Pub.Debt =
$ 7,835,493,423,446.53

GDP =
$13,782,964,396,334.98

TotDebt-to-GDP Ratio
= 88.34984656%
PubDebt-to-GDP Ratio
= 56.84911604%

last year that number was around 40 or less, when tax receipts were rolling in in 2006 it was 30 or less. Shot up that much this fast so far.
07-24-2009 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
RE: Debt to GDP ratio: 88%
Thank the last adminsitration. And no, you don't get to spin that. You can criticize Obama's unimplemented healthcare plan all you want, but this mess is the fruit of the horrific decisions made during the last administration - by them, the Fed, and Congress.
07-24-2009 10:06 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
[Image: wapoobamabudget1.jpg]

Partisisans such as yourself can't spin that.

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/03/24/bush...-pictures/

Quote:President Bush presided over a $2.5 trillion increase in the public debt through 2008. Setting aside 2009 (for which Presidents Bush and Obama share responsibility for an additional $2.6 trillion in public debt), President Obama’s budget would add $4.9 trillion in public debt from the beginning of 2010 through 2016.

Yeah Obama, who you are parroting, isn't being truthful when he claims the current deficit is all "Bush's fault". Shamelessly, even after his Trillion Porkulus bill he pushed adding to 2009's deficit.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2009 10:15 AM by GGniner.)
07-24-2009 10:10 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
GG we were on the brink of the abyss. The guy has been in office 6 months. This coming from a guy who credited Clinton's economy was due to Reagan. It's ridiculus. Remember TARP... bailouts all of these programs were under Bush. No spin is needed. We avoided a depression. Now cue another black sky sermon.
07-24-2009 10:17 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
It's too damn bad Obama couldn't of inherited the same situation Bush inherited.
07-24-2009 10:21 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-24-2009 10:06 AM)Artifice Wrote:  Thank the last adminsitration. And no, you don't get to spin that. You can criticize Obama's unimplemented healthcare plan all you want, but this mess is the fruit of the horrific decisions made during the last administration - by them, the Fed, and Congress.

This must be more of your "debate" style. You throw out unreasearched, absurd ideas and let everyone else provide the evidence which shows you're wrong.

Frankly, people ought to be charging you tuition.
07-24-2009 10:33 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-24-2009 10:21 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  It's too damn bad Obama couldn't of inherited the same situation Bush inherited.

He did.
07-24-2009 10:34 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-24-2009 10:21 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  It's too damn bad Obama couldn't of inherited the same situation Bush inherited.

Making Bush the problem does not make Obama the solution.
This is going to get worse--a lot worse--before it gets better, unless there is a major change in direction.
Hopefully, we are seeing that change starting to come about.
07-24-2009 10:36 AM
Artifice Offline
1st String

(07-24-2009 10:36 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Agreed. But someone has to try.

Quote:This is going to get worse--a lot worse--before it gets better.

That was going to be the case no matter who took office. There is no one short of a movie or comic book character who could have fixed this mess in 6 months. And regardless of what anyone does, the economy, like your body, ultimately has to heal itself.
07-24-2009 10:39 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Here is Alaksa's recent fiscal budgets. If only the smart people in Washington were as stupid and idiotic as those hicks like Sarah Palin.

Quote:FY 2009 Operating Budget: $11,200,000,000 ($11.2B)
FY 2010 Operating Budget: $9,700,000,000 ($9.7B)

Net Cut in Operating Budget: $1,500,000,000

Total Percentage Cut in Operating Budget: 13.4%

FY 2009 Capital Budget: $2,632,000,000 (after Governor Palin vetoed $268 million)
FY 2010 Capital Budget: $1,800,000,000

Net Cut in the Capital Budget: $832,000,000

Total Percentage Cut in Capital Budget: 31.7%

Overall FY 2009 Budget: $13,832,000,000
Overall Proposed FY 2010 Budget: $11,500,000,000

Net Reduction in the Overall Budget: $2,332,000,000

Total Percentage Cut in Overall Budget: 16.8%
07-24-2009 10:48 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-24-2009 10:17 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  GG we were on the brink of the abyss. The guy has been in office 6 months. This coming from a guy who credited Clinton's economy was due to Reagan. It's ridiculus. Remember TARP... bailouts all of these programs were under Bush. No spin is needed. We avoided a depression. Now cue another black sky sermon.

which is why the FY 2009 Budget is shared by both Bush and Obama as noted, Obama added nearly a Trillion to it with Porkulus.

I agree TARP was expensive and one of those unique things, the result of decades worth of bad policy in Washington, which led to some bad things on Wall Street combined with horrible ethics by Individuals on Main Street.
07-24-2009 10:51 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-24-2009 10:39 AM)Artifice Wrote:  
That was going to be the case no matter who took office. There is no one short of a movie or comic book character who could have fixed this mess in 6 months. And regardless of what anyone does, the economy, like your body, ultimately has to heal itself.

What Obama is doing is making it harder, not easier, for the economy to heal itself.
Things will get worse, not better, because of what Obama has done.
If he continues on the same path, things will continue to get worse.
You may not agree, so just watch and see what happens.

Two questions.
1. How would you define success for Obama in terms of things like inflation, unemployment, GDP growth, market indices, etc.?
2. Where would those indicators have to go for you to admit Obama is a failure?

Then let's watch and see where they go.

I'm not willing to give Obama the benefit of the "someone has to try" argument.
Trying only counts if he's trying something that has a chance to work.
And I'm sorry, but this just doesn't.
Unfortunately, Bush left things in a state where we can't afford too many more mistakes.
And Obama is making far more than his fair share of mistakes.
07-24-2009 11:00 AM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Some points.

1. Some TARP loans have been paid back. How much as been paid back and what is outstanding?

2. The Budget just passed by Congress has a $600+ Billion "set aside" for "Health Care Reform". This money hasn't been spent. If "Health Care Reform" doesn't pass-- this money goes back into the general fund-meaning recalculation of the actual budget and actual deficit.
07-24-2009 11:57 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest

This is going to get worse--a lot worse--before it gets better, unless there is a major change in direction.
Hopefully, we are seeing that change starting to come about.

Yep...They BOTH were and are f'ups. The never ending cycle of big government leaders from BOTH gangs has lead us to this point.
07-24-2009 12:09 PM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

You ARE so absolutely KIDDING right ??????

NOT ONLY did Bush "Inherit" a Recession, he also "RECEIVED 9/11" and Bush STILL managed to keep us floating with '2' War Fronts and a TON of Added On Security in every Airport and Dock and Ship and Plane and Port and etc etc.

PLUS - - PLUS ...... Hurricane's "Katrina, Rita, and Gustav" thrown in for FUN !!!!

So this REALLY means you ARE KIDDING RIGHT ????

I mean I KNOW YOU ARE KIDDING.

WTF has your useless Messiah had to contend with other than BROKEN TELEPROMPTERS ????

OH !!!!! What a Disaster since we can't carry a single SENTENCE without one !!!!

07-24-2009 12:22 PM
Artifice Offline
1st String

(07-24-2009 11:00 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-24-2009 10:39 AM)Artifice Wrote:  

What Obama is doing is making it harder, not easier, for the economy to heal itself.
Things will get worse, not better, because of what Obama has done.
If he continues on the same path, things will continue to get worse.
You may not agree, so just watch and see what happens.

Two questions.
1. How would you define success for Obama in terms of things like inflation, unemployment, GDP growth, market indices, etc.?
2. Where would those indicators have to go for you to admit Obama is a failure?

Then let's watch and see where they go.

I'm not willing to give Obama the benefit of the "someone has to try" argument.
Trying only counts if he's trying something that has a chance to work.
And I'm sorry, but this just doesn't.
Unfortunately, Bush left things in a state where we can't afford too many more mistakes.
And Obama is making far more than his fair share of mistakes.

Let's start in reverse: First off, the phrasing of your #2 question pins me as an Obama supporter. That isn't the case. As you so clearly pointed out in your first post, recognizing that the last administration was the problem doesn't make Obama the answer. I didn't vote for him, because he never gave me enough reason to buy in, just like Kerry's "not Bush" campaign 5 years ago. This isnt a partisan issue to me because Im not partisan, I am just in favor of whatever works.

I get tired of saying that over and over. But back to your premise - your conclusion is as much guesswork as mine or the next guy's. You're a reasonably intelligent person, but that doesn't include the ability to see into the future. However, I respect your opinion even if I dsiagree with it.

Let me take your question and recast it - What I hoped to see out of McCain or Obama was to slow and then stop the downward spiral in 2009. Seeing leading economic indicators (not jobs - too much lag), moving in a opositive direction, back into the black by YE 2009 was what I hoped for/optimistically expected. I've built my short term investment strategy out of it, so I'd better hope I am right.

A word about housing starts, jobs reports, quarterly profits and other indicators - I take these #'s with a grain of salt, which is why I always discuss trends, and maybes, until we start to see definite patterns. The reason is because, for instance, someone who wants to preach a gloomy forecast can point to whichever group of numbers best suits his/her purpose. Early on in this recession, you could have pointed to measurables such as losses/loan defaults, etc. Once those begin to minimize, you can turn to a lagging indicator like jobs and use it to extend or further the recession based on whatever spin you apply. And vice versa.

The irony to me were all the hardcore partisan republicans denying the recession to their last breath until the day Obama was sworn in, and ever since that day, it's all they can talk about. Anytime you see someone arguing to such extremes, you know you have an unrealistic partisan on your hands.

Personally, I think we have a rough road ahead of us, but I am thinking we may be approaching the 2 steps forward/1 step back type of progress as the summer doldrums end in Sept. We definitely need for that to be true or we're all going to feel it.
07-24-2009 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
No, I'm really not painting you as an Obama supporter (or detractor). I know you well enough from prior posts to know that you don't fit there.

I'm seriously wondering what it will take for people to say either that Obama has succeeded or has failed. What are the benchmarks?

I see this temptation to give him some very soft targets, and then no matter what happens to say, "Oh well, at least he is trying."

I think he needs to be held accountable for some quantifiable results.

To clarify, I agree with your comment about republicans. I trust that you recognize that I'm not a Bush supporter, so that criticism doesn't fit me. I'm pretty well on record (and took a bunch of heat from republicans) that Bush lost his way.

I wish I thought the 2 steps forward, 1 step backward was where we are headed. I still think we are headed to 20-50 million unemployed with 20%-50% annual inflation, lasting for 10 years. When the global recovery starts, I expect the rest of the world to come back and us to get left behind. For the record, that would constitute massive failure for Obama IMO.

The less of Obama's domestic agenda gets passed, the less likely that doomsday scenario. We need health care reform, just as we need tax reform and a few other things. But the changes proposed by Obama represent giant steps in the wrong direction on every one of those fronts. As do the things he has done so far, and for that matter so do the precursors to those things that occurred under Bush.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2009 08:47 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-24-2009 08:46 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
One benchmark that could be used would be Obama's own. "8.5% (?) unemployment if I get my way". Um, fail.
07-24-2009 08:59 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(07-24-2009 08:59 PM)Paul M Wrote:  One benchmark that could be used would be Obama's own. "8.5% (?) unemployment if I get my way". Um, fail.

Once the MSM turns on Obama there will be some serious debate on material misrepresentations of fact he made while selling his legislative agenda.

It is just a matter of time.

He either knew, and he lied about the economic problems, and how his programs would work.

Or he had no idea of what was happening and how to solve it, so he just did what a politican does best-- throw money at the problems and "hope for the best"

Or he didn't want to do what was necessary to solve the problem then because it would cause problems later in pushing his agenda.
07-24-2009 09:55 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-24-2009 09:55 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(07-24-2009 08:59 PM)Paul M Wrote:  One benchmark that could be used would be Obama's own. "8.5% (?) unemployment if I get my way". Um, fail.

Once the MSM turns on Obama there will be some serious debate on material misrepresentations of fact he made while selling his legislative agenda.

It is just a matter of time.

He either knew, and he lied about the economic problems, and how his programs would work.

Or he had no idea of what was happening and how to solve it, so he just did what a politican does best-- throw money at the problems and "hope for the best"

Or he didn't want to do what was necessary to solve the problem then because it would cause problems later in pushing his agenda.

IF they ever do turn on him.
It's almost 30 years later, and they still haven't turned on Carter.
And goodness knows, his incompetence has been proved beyond a doubt.
07-24-2009 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.