Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Warren confirms football helps get good recruits
Bookmark and Share
Hawkeye Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVA Wise, ETSU,
Coach Warren confirms football helps get good recruits
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/09/Sport...p?ID=68642

“The fact of life is, ETSU is a wonderful university, but it’s a regional university,” Warren said. “I’m looking for hidden gems and it’s getting harder. Kids want to go to the schools with the big names and big football programs.”

I can't help but wonder how the success at Appy State has helped other sports.....
05-03-2009 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Coach Warren confirms football helps get good recruits
He didn't confirm that ETSU football helps get good recruits
05-03-2009 11:27 AM
Quote this message in a reply
EastTennesseeState Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
An interesting article. I have to admit I didn't know a lot about the difficulties of getting good golf, track and tennis recruits.

I believe we are better off without the kid mentioned in the article from Texas. There is a lot to be said for regional universities compared to BCS schools. For the most part they have less traffic, less crime, less noise, and less stress. It's like flying into the Tri after being at the Atlanta airport--what a relief to get home.

There was a time back in the 70s when State was comtemplating a name change. Especially if a big donor stepped up. I remember an article in the student newspaper. It might have been something like Eastman U or Carter U. In more recent times Memphis State has shed their regional name and MTSU was wanting to change to UMT (University of Middle Tennessee) Not sure of that inclination at this time. For right now though, our name is not one of our problems.
05-04-2009 11:37 AM
buckybuck Offline
Banned

I Root For: etsu
DUH...read it again.."big football" He competes with USC, Duke, Wake Forest, Stanford, Tennessee, etc... NOT Georgia Southern, Furman and Appalachian State. You guys kill me with your minor league football rants. Warren raises money for a big time program, the community supports his big time program. Those who want football here should take notes (and raise big money.)
A
05-05-2009 07:56 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
There's that word community again....I can't escape it.
05-07-2009 03:41 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I congratulate Coach Warren on his fine program and support it. As far as football fund raising is concerned the school first has to have an adminstration that will ALLOW fundraising to be conducted.
05-07-2009 07:32 PM
buckybuck Offline
Banned

What..ETSU has a ball and chain on you? The football group can legally raise money for football. If the community were behind football we would have football. game. set. match.
05-08-2009 08:04 AM
bucten Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: etsu/appstate
Buc81 is dead on. There have been several groups formed to raise funds for football only. All of those groups were handicapped/interfered with by university officials. These groups finally just gave up. This is exactly what the university wanted to accomplish, kill football. These problems are well documented and have caused many alumni and businesses to quit supporting ETSU.

Coach Warren has stated on several occasions that losing football made it harder to recuit. I would bet anyone that that is true in all sports and the general student body.
05-08-2009 02:10 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back
bucky buc says "not so."
05-08-2009 03:18 PM
Advertisement

Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Well I don't know anything other then what he specifically said in the article. In the article he didn't say recruiting was harder b/c ETSU didn't have football...he said recruiting was harder b/c kids want to go to big schools with big time football programs.
05-08-2009 06:56 PM
buckybuck Offline
Banned

Coach Warren and golf supporters raise funds...the administration is kind of irrelevant to the fund raising. Football never raised funds didn't couldn't and won't. The administration may or may not be supportive but the fact is very few people give a rat's butt about it and certainly aren't going to open their wallets for second rate football. Blame whoever you want, but the facts are the facts.
05-09-2009 05:07 PM
Hawkeye Offline
Water Engineer

Everybody missed the point !

I can't help but wonder how football success at Appy State has helped other sports there .

IE: recruiting, donations

Why can't ETSU use that model for athletic success ?
05-11-2009 06:05 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Hawkeye that's your point..and it may be valid...I don't know

but it has nothing to do with what the golf coach actually said.
05-11-2009 07:33 PM
Advertisement

buckybuck Offline
Banned

His point seems pretty obvious. Minor league football isn't going to help recruiting for major league sports. Warren's statement ("big time football") is consistent with his point. I can't imagine Bartow has lost basketball players because we don't have minor league football either.
05-12-2009 07:38 AM
Hawkeye Offline
Water Engineer

Would you not agree 3 national championships, and a win over Michigan makes a “big time” name in college football.

The Michigan upset even has its own wiki page : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appala...tball_game

You don't have to be Texas or UT to make a big football name.
05-12-2009 06:08 PM
buckybuck Offline
Banned

Big time name in little league football (Division 1A) anyway.
05-13-2009 07:27 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
No I do not consider Appalachian State to big time name in college football. They've had some noteworthy sucess but when someone says big time college football....I'm sorry that's not Appalachian State. Try the SEC, Big Ten, Big Twelve, or Pac Ten. That's the big time in college football.
05-13-2009 12:20 PM
Advertisement

buc1997 Offline
Water Engineer

Some thoughts!
Minor league football? The SEC, Big12 Big10 are truly minor league. The worst NFL team in modern history last season’s Detroit Lions went 0-16 would mop up any SEC, Big12 school.
As far as ETSU golf money/supporters, as far as I know there really is really only one. He gave several million dollars to build a golf practice facility that is used by at most 12 student-athletes. What a waste of money, IMHO.
Comments by Warren show how backwards and completely out of sync ETSU is with the way modern athletic departments are operated around the county. Where else but ETSU would a golf coach be quoted in the local paper about difficulty of good recruits? Who cares it is tennis!
Since graduating from ETSU my career has taken me to North and South Carolina (both ACC & SEC country) and Georgia. At UNC, Georgia as well as Appy St. Furman and Georgia Southern all of the school’s athletic departments raise funds as a department. None of this nonsense about each coach of a particular sport having to fund raise for their own.
When Stanton finally goes away, football will return to ETSU.
05-15-2009 08:33 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Depends on who replaces him
05-15-2009 02:31 PM
bucten Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: etsu/appstate
Bucky - You want to call FCS football minor league. If thats what you think, then you just proved that the a-suck conference is most definitely the minor leagues of D1. A fact that most knowledgeable people would agree on.
05-18-2009 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.