Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

My biggest problem with the healthcare backlash
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
My biggest problem with the healthcare backlash
It's a pure effort in partisanship/private industry lobbying to discredit the issue/plan/president. Right down to the latest approval polls. It's naked spending to stop progress.

If the "other side" were pushing an alternative proposal, that we could compare and contrast, then I'd respect the criticism.

Alas, that's not what politics has been in the Rove era. The Rovian model is not to propose a better solution, but to kick/scream/cheat/insinuate/yell/whatever it takes to attack/discredit your opposition.

We should be debating at least two if not 3 or 4 competing proposals, and whittling it down to the best and most fit. Instead, we just get blogs/talking heads and politicians pushing for face time instead of offering answers.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2009 02:41 PM by Artifice.)
07-24-2009 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
RE: My biggest problem with the healthcare backlash
Artifice.................

There is no problem to be fixed.
07-24-2009 03:31 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-24-2009 02:39 PM)Artifice Wrote:  It's a pure effort in partisanship/private industry lobbying to discredit the issue/plan/president. Right down to the latest approval polls. It's naked spending to stop progress.

No one has demonstrated "progress."

Aka Your "reasoning" is flawed.
07-24-2009 04:48 PM
Advertisement

TMcCarty Offline
Maximus Decimus Meridius

I Root For: UAB
Folding@NCAAbbs
While I agree the Repubs should have their own plan in the works, there is no way in hell this Democrat Congress or this Democrat President would pass Repub written legislation of this magnitude.
07-24-2009 04:57 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
The republicans clearly should have some plan on the table. And it's equally clear that what they tried to sell last year, which seemed to change daily and which McCain himself never really seemed to understand, does not fill the bill.

I personally think they should put forth a variation of the French plan. Basically take the $250 per person per month that employers spend now, and convert that into a government payment for everybody. That buys you a really crappy HMO. You can stick with that and wait in a queue when you actually get sick or injured. You can pay to get to the front of the line. You can buy supplemental insurance that gets you to the front of the line. You can exchange the federal payment for a voucher to use to purchase comprehensive insurance like we have now. Employers can pony up the difference to provide supplemental insurance or a comprhensive plan. You can combine any of these approaches with health spending accounts (which would be perpetual, instead of disappearing at the end of each year). Everybody is covered, and you have some real free market competition for health care beyond that point.

You need more tax revenues to pay for this. But you are relieving employers of the expense of their current health care plans, and in the end that gets this pretty close to revenue neutral.

I will say this in the republicans' favor. What's being proposed now is a really bad program. They don't have to have an alternative to know that this would be a huge mistake. At the same time, they really do need an alternative.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2009 09:08 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-24-2009 09:06 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Seems to me they are going to an awful lot of trouble and expence to cover 10 million people.
07-24-2009 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.