Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gruehls Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: the good guys

DonatorsHall of Fame
RE: Jayhawk Basketball and Footballs players scuffle
sorry shane; just doubled up your thread without seeing it.

i posted this one:

Quote:Report: Kansas fights were years in the making
by FOXSports.com

Updated: September 24, 2009, 11:37 AM EDT 314 comments
Fights this week on the University of Kansas campus were the culmination of a long-simmering feud between basketball and football players according to a published report.

2009-10 preview Can't wait for the college hoops season to start? We get you ready for 2009-10 with our preseason guide HERE.
Citing sources on both teams, The Kansas City Star reported Thursday that the hostilities on Tuesday and Wednesday go back five years or longer. The situation attracted national attention when basketball starting point guard Tyshawn Taylor dislocated a finger during one of at least three incidents this week.

"It's about who's more popular on campus with the girls and stuff like that," a former basketball player told the newspaper. "It's escalated really bad now, but it's always been there."

The player indicated that some of the tensions stem from two programs battling for the limelight locally and nationally.

"I just know personally when I first got there, I just felt like the football players didn't like me," he said. "I felt like they were jealous of the attention we got, the notoriety we got."

Said a former football player: "It's a big ego thing," the former football player said. "It's like who pretty much runs the school, who's better."

Athletic Director Lew Perkins reportedly assembled the teams for a meeting to sort out what happened and to end the hostilities, which a former football player said escalated last spring when a fight at a campus bar continued at a campus dorm. The campus newspaper has reported that racial slurs have been exchanged between players on the teams.

"I am disappointed that some of our student-athletes put themselves in this position, and it's something that I am taking very seriously," Perkins said in a statement.

Coaches from both teams attended Perkins' summit, although basketball coach Bill Self hadn't yet returned from a recruiting trip.

Tuesday's fracas began because Taylor and football cornerback Anthony Davis had a disagreement about a woman, a source told the paper. A police report said the confrontation swelled into "taunting and shouting and then fighting" as about 100 people gathered.

Police were unable to identify the individuals who fought, though Taylor announced his involvement in a Facebook entry that was later removed.

"I got a dislocated finger ..from throwing a punch ...," Taylor wrote.

Taylor was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital on Tuesday night and released.

Police were called to Jayhawker Towers again Tuesday night, and another incident was reported Wednesday near "Wescoe Beach," a popular spot where many students congregate. In the latter incident, a basketball player reportedly shoved a football player down a set of stairs, triggering more fights.

After the meeting with Perkins, basketball players Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins and football captains Todd Reesing, Jake Sharp, Kerry Meier and Darrell Stuckey issued a combined statement reminding everyone that all the athletes represent the same school.

"Now we want everyone know that we have met and talked it out," the statement said. "We realize we're all Jayhawks. We're proud of what both teams have accomplished."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10118...the-making

09-25-2009 01:05 PM
gruehls Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: the good guys

DonatorsHall of Fame
oops! i missed the follow up apology story:

Quote:Kansas basketball players apologize for fight

Associated Press

Updated: September 25, 2009, 1:56 AM EDT 24 comments
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - Kansas basketball players involved in fighting with Jayhawks football players apologized Thursday, saying they embarrassed themselves and the school.

During an impromptu news conference, basketball coach Bill Self called the fighting bad for the entire university. He and a few of his players met with reporters Thursday for the first time since fighting erupted Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning at two different sites on the normally peaceful campus.

Basketball guard Tyshawn Taylor injured his finger and will be sidelined for up to a month. He was apparently one of the main instigators and posted on his Facebook page that he had injured his finger "throwing a punch."

Taylor's account also included several suggestive and vulgar passages which may have been the lyrics of rap songs. The posting was later taken down. Thursday, Taylor called his actions "stupid."

"I'm embarrassed because of the situation," he said. "It's a situation that none of us should have gotten into. We embarrassed our campus, our university, both teams, and it's just a situation that shouldn't have happened. Looking back at it, it was just really stupid. I wish I could take it back."

Self said he was stern and unyielding when he met with his team Wednesday night.

"We don't act like this," Self said. "To me, somebody asked me how did Tyshawn dislocate his thumb? My reply was: I don't care. It doesn't make any difference to me. The fact is that it happened. The reason it happened was because a really small group of individuals put selfish motives ahead of what was really important."...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10121...-for-fight

09-25-2009 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
Here's Taylor's original (actually they are pretty much recycled rap lyrics) facebook take on the situation mentioned in the other stories:

Quote: “keep my name out ya’ mouth for you get smacked in it,” [Taylor] wrote at 11:12 a.m. Tuesday, and 30 minutes later he posted, “never get outta character .. I’m always a G about it.”

About 4 p.m., Taylor posted, “(racial slur)s be muggin me ..you know I’m mugging back.”

The fight reportedly went down at 6:30 pm Tuesday. After his trip to the hospital, Taylor went back to Facebook:

“I got a dislocated finger ..from throwing a punch ..so don’t let the news paper gas yall up aite,” Taylor wrote.
Minutes earlier, around midnight, he wrote: “real (racial slur)s do real things .. point plankn.”

The Big Lead

09-25-2009 03:28 PM
bearcats23 Offline
All American

I Root For: bearcats23
(09-25-2009 03:28 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Here's Taylor's original (actually they are pretty much recycled rap lyrics) facebook take on the situation mentioned in the other stories:

Quote: “keep my name out ya’ mouth for you get smacked in it,” [Taylor] wrote at 11:12 a.m. Tuesday, and 30 minutes later he posted, “never get outta character .. I’m always a G about it.”

About 4 p.m., Taylor posted, “(racial slur)s be muggin me ..you know I’m mugging back.”

The fight reportedly went down at 6:30 pm Tuesday. After his trip to the hospital, Taylor went back to Facebook:

“I got a dislocated finger ..from throwing a punch ..so don’t let the news paper gas yall up aite,” Taylor wrote.
Minutes earlier, around midnight, he wrote: “real (racial slur)s do real things .. point plankn.”

The Big Lead

Would anyone care to translate this into english?

09-25-2009 04:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.