Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Economic Woes
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Economic Woes
Why the ACC, Big East, and Big XII may someday be the new MWC, Sun Belt and C-USA
http://bit.ly/3nNd7Z
10-15-2009 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
RE: Economic Woes
(10-15-2009 01:09 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Why the ACC, Big East, and Big XII may someday be the new MWC, Sun Belt and C-USA
http://bit.ly/3nNd7Z

Good read, but you are talking long term. The ACC,Big East, and Big XII won't be joining the ranks of the SBC, MWC, and CUSA any time soon.
10-15-2009 02:14 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

All depends.

Nothing will happen to impact the end of the next BCS cycle. But as the TV contracts for the ACC, Big East, Big XII, and Pac-10 start going through negotiation, I think the ugly truth will emerge that those leagues are not going to close the financial gap. That's why you have the Pac-10 commissioner talking about expansion. They need new television markets and that's why you hear the names Utah (#31 market) and Colorado (#16 Denver and #92 Colorado Springs) mentioned. They are wanting to close that gap. Of course the Pac-10 dream would be Texas (#5 DFW, #10 Houston, #37 San Antonio, #48 Austin) but that's not likely.
10-15-2009 02:50 PM
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(10-15-2009 02:50 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  All depends.

Nothing will happen to impact the end of the next BCS cycle. But as the TV contracts for the ACC, Big East, Big XII, and Pac-10 start going through negotiation, I think the ugly truth will emerge that those leagues are not going to close the financial gap. That's why you have the Pac-10 commissioner talking about expansion. They need new television markets and that's why you hear the names Utah (#31 market) and Colorado (#16 Denver and #92 Colorado Springs) mentioned. They are wanting to close that gap. Of course the Pac-10 dream would be Texas (#5 DFW, #10 Houston, #37 San Antonio, #48 Austin) but that's not likely.

Very interesting read but I have a slightly different take on the situation. While that may hold true for perhaps the Big East, there is a ton of money that flows into most of those ACC schools outside of the TV contracts.

What the SEC has done has just been innovative. They have tended to be....championship game that draws millions and now separate TV packages/networks. With the advent of all these separat networks (Fox Sports and the different regional channels), you are probably going to see these other conferences join into the game sooner rather than later. That will generate more revenue. The way it is going to be successful if a team like Va Tech breaks through and legitmately contends (or wins) the NC. A resurging Miami might do the same thing. Until someone from the ACC can legitimately step up and provide a bonafide contender, they will still lag behind, but they will do just fine.

Of the conferences mentioned, I believe the Big East is the one that is truly in danger of dropping down to us mere "mid-majors" and I believe they are a heck of lot closer to that than they are to ever fielding a true NC contender.
10-15-2009 03:29 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

The ACC will not match the SEC dollars nor will the Big XII or Pac-10. The Pac-10 is the only one of that group that would be essential to a major TV deal. The ACC doesn't deliver enough unique markets nor do they deliver the audience evidenced by the fact that 10 of the schools aren't in that rarefied air of major attendance.
10-15-2009 05:35 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Look for the Big 12 to possibly break apart or at least be discussed. Other than Nebraska nobody in the north draws more than fifty thousand to a game. This was the original problem that Arkansas,Texas,and Texas A&M had with the SWC. Texas and Oklahoma cannot carry that conference forever.
10-15-2009 09:56 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(10-15-2009 09:56 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Look for the Big 12 to possibly break apart or at least be discussed. Other than Nebraska nobody in the north draws more than fifty thousand to a game. This was the original problem that Arkansas,Texas,and Texas A&M had with the SWC. Texas and Oklahoma cannot carry that conference forever.

Except when Arkansas was there, they were still part of the CFA TV deal. The money gap at the time between SWC and SEC wasn't even remotely close to the gap today between SEC and Big XII.
10-15-2009 10:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.