Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Day at the Nip
Bookmark and Share
bcatwilly Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Day at the Nip
As a Bearcat fan now living in the WVU enemy territory of Morgantown, I left the house at 5:00 AM to make the 5 plus hour drive to Cincinnati with my 4 year old and 6 year old boys. This would be their first Bearcat game, and Mommy of course said that I was crazy for doing this.

Other than a little misty rain along the way, the drive was good. We met up at the game with other family from Ohio.

We had to purchase our obligatory white t-shirts for the whiteout, and the boys were very excited to be wearing Bearcat shirts just like their Daddy. I liked the fact that the “Next Fan In” t-shirt had the Bearcat mascot wearing a #9 jersey because Dominique Battle is one of my favorite players.

I can understand where some improvements in flow of people around the stadium, concessions and restrooms would be very good. But we planned appropriately and grabbed some food prior to kickoff when it wasn’t too bad.

Now to my thoughts on the game and atmosphere:

1. Rather than once again talk about sellout this or that, I will just say that the 33,000 fans that were there was a great crowd. However, we really could use a simple signature cheer that everyone can perform in unison, as I think people are willing to make noise but not clear on what or how sometimes. The rest of the story here will be fine with continued winning and young alumni who are in that student section.

2. Our student section is really quite impressive in their enthusiasm and noise that they create, which is great college football stuff. The sea of white in that end was awesome yesterday.

3. I was surprised at the effort by all UC fans to comply with the whiteout requirements, as it turned out really well. I imagine that they sold some new apparel that way too, as I know that my family purchased multiple shirts to comply on the way in.

4. I had not heard that Battle was out and “Bones” Barnett was starting at CB until I saw our first series on defense. This scared me some to be honest, as I love the hitting and running to the ball that Battle brings. But you really have to give “Bones” some serious props for starting his first ever college football game at CB and performing quite well overall it would appear given the game plan.

5. Our offense is a thing of beauty much of the time, and that circus catch by D.J. Woods at the Fresno State 30 yard line was HUGE and one of the better catches that I have seen in person at least.

6. Watching our defense not get off the field on 3rd down after 3rd down was frustrating to say the least, but I kept telling my Dad that it really seemed like we were focusing on taking away any big play vertical passing game more than shutting down the rushing game. And sure enough Coach Kelly confirmed this overall game plan in the post game. Whether this was brilliant given our opponent and injuries on defense or crazy and kept it too close for comfort I don’t know, but the kids including new CB Barnett seemed to execute the plan quite well. The win is all that really matters.

7. Coach Kelly is almost maniacal in his play calling at times (3rd offensive series went to traditional rushing attempts, that series late with Travis Kelce taking snaps again at QB near the 50 yard line), but you can’t argue with the offensive results overall. And until he proves otherwise his record backs it up.

8. It was really great to see a kid in Craig Carey who at one time thought he may get to play QB and has done whatever has been asked from him in terms of position make such a monster play on that INT. Those are the “Next Man In” type of stories and plays that make this Bearcat football team and program so special and fun to watch.

9. After surviving that final scary possession by Fresno State and hitting the restrooms one more time before making the long drive home, my 6 year old looked at me and said “this has been a really great day”. I couldn’t agree more.

10. I just donated $100 to the practice facilities at http://www.gobearcats.com/facilities/ind...ility.html by using some birthday money that I had not decided what to do with yet, as great times at a college football game with family and friends with a nationally ranked football team is priceless. As I understand it Mr. Sheakley’s matching will make this a $200 donation, and I can actually say that I helped to build it.

GO BEARCATS! 04-rock

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2009 08:17 AM by bcatwilly.)
09-27-2009 08:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

djaphone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Day at the Nip
very nice, glad you and the little ones had a good time!

09-27-2009 08:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Great wrapup Willy 04-bow

09-27-2009 08:43 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
Thanks for sharing your family's story. I've seen your posts here and on other boards always promoting attendance and supporting the program. Driving 5 hours with 2 small kids for a noon kickoff proves you back up your posts with your actions. UC needs more fans like bcatwilly! 04-cheers

09-27-2009 11:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.