2009 MAC Preview
07-18-2009 07:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: MAC Predictions
Why would developing AJ Hill be mentioned before returning starter Harnish?
07-18-2009 09:58 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Obviously a preview without much thought behind it, not sure why I would even make one if this was all I was going to do with it?
07-18-2009 10:19 PM
NIU2009grad Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
How can LeFevour be predicted 1st team all-MAC and Hiller the MVP? Wouldn't you figure that the league MVP would make the 1st team?
07-19-2009 04:19 PM
DontMessWithTheMeanGreen Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: North Texas
another mac preview

2009 MAC Preview + all other conferences
07-20-2009 05:17 PM
Advertisement

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Seems pretty much on target regarding assessing NIU.

Did Kill's teams at SIU focus primarily on running the football as much as did NIU last year?
Were the NIU season stats last year more a reflection of not being in a position to throw the ball well with any consistency?

How much more might we expect to open up a passing game wihout many experienced and consistent playmakers as wide receivers?

Seems I recall SIU passing the ball with ease the final two scores against NIU to seal the deal. Were we all that porous in secondary that season?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2009 05:46 PM by cyberdawg.)
07-20-2009 05:43 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(07-20-2009 05:43 PM)cyberdawg Wrote:  Seems pretty much on target regarding assessing NIU.

Did Kill's teams at SIU focus primarily on running the football as much as did NIU last year?
Were the NIU season stats last year more a reflection of not being in a position to throw the ball well with any consistency?

How much more might we expect to open up a passing game wihout many experienced and consistent playmakers as wide receivers?

Seems I recall SIU passing the ball with ease the final two scores against NIU to seal the deal. Were we all that porous in secondary that season?
SIU stats 2007
Pass yds 3300 rush yds 2900....Rush att 606 pass att 384...

Kills offense is NOT a passing offense. It is balanced and relies on a mobile running QB. When we saw his team against us or in the playoffs, they really did not have a strength or a dominating feature, such as G Wolfe or the Delaware QB Flaco....very balanced. Read this Pigskin Press
".....but the real concern is the brand of football he’s pushing. No one position stands out in Kill’s system which makes it hard to recruit,....." the writer makes a good point and that is why it is difficult to describe his offense. ..... ??? If you are a TB do you come to DeKalb??? If you are a 6'4 QB with a gun is this "O" for you??? It is tough O to define. IMO, the centerpiece is a running QB, which does not help in recruiting RBs and WRs.

07-20-2009 07:04 PM
Water Engineer

A preview from a betters perspective

2009 MAC Preview
07-21-2009 11:57 PM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think it's pretty easy to describe NIU's offense under Kill in one word - Vanilla. I prefer Novak's offense which was pound, pound, pound the ball with the run, and throw the occasional long pass. Justin Anderson would fit that offense perfectly. NIU was unique to almost all other MAC offenses under Novak, now we are pretty much the same as all the others under Kill, just less effective. We could survive last year in the MAC because we had probably the best defense. But with the expected drop off in defense due to several key graduations, I fear if there is not significant improvement in our offensive production this year, we are in for a long year. Maybe a couple of playmakers would change things, but is there one out there for this coming season? I think Harnish will need to improve substantially from last season for NIU to have any chance to compete for a MAC championship.
07-22-2009 08:21 AM
Advertisement

pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
(07-22-2009 08:21 AM)Field Turf Wrote:  I think it's pretty easy to describe NIU's offense under Kill in one word - Vanilla. I prefer Novak's offense which was pound, pound, pound the ball with the run, and throw the occasional long pass. Justin Anderson would fit that offense perfectly. NIU was unique to almost all other MAC offenses under Novak, now we are pretty much the same as all the others under Kill, just less effective. We could survive last year in the MAC because we had probably the best defense. But with the expected drop off in defense due to several key graduations, I fear if there is not significant improvement in our offensive production this year, we are in for a long year. Maybe a couple of playmakers would change things, but is there one out there for this coming season? I think Harnish will need to improve substantially from last season for NIU to have any chance to compete for a MAC championship.

+1

Never could figure why so many on this board are Harnish fans. He showed me nothing, Any long pass was always yards after the catch. Also he couldn't find that second receiver and did the happy feet run out of the pocket. That combined with the numerous called or adlibed quarterback draws made our offense watery vanilla at best. Don't think he will improve and 5-7 at best is my prediction. Also feel Kill's recruiting skills are way overrated by most on this board. Sorry but the immediate future does not bode well for Huskie football.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-22-2009 08:51 AM
Nigel Incubator-Jones Offline
All American

I Root For: Ricky Bobby
I think NIU is going to be good enough to go 7-5. The chief concerns are clear....offensive line, wide receiver and of course a rebuilding defense. But count me as somebody who is a Chandler Harnish fan. What would do wonders for his confidence and performance would be the addition of a legitimate weapon at tight end in the mold of a Brad Cieslak.
07-22-2009 08:53 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Guys.....not from NIU but saw several NIU games - wasn't Harnish a freshman last year. It is almost normal for a coach to pare down the playbook and give a young QB fewer reads to make. IMO, a mobile QB that can also throw well is one of the hardest offenses to defend.

I don't know if Harnish will develop into the "moblie QB that throws well" or not, but I would expect his decision making to be better and the playbook to be opened up more this year as opposed to last year.

Young QB's tend to make more mistakes and find secondary receivers much slower that later in their careers.

With all that said, good luck with your season (except when you play my team)
07-22-2009 12:45 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(07-22-2009 08:53 AM)Nigel Incubator-Jones Wrote:  I think NIU is going to be good enough to go 7-5. The chief concerns are clear....offensive line, wide receiver and of course a rebuilding defense. But count me as somebody who is a Chandler Harnish fan. What would do wonders for his confidence and performance would be the addition of a legitimate weapon at tight end in the mold of a Brad Cieslak.

There is no doubt about the importance of the TE position this year, I completely agree. That has to be an extremely productive position this year for NIU to have a winning record, and all by indications there are a few who have stepped up big time. I really hope Harnish's rushing attempts are kept at a reasonable level this year.

I'm not worried about the defense. Some losses but still just gobs and gobs of talent on that side of the ball and it should be one of the better defenses in the MAC again.
07-22-2009 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Water Engineer

Another preview

2009 MAC Preview
07-22-2009 09:44 PM
Water Engineer

07-23-2009 03:49 PM
Water Engineer

The 2009 MAC football preview and luncheon is July 31st!

Watch it live!
07-24-2009 06:36 PM
Water Engineer

Nice preview from a betters perspective

2009 MAC Preview
07-28-2009 03:54 AM
Advertisement

Water Engineer

Scout.com came out with theirs

2009 MAC Preview
07-31-2009 03:01 AM
Water Engineer

08-02-2009 06:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.