Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama's Earmark reform? His 2009 spending bill contains 9,000 of them
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Obama's Earmark reform? His 2009 spending bill contains 9,000 of them
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics...16134.html

Mitt Romney says Obama's spending bill would stimulate the government rather than the economy.

Earmark reform? 2009 spending bill contains 9,000 of them

Quote:By William Douglas and David Lightman

WASHINGTON — During the 2008 presidential campaign, candidates Barack Obama and John McCain fought vigorously over who would be toughest on congressional earmarks.

"We need earmark reform," Obama said in September during a presidential debate in Oxford, Miss. "And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely."

President Barack Obama should prepare to carve out a lot of free time and keep the coffee hot this week as Congress prepares to unveil a $410 billion omnibus spending bill that's riddled with thousands of earmarks, despite his calls for restraint and efforts on Capitol Hill to curtail the practice.

The bill will contain about 9,000 earmarks totaling $5 billion, congressional officials say. Many of the earmarks — loosely defined as local projects inserted by members of Congress — were inserted last year as the spending bills worked their way through various committees.

So while Obama and McCain were slamming earmarks on the campaign trail, House and Senate members — Democrats and Republicans — were slapping them into spending bills.

"It will be a little embarrassing for the president if he signs a bill with that many earmarks on it," said Stan Collender, a veteran Washington budget analyst. "He'll say they're left over from the Bush years, and he as to say that next year the bill will be clean."

Experts agree that most earmarks are legitimate. Cary Leahey, senior economist with Decision Economics in New York, said the nation's economic crisis is a contributing factor to the plethora of earmarks. Lawmakers can argue that for a relatively small price they've helped boost the economy.

"One congressman's earmark is another legislative way to fix a serious problem in his district," Leahey said.

Kenneth Thomas, a lecturer in finance at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of business, agrees.

"I generally believe that the priority is getting money into the system sooner rather than later, especially if it's for projects that will use local contractors and create jobs," he said.

Still, it wasn't supposed to be this way. Earmarks have come under fire because of those that seem to provide what Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, calls "laugh lines," such as Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere" or North Dakota's Lawrence Welk Museum.

Obama pledged to take a hard hand on earmarks and warned lawmakers in a Feb. 3 letter from Budget Director Peter Orszag not to decorate the recently signed $787.2 billion stimulus bill with them.

Democrats declared the bill earmark-free. Republicans disagreed.

"While this bill does not include traditional earmarks, we should all understand that there are earmarks in this bill," said Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo. "There is $850 million ... to bail out Amtrak, a $75 million earmark for the Smithsonian, a $1 billion earmark for the 2010 census."

Democrats have been trying to revamp the earmark process for about two years. In 2007, they instituted a system that required members to explain the contents of each earmark, as well as a justification for why it was included in the legislation that way. They claimed this led to a reduction in earmarks by as much as 43 percent.
02-23-2009 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Obama's Earmark reform? His 2009 spending bill contains 9,000 of them
but.....but.....but.....I thought he said there weren't gonna be any earmarks in the bill, papa?

It's ALL pork and most of those tax benefits are going to people who get back all of their damn taxes anyway, I.e. the people that PAY no taxes.
02-23-2009 07:05 PM
Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
So where's all the change I heard about? Oh wait, all I have left from my paycheck is change.
02-23-2009 08:03 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
[Image: 51qCvxM-bPL._SX320_SY240_.jpg]

"Change? You got any change?"
02-24-2009 09:40 AM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Oink, oink,
02-24-2009 09:10 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(02-23-2009 04:34 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics...16134.html

Mitt Romney says Obama's spending bill would stimulate the government rather than the economy.

"While this bill does not include traditional earmarks, we should all understand that there are earmarks in this bill," said Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo. "There is $850 million ... to bail out Amtrak, a $75 million earmark for the Smithsonian, a $1 billion earmark for the 2010 census."

I'm confused by what Enzi is saying. What's the difference between a traditional earmark and the wacky new alternative kind?
02-24-2009 09:25 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-23-2009 04:34 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics...16134.html

WASHINGTON — During the 2008 presidential campaign, candidates Barack Obama and John McCain fought vigorously over who would be toughest on congressional earmarks.

"We need earmark reform," Obama said in September during a presidential debate in Oxford, Miss. "And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely."

President Barack Obama should prepare to carve out a lot of free time and keep the coffee hot this week as Congress prepares to unveil a $410 billion omnibus spending bill that's riddled with thousands of earmarks, despite his calls for restraint and efforts on Capitol Hill to curtail the practice.

The bill will contain about 9,000 earmarks totaling $5 billion, congressional officials say. Many of the earmarks — loosely defined as local projects inserted by members of Congress — were inserted last year as the spending bills worked their way through various committees.

So while Obama and McCain were slamming earmarks on the campaign trail, House and Senate members — Democrats and Republicans — were slapping them into spending bills.

"It will be a little embarrassing for the president if he signs a bill with that many earmarks on it," said Stan Collender, a veteran Washington budget analyst. "He'll say they're left over from the Bush years, and he as to say that next year the bill will be clean."

Experts agree that most earmarks are legitimate. Cary Leahey, senior economist with Decision Economics in New York, said the nation's economic crisis is a contributing factor to the plethora of earmarks. Lawmakers can argue that for a relatively small price they've helped boost the economy.

"One congressman's earmark is another legislative way to fix a serious problem in his district," Leahey said.

Kenneth Thomas, a lecturer in finance at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of business, agrees.

"I generally believe that the priority is getting money into the system sooner rather than later, especially if it's for projects that will use local contractors and create jobs," he said.

Still, it wasn't supposed to be this way. Earmarks have come under fire because of those that seem to provide what Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, calls "laugh lines," such as Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere" or North Dakota's Lawrence Welk Museum.

Obama pledged to take a hard hand on earmarks and warned lawmakers in a Feb. 3 letter from Budget Director Peter Orszag not to decorate the recently signed $787.2 billion stimulus bill with them.

Democrats declared the bill earmark-free. Republicans disagreed.

Democrats have been trying to revamp the earmark process for about two years. In 2007, they instituted a system that required members to explain the contents of each earmark, as well as a justification for why it was included in the legislation that way. They claimed this led to a reduction in earmarks by as much as 43 percent.
Sounds like a guy staarting his 2012 presidential campaign. 05-stirthepot
02-25-2009 03:32 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-24-2009 09:25 PM)jh Wrote:  

I'm confused by what Enzi is saying. What's the difference between a traditional earmark and the wacky new alternative kind?
Anything the republicans think is worthless is pork.
02-25-2009 03:41 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Obama said last night there was no Earmarks in his bill, this must be wrong!
02-25-2009 05:40 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(02-25-2009 03:41 AM)RobertN Wrote:  Anything the republicans think is worthless is pork.

You're as effective at conjuring up insults as Professor Chaos, AKA Butters, is of destroying the world.
02-25-2009 06:20 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

ONLY 9000 ???? !!!!!!

Bambi is slipping guys .... it should be at least 20,000 or more to even be in his ball park.

I guess he is patiently waiting until Next Months all New Sh'tulus Package to be tossed into Congress for that 'Generous 48 Hour Study' period - - after all, who couldn't read, understand, and totally digest a 10,000 Page Legal Speak Congressional Document, then be totally prepared to make a Cognitive Vote on its Deeply Fundamental Merits in 48 LONG Hours.

How 'Uncouth' of those Pesky Republicans, Independents, and Libertarians .....

02-25-2009 10:10 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Republicans have some in there as well. Including Shelby and, IIRC, Chambliss. I'm done with these f'n idiots.
02-25-2009 11:06 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
01-wingedeagle WTF?

And one watchdog group said the bill provided nearly $8 billion for more than 8,500 pet projects favored by lawmakers, including $1.7 million for a honey bee laboratory in Weslaco, Tex.; $346,000 for research on apple fire blight in Michigan and New York; and $1.5 million for work on grapes and grape products, including wine.

The bill includes $1.8 million to conduct research in Iowa on “swine odor and manure management.”

The legislation includes $173,000 for research on asparagus production in Washington State; $206,000 for wool research in Montana, Texas and Wyoming; and $209,000 for efforts to improve blueberry production in Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us/pol...spend.html
02-26-2009 08:03 AM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Mr. "There are NO Earmarks" Obama, has sponsored his own Earmark in addition to all the others in the latest Spending bill

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?do...0003061639

How long can he get away with these type of lies, where he goes out of his way to push them and create false pressumptions? I guess its alot easier when you are a Dem/lib/Messiah and the MSM that got you elected will just brush it under the rug
02-26-2009 10:51 AM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

This 'old guy' sums up the Obama Rama Phenomama in a very intelligent and articulate way .....

ENJOY the Gift of Obama from Bill the Optimist:

02-26-2009 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.