Bookmark and Share
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
QUESTION on Scout Board for SBC fans about La Tech and the SBC
Posted by fresnofanatic: Yesterday 4:29 PM
Re: LA Tech fears the Sun Belt
I have a few questions.

has the sunbelt ever asked la tech to be a member?

does the sunbelt "powers" want/still want la tech? (and i'm not talking about sunbelt fans in this question).

now, would you sunbelt fans like to have latech in the sunbelt now?

LINK to question:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=236...S_57501879
07-16-2009 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

RE: QUESTION on Scout Board for SBC fans about La Tech and the SBC
It humors me to see the Loser Tech fans touting the Indy Bowl numbers (42k or so), when their home attendance was around 18k.
How did they manage to 'more than' double their fanbase?
07-16-2009 11:22 AM
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(07-16-2009 10:13 AM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  Posted by fresnofanatic: Yesterday 4:29 PM
I have a few questions.

Hope not and I beleive that a school must apply for membership

does the sunbelt "powers" want/still want la tech? (and i'm not talking about sunbelt fans in this question).
Who says the "powers" ever wanted Tech back after they left ?

Sun Belt doesn't need Tech and my answer is NO
LINK to question:
07-16-2009 11:25 AM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-16-2009 10:13 AM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  Posted by fresnofanatic: Yesterday 4:29 PM
I have a few questions.

LINK to question:

Louisiana Tech made it clear they are not interested in the Sun Belt within its current configuration. Dooley has now made it public, that he does not want to be viewed on Equal Terms with any Sun Belt program.

Louisiana Tech will remain in the WAC until the next conference realignment in the hopes of being part of a more regional conference with former CUSA members. Sounds very similar to the current status of most Sun Belt programs.
07-16-2009 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(07-16-2009 11:42 AM)CajunT Wrote:  
I have a few questions.

LINK to question:

Louisiana Tech made it clear they are not interested in the Sun Belt within its current configuration. Dooley has now made it public, that he does not want to be viewed on Equal Terms with any Sun Belt program.

Louisiana Tech will remain in the WAC until the next conference realignment in the hopes of being part of a more regional conference with former CUSA members. Sounds very similar to the current status of most Sun Belt programs.

I agree with CajunT. Tech will stay with the WAC no matter how much it costs them. They have expressed (Dooley on down to the fans) that they feel they are superior to the SBC and see it as a step down in their opinion. We all know that Tech could not come into this conference and dominate (they know it as well), but being in the WAC helps them feel superior.

It makes regional sense for them to belong, I say they can stay where they are at.....enjoy those plane rides to Hawaii.
07-16-2009 12:18 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I have a few questions.

No. They were a charter member of the American South that later merged with the Sun Belt. They were on the verge of expulsion when the Sun Belt announced it was adding football because they balked at the possibility that ULM might become a member, though that membership at the time was not assured. I have significant reason to believe the administration at Tech has made informal inquiries to explore a return but a couple of key donors have threatened to punish Tech financially if they pursue that path.

I feel very confident the answer to that is no. Neither Florida member would see any benefit to another north Louisiana trip. The comments of Tech's AD/Coach have soured the relationship with ULM. Reportedly at the league meetings, the I-Bowl representative stated that the sole reason neither ULL nor ASU were invited to the I-Bowl had nothing to do with TV wanting NIU, and it was solely because Tech had declared it would go to another bowl rather than play a Sun Belt team. Finally there are still people at Middle Tenn who recall that in 2001 a deal was brokered to send Tech to New Orleans rather than Boise that would have sent Colorado State to play Fresno in San Jose, and given Boise host duties against MT in Boise. Tech vetoed that deal causing both MT and Boise to miss a bowl game. Outgoing USA AD Gottfried told me they were the most difficult school he had ever worked with and many of the improvements to the league could never have been adopted had they remained. I would not anticipate MT, ASU, ULL, ULM, USA, FAU or FIU voting in the affirmative for Tech based upon that history. Four no votes are required to block a team from expansion and I easily count seven no votes. I think it tells a bit that they potentially had Tulsa, SMU, and Rice lobbying on their behalf with C-USA and UTEP was selected despite being over 600 miles from the next closest C-USA member.

I'm sure some Sun Belt fans would like to see them back. I don't see their addition adding dollars or post-season opportunities so I can't say I'm interested.
LINK to question:
07-16-2009 12:37 PM
Advertisement

eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-16-2009 11:22 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  It humors me to see the Loser Tech fans touting the Indy Bowl numbers (42k or so), when their home attendance was around 18k.

La Tech had sold about 6,000 tickets, N Ill had sold about 500, the I Bowl had their base of about 10,000 as game day approached. They went into a panic mode and discounted the other tickets on sale in blocks that were basically dumped on businesses who gave them away.
07-16-2009 12:59 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(07-16-2009 12:59 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(07-16-2009 11:22 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  It humors me to see the Loser Tech fans touting the Indy Bowl numbers (42k or so), when their home attendance was around 18k.

La Tech had sold about 6,000 tickets, N Ill had sold about 500, the I Bowl had their base of about 10,000 as game day approached. They went into a panic mode and discounted the other tickets on sale in blocks that were basically dumped on businesses who gave them away.

In all honesty how many more tickets would of been sold had UL or stAte gone?

6K+ fir UL and 3K+ for stAte?
(basing this on solely on location to the game, not a slam on travelleing fanbase)

NI was a mistage by the Indy bowl.
07-16-2009 01:19 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I doubt the Sun Belt will ever invite La Tech to the conference until there is a major administration change. Add on top of that most of their sports aren't that great. Their women's basketball has faded back into the shadows.

I doubt the presidents in the league would allow for La Tech to come back, especially the Florida and Louisiana schools.

As a fan, I don't want La Tech in the conference. There are better options out there. I'd rather see UTSA, Texas State, Missouri State, etc. join the conference.
07-16-2009 01:54 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(07-16-2009 01:54 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  There are better options out there. I'd rather see UTSA, Texas State, Missouri State, etc. join the conference.

I'm not too sure there are BETTER options out there. (and those listed definitely aren't BETTER)

Now, I'm not too happy with them, but a FBS team is easily a better option than an FCS team (or one without a football team like UTSA).
07-16-2009 02:10 PM
AsylumGuido Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNO, NCSU

The Indy Bowl numbers really didn't have anything to do with La Tech. Our local community has always supported the Indy Bowl with outstanding attendance regardless of who was in the game.
07-16-2009 02:25 PM
Advertisement

AsylumGuido Offline
Bench Warmer

Wrong. As of December 24th Tech had sold around 11,000 tickets. Sales were brisk the final week and the walk up numbers were decent, but a little lower than normal. I am sure the economy had something to do with that. I have attended all but one of the last 20 Indy Bowls and while the crowd wasn't the largest it was still respectable.
07-16-2009 02:46 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-16-2009 02:46 PM)AsylumGuido Wrote:  

Wrong. As of December 24th Tech had sold around 11,000 tickets. Sales were brisk the final week and the walk up numbers were decent, but a little lower than normal. I am sure the economy had something to do with that. I have attended all but one of the last 20 Indy Bowls and while the crowd wasn't the largest it was still respectable.

I didnt say Tech dildnt sell 11,000 or whatever number nor did I say the attendance wasnt respectable. I said they had sold 6,000 at full price and then in step with I-Bowl officials joined in dumping the rest in bulk to businesses who gave them away. I am surprised they didnt get rid of the fulll 12,000 allotment under those circumstances.
07-16-2009 03:19 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(07-16-2009 02:25 PM)AsylumGuido Wrote:  

The Indy Bowl numbers really didn't have anything to do with La Tech. Our local community has always supported the Indy Bowl with outstanding attendance regardless of who was in the game.

True; the city of Mobile supports the GMAC Bowl regardless of who is playing and the city of El Paso supports the Sun Bowl regardless of who is playing. These bowls have good community support that turn out for the bowl not necessarily for the teams playing in the bowl.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2009 12:32 PM by ManzanoWolf.)
07-16-2009 05:54 PM
AsylumGuido Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-16-2009 03:19 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  

I didnt say Tech dildnt sell 11,000 or whatever number nor did I say the attendance wasnt respectable. I said they had sold 6,000 at full price and then in step with I-Bowl officials joined in dumping the rest in bulk to businesses who gave them away. I am surprised they didnt get rid of the fulll 12,000 allotment under those circumstances.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but there was no dumping like what you are describing. Tech had sold 11,000 of their tickets with several days left. Those were the numbers reported by Missy Setters, the Indy Bowl Executive Director and a long time acquaintance. I would have to do a little digging, but I would doubt that the remainder went before game day. Now perhaps those went at some sort of discount.

It sounds to me like you are getting a slanted story from some uninformed source.
07-17-2009 11:10 AM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-17-2009 11:10 AM)AsylumGuido Wrote:  

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but there was no dumping like what you are describing. Tech had sold 11,000 of their tickets with several days left. Those were the numbers reported by Missy Setters, the Indy Bowl Executive Director and a long time acquaintance. I would have to do a little digging, but I would doubt that the remainder went before game day. Now perhaps those went at some sort of discount.

It sounds to me like you are getting a slanted story from some uninformed source.

Nope, my information is correct. They went into the discount dumping mode (100 tix or more) about two weeks before the game. This doesnt say the tickets werent distributed, only that they were dumped in bulk to businesses who gave them away.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2009 01:45 PM by eager eagle.)
07-17-2009 01:23 PM
Advertisement

AsylumGuido Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-17-2009 01:23 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  

Nope, my information is correct. They went into the discount dumping mode (100 tix or more) about two weeks before the game. This doesnt say the tickets werent distributed, only that they were dumped in bulk to businesses who gave them away.

Are you talking about block sales at discount pricing? Heck, that happens everywhere. Companies commonly buy blocks of tickets at reduced pricing and give them to employees and such. The company I work for buys several hundred tickets every year, but I have season tickets with better seating. The way you presented it was that it had something to do with La. Tech.
07-17-2009 02:56 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-17-2009 02:56 PM)AsylumGuido Wrote:  
(07-17-2009 01:23 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  

Are you talking about block sales at discount pricing? Heck, that happens everywhere. Companies commonly buy blocks of tickets at reduced pricing and give them to employees and such. The company I work for buys several hundred tickets every year, but I have season tickets with better seating. The way you presented it was that it had something to do with La. Tech.

It DID have something to do with La Tech. La Tech, two weeks before game time, began unloading their ticket allotment in blocks of 100 or more and just before that had offered students tickets at half price. Thats how they got rid of their tickets other than the original 6,000 which is what their fan base usually buys even to home games. The I-Bowl ALSO began selling them in blocks because they could not afford half empty stadium. They didnt get any money for them but they did get more people inside to buy cokes, etc and look better on tv. If this game had proceeded as it was, very little overall ticket sales, then it would have gone belly up. They pulled out all the stops to get people into the seats.
07-17-2009 04:57 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
[/quote]It sounds to me like you are getting a slanted story from some uninformed source.[/quote]

... if you only knew who you were talking to! This guy is the king of La Tech disinformation!! (I think he gets paid to stalk Tech).
07-17-2009 07:23 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
It sounds to me like you are getting a slanted story from some uninformed source.[/quote]

... if you only knew who you were talking to! This guy is the king of La Tech disinformation!! (I think he gets paid to stalk Tech).
[/quote]

All I do is provide a hankie for you La Tex guys to remove the fog from your rose colored glasses and see your program for what it actually is. You degrade me personally in order to divert attention away from what I report.
07-18-2009 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.