Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Michael Heagerty, who forgot to sign his own petition, loses Syracuse Democratic line
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Michael Heagerty, who forgot to sign his own petition, loses Syracuse Democratic line
Quote:Michael Heagerty, who forgot to sign his own petition, loses Syracuse Democratic line by falling one name short
by Meghan Rubado / The Post-Standard
Thursday July 30, 2009, 5:00 AM

HeagertySyracuse Common Councilor Michael Heagerty needed 335 valid signatures on his petitions to run for re-election on the Democratic Party line, a generally routine task for any incumbent. He was mortified to find Wednesday that he ended up one signature short.

And that he forgot to sign his own petition.

The city Democratic Committee had named Heagerty its designee in the 1st District and wanted to see his name in the Democratic line Nov. 3. Instead, district voters will find that spot blank.

On Wednesday evening, a reporter broke the news to Heagerty that he didn't sign. "I didn't sign my own petition? You've got to be kidding me," he said.

The one-term incumbent will still be elsewhere on the ballot. He has the Working Families Party designation and will be listed at least on that line in the general election. He also will seek an independent party line by gathering at least 346 fresh signatures of registered voters in his district by Aug. 18, he said.

Heagerty, the owner of Eastwood's Palace Theatre and a pioneer developer in Armory Square, won the seat in 2007 after Republican incumbent Jeff DeFrancisco decided not to seek re-election.

Heagerty said he had about 20 volunteers helping him gather signatures of registered Democrats in the 1st District leading up to the July 16 deadline. But some of the helpers inadvertently ventured across district boundaries and took signatures from people who do not live in the district.

Heagerty's Republican opponent Matt Rayo challenged Heagerty's petitions, and the county Board of Elections found 64 of Heagerty's 398 signatures to be invalid - one too many to give Heagerty the Democratic line.

"In my 35 years experience, I can't remember anything being this close at the council or legislature level," said Democratic Election Commissioner Ed Ryan.

Heagerty said he's kicking himself for not gathering more valid signatures.

"We got almost 400, and we figured we were good," he said.

The incumbent said he believes voters will look down the ballot a few extra rows to find his name on Election Day.

"They're going to find me, they're going to know I'm running," Heagerty said.

In Syracuse, the Working Families Party line has always been a secondary line for candidates, said Rick Oppedisano, chairman of the local party chapter.

"If he were to run on our line alone and win, it would give us a little more validity as a party," Oppedisano said. "It would show that we have some clout."

Rayo, a recent graduate of the state University College of Environmental Science and Forestry, has the Republican, Conservative and Independence party lines.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2...ty_lo.html
08-10-2009 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Michael Heagerty, who forgot to sign his own petition, loses Syracuse Democratic line
He's a smoothy, all right.
08-10-2009 11:15 AM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only
RE: Michael Heagerty, who forgot to sign his own petition, loses Syracuse Democratic line

Sounds like your everyday, run of mill Dumb Ass Liberal to me.

And they keep saying you Liberals aren't smart ..... oh contraire mon ami.

You guys are just a bunch of freakin' Einsteins on Meth !!!!!

I love the melodic ending to this little story, it sings as sweet as Honeysuckles in your ear ...... 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

You guys sure this nut is not kin to Nancy Pelosi or Robert ?????

08-10-2009 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.