Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

the dome
Bookmark and Share
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
the dome
I felt it was time that this subject got its own thread. I, for one, have always been astonished by the hate that this facility has recieved from a seemingly majority of ETSU fans over the years. I have always suspected that a lot of it comes from personal inferiorty complexes of individual fans that is brought to the forefront when upon running into opposing fanbases who seek to belittle the memorial center out of their very own personal inferiority complex that usually stems from the undeniable and yet hardly spoken truth that their alumni's facility is with out a doubt inferior to the dome. Case in point...Kennesaw State.

Despite all claims to the contrary there isn't a bad seat in the house when it comes to watching basketball. I agree it wasn't the best thing for football but basketball can be quite a sight there. You don't believe me? Go watch bucster's youtube videos of ETSU vs NC State. But even with our current fanbase numbers the dome still puts fear in the hearts of any conference foe who enters. It is without a doubt the toughest venue to play in the Atlantic Sun. It was also consistently one of the tougher venues to play in the southern conference days. Many division 1 schools would kill for our overall home record. So what is the beef with the mini-dome? Too spread out and therefor empty seats? Does that hurt the atmosphere at the carrier dome? I would have to say no.

So here it is....if you have a problem with the dome put it here because I'd like to hear about it. Because I like the dome and would rail against building something akin to what the rest of the conference has in its place.
06-08-2009 09:40 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
RE: the dome
Let's start with the Three T's, tickets, traffic and toilet paper. There are no floor level restroom facilities to speak of for fans. I think there's one men's room on the East side and one women's room, and the men's room has one urinal and one stall best I recall. Completely unacceptable for a division I facility that wants to be in C-USA.
Traffic. Getting out of that damn place is HORRIBLE. The fire marshall is right, there's not enough exits there. I think they could put more exits in the floor level without affecting the structure. That would also increase the seating capacity. Then you get to your car, where it takes longer to filter 4,000 people out of there then it does 20,000 after a Predators game in Nashville on a Friday night, and believe me, there are less ways to get out od lower broadway vs. State of Franklin.
Tickets. One ticket booth, and do they take debit cards now? If they do it's about stinking time, it's also drama getting in. An old race track promotor told me one time to never let more than 10 people be standing in line to get in, open up another line until you run out of employees, and if the boss has to take tickets to get the fannies in, then so be it.
The views. Some spots in there I agree with you, it's good to watch a game, others, not so much. The cheerleaders need to sit down while the ball is in play, after all, the students are paying for the team, so they should get to enjoy the action from the ends. The seats there are REALLY SMALL in the old football stands, nothing can be done about that really, but it still sucks. If we ever do get a new arena, I hope ETSU has sense enough to order the seats with cupholders on the back, spilled drinks suck.
Now, down to the action, as long as you're sitting inbetween the lines, you're golden. I think the seats over in section A and B are just hideous, you're completely detracted from the game going on and that sucks. It's like the 300 level seats at Thompson Boling.
On a positive note, didn't the dome go back to selling Coke? If so, hopefully in souvenir cups out of the fountain. Bottled drinks just don't stay cold and it's a weird preference, but I like to have fountain drinks over ice while watching games. (And no Fan1, it's not so I can mix drinks.)
06-08-2009 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
I personally like the Dome also. You mentioned a few flaws with ticket booths, exit doors, etc. which can and should be fixed without "tearing the dome down". The biggest problem in the current setup is that they have the students at the ends, which is by far the worst seats in the house. Back when they allowed the students and the band to sit on the bottom section of the side (currently season ticket holders), that was great and created a good atmosphere. Now they have a half empty section of season ticket holders on that side, which they could move over and fill up the other side of half empty season ticket holders. Then we would have a full section of season ticket holders, a full section of student section on the other side, and truly no bad seat in the house. Personally I think the cheerleaders should sit down throughout the game, and better yet cease to have a cheerleading team, but thats just me.

But with the right moves (more exit doors, better seating capacity, fix the holes in the roof), the dome could be good. I dont believe in tearing it down.
06-09-2009 05:37 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Also I wish they could figure a way to get the fans closer to the court and into the game more. It looks like the Dome is it for the next several years so they should make it as intimate and up-close as possible.
06-09-2009 07:13 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
I don't think the dome is all that bad for basketball. Sure, there are some not so great seats, but that is true in any arena. There are ways of making it fire marshal compliant and fan friendly. It will cost money but it won't cost as much as building an new arena.

For football it is terrible. Forget about seeing a sidelines play on your side of the field. The indoor football novelty wears off after the first game you go to. On a side note, I hear that Johnson City is putting in a bid to host the TSSAA football playoffs (along with Nashville, Knoxville, and Chatt). Anyone know if the dome plays into that bid?
06-09-2009 08:27 AM
Buc Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I would be willing to bet you my left nut that the dome has nothing to do with Johnson City's bid to host the playoffs.

ETSU used to host some kind of marching band camp, fairly regularly, that brought in hundreds of kids from all over the region to practice and perform in the dome. ETSU turned down the Band of America summer camp the year after football was dropped because rolling out the turf would send the wrong message. Imagine that, turning down revenue from prospective customers across the region because they didn't want anything related to football on campus.

Guess who heads the department that apparently oversees functions and camps on campus?
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2009 09:08 AM by Buc.)
06-09-2009 09:08 AM
Advertisement

Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I must say so far this is not at all what I expected
06-09-2009 10:33 AM
Quote this message in a reply
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

I don't think its bad for basketball, definately different but not bad.

It would be great if they could add the extra lower-level doors needed to increase seating and then get some BIG portable bleachers, like 20 or 25 rows, for the middle of the dome instead of the little wooden bleachers they have now. That might help distract from the empty seats on the other side too (why can't they just cover them up with a tarp or windscreen or sponsor banners or something!)

Could also build some suites in the top part of the dome where nobody can sit now anyway (bleeping fire marshall), that would help close the space in.

Before, I would agree with Buccaneerlover's ticket tyrade; but I think they have worked on that the last few years. All of the windows at the ticket booth were open for the games I went to, and none of the lines were that long. If it did start backing up, they directed people to the old booth thats between the dome and Brooks Gym, so obviously that one is open too. They still don't take credit cards, but I guess those little shacks dont have internet/phone lines.

They also opened a new gate on the bottom floor thats straight across the road from the parking lots. I usually try to get lower-level seats, so no more ramp for me! 02-13-banana

I guess I am in the extreme minority, but I think they could still play football in the dome. Just take out the first few rows of seats to solve the sightline problem, then put new seats in the corners along with those suites I mentioned earlier and you are ready to go.

I would much rather worry about making the dome ready for kickoff and have the basketball team out in a new arena.
06-09-2009 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
It's okay. But thats the problem, it's just okay. I love that it is unique, but it's just a weird setup. I'm with the Shadow. I wish they would double the heigth of the floor bleachers, but that would require them to spend money on adding new doors, and at this point they arent going to do it. My main gripe is the noise. Sure I have heard stories of the dome rocking, but just imagine how much louder it would be if it wasnt extremely cavernous and wide open. I remember when we used to have exhibitions in Brooks. Sure the gym sucks, but it was loud. REAL LOUD.

If we had a place that wasnt so cavernous, it would be deafining in big time last minute situations.

And it just sucks that we can only have 5,700 in there now. We will never again see anything like was seen in the glory days. This is why we need a new arena, so we could get 8,000+ fans in if we again made a run.
06-09-2009 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
Gold, you are the last person in the world I would expect to hear say the phrase "It is without a doubt the toughest venue to play in the Atlantic Sun." I`m sorry but that is nothing to write home about.

It's fairly easy, the Dome is not an arena. It is a place where fans can and do gather to watch games but it is not an arena. It is a football facility 1st and foremost and was not built with basketball in mind, thus the 3 stacks of bleachers that have to be rolled out on game day. A basketball arena is/should be surrounded and enclosed on all sides, preferably as close to the floor as possible(not 6 feet away). The dome has empty space all around the floor, and the east side stands being empty just adds to the hollow feel of the Dome. There is too much empty space, the stands go out and away instead of up and around like a basketball facility should.

My dislike of the Dome has nothing to do with being told by others, it is highlighted when I go to other arenas and see ETSU compared to them. I hate to give UTC props but IMO McKenzie arena is far superior to the Dome. Now yes the atmosphere at McKenzie was THE highlight(btw ETSU is miles away from UTC in that department and has a lot to learn) sitting basically on top the floor and feeling enclosed in the arena was a close 2nd. 6 of us went down 2 years ago and all of us left feeling like we were being cheated going to games at ETSU compared to UTC.

You may not think that there is a bad seat in the house at the Dome but trust me there is, which is one of the problem with having you stands go out and away. It's hard for me to compare seating because other than my freshman year I sat in the "student section" dodging razor wire if I sat too high up and cheerleaders if I sat too low, not to mention crappy bleachers so far from the court a paper airplane couldn't reach it (yes I know this from personal experience which is another story from another day). The seating is too far away from the court doesn't go all the way around, there is no feeling of being close to the action from the stands, there is no feeling of being close to the fans while on the court.

The difference between this
[Image: dome2.jpg]

And this
[Image: 5.jpg]

is significant both for the players and the fans.
06-09-2009 02:15 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back
(06-09-2009 02:15 PM)BucNut22 Wrote:  Gold, you are the last person in the world I would expect to hear say the phrase "It is without a doubt the toughest venue to play in the Atlantic Sun." I`m sorry but that is nothing to write home about.

I guess it's kind've like being the healthiest person in the emergency room.
06-09-2009 02:24 PM
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

(06-09-2009 02:24 PM)kevster Wrote:  
(06-09-2009 02:15 PM)BucNut22 Wrote:  Gold, you are the last person in the world I would expect to hear say the phrase "It is without a doubt the toughest venue to play in the Atlantic Sun." I`m sorry but that is nothing to write home about.

I guess it's kind've like being the healthiest person in the emergency room.
Or the smartest kid in special ed
06-09-2009 02:27 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
Wow, now that's a small court! (Don't you think it would have been better to compare a picture of the UTC arena during a basketball game?)
06-09-2009 02:32 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I guess the bottom line is that we are stuck with the Dome for the forseeable future and it looks like there is no money or no willingness to spend the money it would take to improve the seating arrangements. I suppose there are a lot worse places to play but an intimate arena is something to wish for.
06-09-2009 02:34 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

(06-09-2009 02:32 PM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  Wow, now that's a small court! (Don't you think it would have been better to compare a picture of the UTC arena during a basketball game?)
Don't you think I tried to find one? There aren't a lot of pictures of Mckenzie Arena from a birdseye view floating around. This is as close to one as I could find but it's not the best/closest example which is why I didn't use it.

[Image: 2512616142_2b7642f6c0.jpg?v=0]
06-09-2009 02:46 PM
NorthEastTennesseeTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis / ETSU

It's fairly easy, the Dome is not an arena. It is a place where fans can and do gather to watch games but it is not an arena. It is a football facility 1st and foremost and was not built with basketball in mind, thus the 3 stacks of bleachers that have to be rolled out on game day. A basketball arena is/should be surrounded and enclosed on all sides, preferably as close to the floor as possible(not 6 feet away). The dome has empty space all around the floor, and the east side stands being empty just adds to the hollow feel of the Dome. There is too much empty space, the stands go out and away instead of up and around like a basketball facility should.

My dislike of the Dome has nothing to do with being told by others, it is highlighted when I go to other arenas and see ETSU compared to them. I hate to give UTC props but IMO McKenzie arena is far superior to the Dome. Now yes the atmosphere at McKenzie was THE highlight(btw ETSU is miles away from UTC in that department and has a lot to learn) sitting basically on top the floor and feeling enclosed in the arena was a close 2nd. 6 of us went down 2 years ago and all of us left feeling like we were being cheated going to games at ETSU compared to UTC.

You may not think that there is a bad seat in the house at the Dome but trust me there is, which is one of the problem with having you stands go out and away. It's hard for me to compare seating because other than my freshman year I sat in the "student section" dodging razor wire if I sat too high up and cheerleaders if I sat too low, not to mention crappy bleachers so far from the court a paper airplane couldn't reach it (yes I know this from personal experience which is another story from another day). The seating is too far away from the court doesn't go all the way around, there is no feeling of being close to the action from the stands, there is no feeling of being close to the fans while on the court.

The difference between this
[Image: dome2.jpg]

And this
[Image: 5.jpg]

is significant both for the players and the fans.

agree
06-09-2009 02:52 PM
Advertisement

BucNut22 Offline
All American

Google images finally decided to work so I can post better comparison pictures pictures

[Image: RPLSXFVUNAMTLKM.20090302173934.jpg]

[Image: McKenzie.jpg]

[Image: utc.jpg]

[Image: mckenziearena.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2009 03:13 PM by BucNut22.)
06-09-2009 03:05 PM
bucten Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: etsu/appstate
Memorial Center is a valuble asset to the athletic department. It was built as a multi-purpose sports complex but unfortunately the powers to be hired a architect with no experience in designing sports complexes.

The university had plans for a new basketball arena and a remodeled football complex but scraped them in favor of Memorial Center. (That's a story for another day.)

The Center was poorly designed and practically nothing that was told to the coaches, media and the fans came to fruition except a building that could be used for several sports but was not good for any sport, except maybe indoor tennis.

Many, many universities have or want an multi-purpose sports practice facility. Memorial Center could be that building with renovations done by a proven sports architect. Why tear down a 7,000,000 dollar sports multi-use building but its anybodys guess what the current adminstration will do.

Memorial Center is not suitable for a D1 basketball arena, indoor track and definitely won't work for football.

Yes, the floor seats and end seats are fine for basketball and probably the next 20 rows but the other seats are just not suitable. There are plenty of top notch basketball arenas that ETSU could use as examples and please don't go to Idaho State for an example.
06-09-2009 03:15 PM
Basketball then Homework Offline
Bench Warmer

Could we do something like Ford Field did for the NCAA Championship. Raise the court a bit, put some collapsable chairs in front of the pull out stands. and do this on both sides so you can utilize the empty stands on the opp. side of the court. Get bigger stands for the ends and dig a pit for the chearleaders so they can be out of the way. or just ask them to sit down. and bash a few extra holes in the walls for exits. and put a few more restrooms on the floor (I don't mean port-a-potties).
06-09-2009 03:35 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
If theres one thing we can make happen in this thread, I hope it is getting the cheerleaders to sit down while the game is going on. It's absolutely rediculous that the first 5 rows of students can't see crap because our cheerleaders are in the way. Tammy Bartow if you read this, PLEASE tell your squad to sit the hell down, like every other NCAA team with cheerleaders on the baseline.
06-09-2009 04:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.