday, both for the teams and the bowl. I'd bet a nickel that the MAC and the bowl folks won't let that happen.

(12-03-2009 09:36 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  If Nebraska beats Texas, Boise State or a WAC team would be invited. But again, it all depends on the team's decision. $$, distance and fan base all come in to play with these decisions.

Never a dull moment, eh? Boise State vs. CMU would be a great matchup, though it's obviously unlikely.
12-03-2009 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheMACer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The MAC
Thanks for passing this along. Personally, I think that CMU going to the GMAC and Ohio going to the Pizza Bowl are the best options for both schools. The CMU fans would probably like a postseason trip out of Detroit (and I hear that the GMAC Bowl people put on a great event) and Ohio wouldn't have a horrible drive.

My one bowl surprise (unofficial of course) is that Bowling Green is planning on going to the Humanitarian Bowl. If I were them, I'd want to try to get to the International Bowl just because that's close to home (so it's easy for the fans to attend) and Toronto is a much nicer town that Boise.

Really though, it's just nice to see that five MAC teams should be bowling. None of that 10-2 MAC team can't make a bowl game stuff.
12-03-2009 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Quote:Really though, it's just nice to see that five MAC teams should be bowling. None of that 10-2 MAC team can't make a bowl game stuff.

Very true. Although we really should start winning a few of these "extra bowls" we're getting. If 5 teams go bowling, we have to go at least 2-3.

Quote:Even though the NCAA and GMAC Bowl highly discourage this, you could see two MAC teams playing each other in Mobile due to 7 wins

Never should two teams from the same conference play each other in a bowl game. ( It would be 03-yawn ) Most of a bowl game's appeal is the different, unusual conference-vs-conference matchups those bring to the table.
12-03-2009 11:08 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
If USM ends up in New Orleans, there is a good possibility Middle Tennessee will go to New Orleans and Troy will go to Mobile.
12-03-2009 02:00 PM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(12-03-2009 09:36 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  Jerry Silverstein, GMAC Bowl President, was just on the radio. Here's a synopsis of his interview:

MAC side:
They will wait for the result of the MAC Championship game but GMAC gets first choice this year. The GMAC Bowl has a great history of QB's and they think DL will be a top draft pick and NFL star. If CMU were to lose to Ohio they could still take CMU.
At-large side:
  • Notre Dame is still a possibility but it all comes down to their decision. Not often does Mobile get the opportunity to have a shot at Notre Dame
  • All 7-5 teams must be taken over 6-6 teams. Middle Tennessee is a good possibility
  • Even though the NCAA and GMAC Bowl highly discourage this, you could see two MAC teams playing each other in Mobile due to 7 wins
  • If Nebraska beats Texas, Boise State or a WAC team would be invited. But again, it all depends on the team's decision. $$, distance and fan base all come in to play with these decisions

Personally, I like hearing this because i'm pulling for us to go to the Pizza Bowl. it's a bowl a lot of Ohio fans (like me!) could go to and it should be against an opponent we'd have a good chance of beating (perhaps MTSU).
12-03-2009 02:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.