Bookmark and Share
DocHancock Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Favre's legacy further tarnished
This column ran yesterday on my blog, Southern Times, Girls, and Sports:

Favre’s legacy is further tarnished
August 18th, 2009

When Favre walked off the Lambeau turf in the 2008 NFC Championship game, wearing the all-too familar number 4 Packers jersey, all of us thought for certain that would be his salute to the NFL.

We all remembered what we were doing when in March of 2008, Favre announced that he would walk away from the game he loved, citing family reasons.

For me personally, I was at work preparing for the first-round game in the TranSouth tournament against Blue Mountain, sitting in the student center with other classmates wondering who would be the guy that could fill Favre’s shoes in Green Bay.

It was sort of like when Herenton left office as mayor, who ironically became mayor the same year that Favre made his debut in Green Bay and although I’m not and never will be a fan of Herenton, you had to realize that the big shoes they left for someone else to fill.

But, and this is the case with people who hold on to something too long, Favre couldn’t bring himself to be just a spectactor nor a middle-aged guy staying in shape with high schoolers in southern Mississippi.

He had to be the center of attention and what better way to do it was by playing for the New York Jets, a team that had a promising quarterback in Chad Pennington and could within the next two years compete with the Patriots for the AFC East title.

In fact, Pennington took the Jets to four postseason appearances in five seasons and was destined to be the franchise quarterback that the Jets has waited for since Joe Namath.

But it was not to be.

To make room for Favre’s return, Pennington gets released by the Jets and here’s where the story takes a turn.

You know the phrase what goes around comes around?

On the final weekend of the regular season, the Miami Dolphins, a team that finished with one win in 2007, faces the Jets in the Meadowlands and knocks out the Jets out of the playoffs, therefore giving the Dolphins their first playoff berth since 2001.

And Chad Pennington, who could have probably did the same thing in New York if he had started at quarterback in 2008, ended up sticking it to his former team and in the process, leaving Jet fans with a very sour taste in their mouths.

Instead of a franchise quarterback, they decide to take a chance on a middle-aged first-ballot Hall of Famer, who leads them to the brink of a playoff berth but in the end, falls short because of internal affairs, including supposed preferential treatment of the quarterback.

After realizing that he wouldn’t have a chance to win in New York or the strength to do it anymore, Favre decides to retire for good and then….

Then………………..

He decides to go to a team that won the NFC North, a team that had a superstar at running back, and two guys who had worked their tails off competing for starting time at quarterback.

While I never cared what Favre did or didn’t do, I feel that his constant desire to continue playing, like Herenton’s desire to run for mayor of Memphis, is driving fans crazy.

No doubt, Favre is a certain Hall-of-Famer, but his story, like Herenton’s is the classic example of holding on too long and when the shtick gets tiresome, the good things that he did are further overshadowed by his selfish desires.

Selfish desires that could screw up what could be a promising season in Minnesota.

Just ask the Jets.
08-19-2009 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
RE: Favre's legacy further tarnished
Hater
08-19-2009 02:16 PM
Hernando Offline
Jackie Fargo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-19-2009 01:50 PM)DocHancock Wrote:  This column ran yesterday on my blog, Southern Times, Girls, and Sports:

Who are you? Some kid with a computer or do you actually know something?
08-19-2009 02:41 PM
Advertisement

homefry20 Offline
Pay Me at This Window

I Root For: Rationality
The man led the NFL last season in receptions. I dont shiv a git if your 85, if you can still produce then keep playing. Until he has a dismal year then I dont understand all the hate. The Jets were awful last season with or without him and the Vikings are better but still not nearly Super Bowl ready with or without Favre.
08-19-2009 04:49 PM
olegus Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
For 25 mil over the next two years , you can tarnish my legacy any time you wish
08-19-2009 05:23 PM
Advertisement

georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(08-19-2009 05:23 PM)olegus Wrote:  For 25 mil over the next two years , you can tarnish my legacy any time you wish

Exactly. His inheritors can deal with the legacy.
08-19-2009 07:20 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I Root For: Memphis
tell ya like I have told the few viking fans in tipton county did you really think Sage Rosenfels is the awnser
08-19-2009 10:02 PM
Advertisement

TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

DonatorsDonators
As much as I liked Favre prior to 2008, I am just flat-out sick of him now.

Brett, know when to say when!

You left the party and went home a long time ago, but you keep coming back! You've worked hard for what you've earned. Now take a well-deserved rest and enjoy all the accolades.

Just don't get any ideas of hooking up with teenagers away from home. 03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2009 12:44 PM by TigerTitan.)
08-19-2009 10:10 PM
BARTLETTTIGER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers/Cards
(08-19-2009 01:50 PM)DocHancock Wrote:  This column ran yesterday on my blog, Southern Times, Girls, and Sports:

Favre’s legacy is further tarnished
August 18th, 2009

When Favre walked off the Lambeau turf in the 2008 NFC Championship game, wearing the all-too familar number 4 Packers jersey, all of us thought for certain that would be his salute to the NFL.

We all remembered what we were doing when in March of 2008, Favre announced that he would walk away from the game he loved, citing family reasons.

For me personally, I was at work preparing for the first-round game in the TranSouth tournament against Blue Mountain, sitting in the student center with other classmates wondering who would be the guy that could fill Favre’s shoes in Green Bay.

It was sort of like when Herenton left office as mayor, who ironically became mayor the same year that Favre made his debut in Green Bay and although I’m not and never will be a fan of Herenton, you had to realize that the big shoes they left for someone else to fill.

But, and this is the case with people who hold on to something too long, Favre couldn’t bring himself to be just a spectactor nor a middle-aged guy staying in shape with high schoolers in southern Mississippi.

He had to be the center of attention and what better way to do it was by playing for the New York Jets, a team that had a promising quarterback in Chad Pennington and could within the next two years compete with the Patriots for the AFC East title.

In fact, Pennington took the Jets to four postseason appearances in five seasons and was destined to be the franchise quarterback that the Jets has waited for since Joe Namath.

But it was not to be.

To make room for Favre’s return, Pennington gets released by the Jets and here’s where the story takes a turn.

You know the phrase what goes around comes around?

On the final weekend of the regular season, the Miami Dolphins, a team that finished with one win in 2007, faces the Jets in the Meadowlands and knocks out the Jets out of the playoffs, therefore giving the Dolphins their first playoff berth since 2001.

And Chad Pennington, who could have probably did the same thing in New York if he had started at quarterback in 2008, ended up sticking it to his former team and in the process, leaving Jet fans with a very sour taste in their mouths.

Instead of a franchise quarterback, they decide to take a chance on a middle-aged first-ballot Hall of Famer, who leads them to the brink of a playoff berth but in the end, falls short because of internal affairs, including supposed preferential treatment of the quarterback.

After realizing that he wouldn’t have a chance to win in New York or the strength to do it anymore, Favre decides to retire for good and then….

Then………………..

He decides to go to a team that won the NFC North, a team that had a superstar at running back, and two guys who had worked their tails off competing for starting time at quarterback.

While I never cared what Favre did or didn’t do, I feel that his constant desire to continue playing, like Herenton’s desire to run for mayor of Memphis, is driving fans crazy.

No doubt, Favre is a certain Hall-of-Famer, but his story, like Herenton’s is the classic example of holding on too long and when the shtick gets tiresome, the good things that he did are further overshadowed by his selfish desires.

Selfish desires that could screw up what could be a promising season in Minnesota.

Just ask the Jets.
Do you think that Brett Favre cares about his legacy in any way or manner? He wants to go paid and beat the Green Bay Pakcers, I do not think Favre really has any other goals besides that and winning another Super Bowl. He will be one of the greatest quarterbacks when he finally retires.
08-20-2009 10:22 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(08-20-2009 10:22 PM)BARTLETTTIGER Wrote:  He will be one of the greatest quarterbacks when he finally retires.

Pretty well sums it up.
08-21-2009 03:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.