Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Don't understand the lack of respect........
Bookmark and Share
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Don't understand the lack of respect........
that College Football News has for ULM. ????????????????????

#80 Troy
#81 Arkansas State
#90 muts
#96 North Texas
#98 ULL
#100 ULM
#112 FIU
#114 FAU
#120 WKU

http://cfn.scout.com/2/908155.html
10-12-2009 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Don't understand the lack of respect........
They are ranked above all 3 teams they beat. They need to beat someone above them to move up.
10-12-2009 11:30 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(10-12-2009 11:27 AM)MeanGreen61 Wrote:  that College Football News has for ULM. ????????????????????

#80 Troy
#81 Arkansas State
#90 muts
#96 North Texas
#98 ULL
#100 ULM
#112 FIU
#114 FAU
#120 WKU

ULM's composite score is 80; that's 40 D-IA's that you're better than at this time. 04-cheers

Maybe it's time we broadened our horizons with more than just the CFN's rankings.

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm
10-12-2009 12:38 PM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(10-12-2009 11:30 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  They are ranked above all 3 teams they beat. They need to beat someone above them to move up.

I hate to keep saying it...but then why are the cajuns behind 2 teams they beat?
10-12-2009 12:48 PM
untgeorge Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(10-12-2009 12:48 PM)Tuffguy21 Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 11:30 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  They are ranked above all 3 teams they beat. They need to beat someone above them to move up.

I hate to keep saying it...but then why are the cajuns behind 2 teams they beat?

Not only are we (UNT) rated above the cajuns, we haven't beaten anybody. These people are weird.
10-12-2009 02:16 PM
untgeorge Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(10-12-2009 02:16 PM)untgeorge Wrote:  

Not only are we (UNT) rated above the cajuns, we haven't beaten anybody. These people are weird.

Hey, that's a thought. Maybe if we cancelled all our remaining conf games we would finish 4th. Hmmm.
10-12-2009 02:24 PM
Advertisement

thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(10-12-2009 02:24 PM)untgeorge Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 02:16 PM)untgeorge Wrote:  

Hey, that's a thought. Maybe if we cancelled all our remaining conf games we would finish 4th. Hmmm.

Since we're here on the SBC board, away from the prying, judgmental eyes of the main Mean Green fan base... Where are you on the coaching situation, George?

I've been very surprised by some posters who've apparently given up on Dodge. I've obviously had my doubts and concerns for a while now, but given that we kept him after last year, even I'm not at a point where I think he should be let go yet.

But seeing Flyer and some of the other guys throwing in the towel on him... It caught me by surprise. I can't say I blame anyone who's fed up. What are you thinking right now?
10-12-2009 02:30 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
I don't see Dodge going anywhere until after his son graduates, and after you guys move into the new stadium.
10-12-2009 10:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
ULM being ranked so low makes sense to me. If they had beaten better teams they would deserve to be ranked much higher, but all they've done is beat a lowly FCS team, an 0-4 FAU, and a 1-4 FIU. How they play against ASU will give everyone a better understanding of where they should be in the rankings.
10-12-2009 10:53 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(10-12-2009 10:46 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  I don't see Dodge going anywhere until after his son graduates, and after you guys move into the new stadium.

Voluntarily? No, he won't leave as long as Riley is a student.

INvoluntarily? Only time will tell.
10-12-2009 11:00 PM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies
(10-12-2009 10:53 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  ULM being ranked so low makes sense to me. If they had beaten better teams they would deserve to be ranked much higher, but all they've done is beat a lowly FCS team, an 0-4 FAU, and a 1-4 FIU. How they play against ASU will give everyone a better understanding of where they should be in the rankings.

Someone gets it!
10-12-2009 11:10 PM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(10-12-2009 11:00 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 10:46 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  I don't see Dodge going anywhere until after his son graduates, and after you guys move into the new stadium.

Voluntarily? No, he won't leave as long as Riley is a student.

INvoluntarily? Only time will tell.

Involuntarily. Wasn't he "promised" that new stadium?

You guys are definitely getting better. I guess the vultures will be really circling next year. I think he'll make it.

Riley Dodge will get better with the TO's as he matures as a D-1 QB. Book it.
10-12-2009 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
There is a critical point in each program re-build where the normal course of events is to lose a bunch of close games.

How the team reacts to that is the break point. Under Joe Hollis, Arkansas State got there and the team concluded they couldn't win and gave up so a 4-7 season with four losses by a TD or less, progressed into a 1-10 season and 2-9.

Under Steve Roberts, they faced that point and won a share of the conference the next year.
10-13-2009 08:54 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(10-12-2009 11:10 PM)Cajunman02 Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 10:53 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  ULM being ranked so low makes sense to me. If they had beaten better teams they would deserve to be ranked much higher, but all they've done is beat a lowly FCS team, an 0-4 FAU, and a 1-4 FIU. How they play against ASU will give everyone a better understanding of where they should be in the rankings.

Someone gets it!

That's a lame comparison. Look at who FAU and FIU have played...Nebraska, Alabama, Wyoming (have won three straight), Rutgers, South Carolina, and Toledo. I would have expected losses, doesn't mean the F_U's are bad teams. ULM has lost to #2 Texas and Arizona State...in other words, ULM has beaten the teams it was supposed to beat and lost only to the teams it should have lost to. BTW, wasn't FAU listed as third in the pre-season SBC predictions and NOW everyone thinks they're a bad team?

This is like saying LSU should be ranked lower because they beat Vandy and ULL (you might be able to throw Washington and MissState in that list, too). We can only play the schedule we're given and those teams in the order they're listed.
10-13-2009 11:10 AM
untgeorge Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(10-12-2009 02:30 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 02:24 PM)untgeorge Wrote:  [quote='untgeorge' pid='4708387' dateline='1255374966']
[quote='Tuffguy21' pid='4708108' dateline='1255369730']

Since we're here on the SBC board, away from the prying, judgmental eyes of the main Mean Green fan base... Where are you on the coaching situation, George?

I've been very surprised by some posters who've apparently given up on Dodge. I've obviously had my doubts and concerns for a while now, but given that we kept him after last year, even I'm not at a point where I think he should be let go yet.

But seeing Flyer and some of the other guys throwing in the towel on him... It caught me by surprise. I can't say I blame anyone who's fed up. What are you thinking right now?

I was against hiring a HS coach from the beginning. UNT knows it, I lobbied our AD, Chairman of our BOR, University President, and asst AD before he was hired. So far I have seen nothing to change my mind.
He made horrible mistakes his first couple of months, some of which he now acknowledges were mistakes. First he stayed in his HS job three more weeks, which should have been prime recruiting weeks. Second he brought in a staff composed of HS coaches, most of which had never coached a minute at the college level. Third he did not look at game film before fall training, he said this was done so that everyone starts on the same page at spring training, but also meant he and his staff did not fully understand our needs in recruiting. Fourth, partly as a result of 2nd and 3rd mistakes, he focused his recruiting on players he or his assistants had played against in HS (brilliant, right?). This recruiting class has bombed and is the source of much of our problems right now.
After his 1st season he admitted he did not understand the speed of the college game. Duhh, you didn't look at film, right?
Since then he has replaced all of the HS guys except two: the OC and the WR coach. Both need to be replaced as well. The other additions have been strong and have made a major impact on defense and recruiting. Other than OC and WR, the coaching staff is in pretty good shape right now.
It is and has been my view that any new coach is entitled to 4 years to get his program rolling and much as I hate it, a HS coach is entitled to the same. So he gets another year even in my book. And in truth we are showing improvement, at times significant improvement. Each game is burdened with a significant number of mistakes in on-the-field decision making, as might be expected for a team that is living with two consecutive years of extremely poor recruiting (including the year before his predecessor was fired). Of the 66 man squad which traveled to ULL, only 6 were seniors (per the announcers, I did not count them but they were probably right). His 2nd and 3rd recruiting classes are not very well rounded but include some really good players who are making and will make contributions. Considering all this in August, I did not expect any more from our team than I have seen, so I am not as disappointed as some who somehow thought that we would magically become an 8 or more win team.
Bottom line, to me, most HCs live and die on the basis of their asst coaches, and we have strenghtened our coaching staff immeasurably. Replace the last two HS guys with assts who have as much college experience as do the other assts we have, and I can live with TD. He is sitll learning and has a ways to go, but the way is a lot easier if he has good assistants.
This is surely more than you ever wanted to know. Believe it or not, I kept it relatively short. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 11:47 AM by untgeorge.)
10-13-2009 11:46 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
George you just took a lot of space to lay out my two keys to being a college head coach.

#1. Recruiting.
#2 Understand what your weaknesses are and high people who are great at what you aren't good at. Ask them questions but mostly stay out of their way.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 01:20 PM by arkstfan.)
10-13-2009 11:56 AM
Advertisement

untgeorge Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(10-13-2009 11:56 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  George you just took a lot of space to lay out my two keys to being a college head coach.

#1. Recruiting.
#3 Understand what your weaknesses are and high people who are great at what you aren't good at. Ask them questions but mostly stay out of their way.
It takes more space to emotionally vent than to just convey logic.
10-13-2009 12:32 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(10-13-2009 11:46 AM)untgeorge Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 02:30 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 02:24 PM)untgeorge Wrote:  [quote='untgeorge' pid='4708387' dateline='1255374966']
[quote='Tuffguy21' pid='4708108' dateline='1255369730']

I was against hiring a HS coach from the beginning. UNT knows it, I lobbied our AD, Chairman of our BOR, University President, and asst AD before he was hired. So far I have seen nothing to change my mind.
He made horrible mistakes his first couple of months, some of which he now acknowledges were mistakes. First he stayed in his HS job three more weeks, which should have been prime recruiting weeks. Second he brought in a staff composed of HS coaches, most of which had never coached a minute at the college level. Third he did not look at game film before fall training, he said this was done so that everyone starts on the same page at spring training, but also meant he and his staff did not fully understand our needs in recruiting. Fourth, partly as a result of 2nd and 3rd mistakes, he focused his recruiting on players he or his assistants had played against in HS (brilliant, right?). This recruiting class has bombed and is the source of much of our problems right now.
After his 1st season he admitted he did not understand the speed of the college game. Duhh, you didn't look at film, right?
Since then he has replaced all of the HS guys except two: the OC and the WR coach. Both need to be replaced as well. The other additions have been strong and have made a major impact on defense and recruiting. Other than OC and WR, the coaching staff is in pretty good shape right now.
It is and has been my view that any new coach is entitled to 4 years to get his program rolling and much as I hate it, a HS coach is entitled to the same. So he gets another year even in my book. And in truth we are showing improvement, at times significant improvement. Each game is burdened with a significant number of mistakes in on-the-field decision making, as might be expected for a team that is living with two consecutive years of extremely poor recruiting (including the year before his predecessor was fired). Of the 66 man squad which traveled to ULL, only 6 were seniors (per the announcers, I did not count them but they were probably right). His 2nd and 3rd recruiting classes are not very well rounded but include some really good players who are making and will make contributions. Considering all this in August, I did not expect any more from our team than I have seen, so I am not as disappointed as some who somehow thought that we would magically become an 8 or more win team.
Bottom line, to me, most HCs live and die on the basis of their asst coaches, and we have strenghtened our coaching staff immeasurably. Replace the last two HS guys with assts who have as much college experience as do the other assts we have, and I can live with TD. He is sitll learning and has a ways to go, but the way is a lot easier if he has good assistants.
This is surely more than you ever wanted to know. Believe it or not, I kept it relatively short. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

Nope, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for sharing it.

I agree with almost every single word you wrote. I like you and I respect your opinion, and I always like to hear the thoughts of the guys who've been following things a lot longer than I have.
10-13-2009 02:30 PM
WKULooseCannon90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
(10-13-2009 11:46 AM)untgeorge Wrote:  I was against hiring a HS coach from the beginning. UNT knows it, I lobbied our AD, Chairman of our BOR, University President, and asst AD before he was hired. So far I have seen nothing to change my mind.

I was wondering if he was talking about OUR coach for a minute there- wanna trade? We'll take Dodge off your hands if you take LLLLLLSon!
10-13-2009 02:44 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
(10-13-2009 02:44 PM)WKULooseCannon90 Wrote:  
(10-13-2009 11:46 AM)untgeorge Wrote:  I was against hiring a HS coach from the beginning. UNT knows it, I lobbied our AD, Chairman of our BOR, University President, and asst AD before he was hired. So far I have seen nothing to change my mind.

I was wondering if he was talking about OUR coach for a minute there- wanna trade? We'll take Dodge off your hands if you take LLLLLLSon!

Sounds like an even swap. 05-stirthepot
10-13-2009 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.