Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A.Q. KAUN: Disgraced Pakistan A-bomb scientist declared free
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
One man who should be executed. He made the world a much risker place.

Quote:By MUNIR AHMAD – 1 hour ago

ISLAMABAD (AP) — The man who made Pakistan into a nuclear power and later took responsibility for leaking atomic secrets to Iran, North Korea and Libya walked out of his home Friday after reaching a secret deal with the government that ended years of de facto house arrest.

The decision to grant freedom of movement to Abdul Qadeer Khan stirred alarm in Washington, which worries that Iran has continued to pursue nuclear arms and that Pakistan may not be able to safeguard its own arsenal in the face of rising Islamic militancy.

The White House said President Barack Obama wants assurances from Pakistan that Khan isn't involved in the activity that led to his arrest. State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid said Khan remained a "serious proliferation risk."

Asked Friday what the international community would think of his release, Khan was typically defiant.

"Are they happy with our God? Are they happy with our prophet? Are they happy with our leader? Never," he said. "I don't care about rest of the world. I care about my country. Obama cares about America, not about Pakistan or India or Afghanistan."

Khan said he had no plans to return to the nuclear field.

Khan's wife told The Associated Press that her husband would remain under some restrictions, including a gag order.

While the 72-year-old scientist is a pariah in the West, he is a national hero for his pivotal role in developing the nuclear bomb for Pakistan and was lionized by Islamists for making it the world's only Muslim nuclear power.

He was detained in December 2003, however, and admitted on television in early 2004 that he operated a network that spread nuclear weapons technology to Iran, North Korea and Libya.

Khan was immediately pardoned by former President Gen. Pervez Musharraf and placed under de facto house arrest.

Unanswered questions remain about the technology that Khan allegedly shared and with whom he shared it, and whether Pakistani authorities knew what he was doing or profited from sales.

Khan began agitating for an end to the restrictions on him after Musharraf was ousted last year. In recent months, he has been allowed to occasionally meet friends outside his house and has spoken to reporters over the phone. The Islamabad High Court announced Friday he was a "free citizen," subject to a confidential accord struck with the government.

Hours later, Khan emerged from his house in the Pakistani capital and addressed reporters face-to-face for the first time since 2004.

He indicated he would not be discussing Pakistan's secretive atomic bomb program or about who else might have been involved in leaking its technology around the world — questions that still puzzle investigators trying to establish the extent of his network's activities and whether it is still in business.

"We don't want to talk about the past things," Khan said as the guards who enforced his long isolation stood aside for a throng of TV crews and journalists.

Government prosecutor Amjad Iqbal Qureshi said the decision to loosen restrictions on Khan was the result of a compromise with Pakistani authorities and that "security measures" for Khan would remain. The government has denied that Khan was under arrest, maintaining the restrictions were to protect him and Pakistan's state secrets.

Khan hailed the order as a "good judgment."

"At least I have got my freedom. I can move around," he said.

His wife, Hendrina Khan, said the freedom was limited to the capital and that "more strings have been attached" regarding what he could say.

She said the restrictions went beyond an order issued by the same court last year barring Khan from discussing the subject of nuclear proliferation even with his relatives.

"We know it is not possible to give our version," she told the AP by telephone.

Pakistan insists its weapons are secure. However, Khan's anti-Western rhetoric feeds concern that al-Qaida and other extremist groups could seek to acquire nuclear materials from sympathizers in the country's security establishment, especially if Pakistan frays under sustained militant attack.

In telephone interviews last year, Khan backed away from his confession, complaining he had been made a scapegoat and had done nothing illegal or unauthorized.

David Albright, a proliferation expert at the Institute for Science and International Security in Washington, said Khan's attitude indicated he was still a danger.

"The only constraint I see on Khan's capability to proliferate is his age and his health," Albright said. "He may bring in others to front for him."

The failure of Pakistan and the West to prosecute him "gives a message that the big fish get away and this is not going to deter others from the path of nuclear smuggling," Albright said.

Other analysts said the move looked more like a gesture by the current pro-U.S. government to boost its flagging popularity.

"Of course, it will raise alarm bells overseas that this man is now running around," said Kamran Bokhari of Stratfor, a security think tank based in Austin, Texas.

"But he is not allowed to travel abroad, and he can only travel around country with a security detail, ostensibly for his own protection," Bokhari said.

"In reality, that security detail is there to let the West know that he is still under observation, and that there will be no return to the good old days when he was free to travel around the world (dispensing) nuclear technology," he said.

Britain's Foreign Office urged Pakistan to grant the U.N. atomic watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, direct access to Khan "in order to seek information about his nuclear proliferation activity, in particular the smuggling of secrets to Iran and North Korea."

Pakistan says it has relayed all relevant questions to Khan and provided the IAEA with his answers.

Pakistan has taken "all necessary measures to promote the goals of nonproliferation," Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said. "The so called A.Q. Khan affair is a closed chapter."
02-06-2009 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only
RE: A.Q. KAUN: Disgraced Pakistan A-bomb scientist declared free

NAAAAHHHHH .....

Iran will NEVER have "The Bomb".

We are just being scared little sheep when we worry about these Simpletons creating Nuclear Hell.

Stupid People keep focusing on a "Missile Delivery System" when these Fools will drive a Nordic Flagged Tanker up the Mississippi River with a 100 Megaton Nuke in the Hold.

It is all good though .... North Korea were Simple Idiots too (before they became a Nuclear Threat that is)

02-07-2009 09:07 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
If I ever see Kaun, I'll put a knife in his heart.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 05:40 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-08-2009 05:40 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-07-2009 09:07 AM)Tripster Wrote:  .

NAAAAHHHHH .....

We are just being scared little sheep when we worry about these Simpletons creating Nuclear Hell.

Stupid People keep focusing on a "Missile Delivery System" when these Fools will drive a Nordic Flagged Tanker up the Mississippi River with a 100 Megaton Nuke in the Hold.

It is all good though .... North Korea were Simple Idiots too (before they became a Nuclear Threat that is)

I thought this was going to be about him lending his services for free. 03-wink We gave Israel their bomb. THis is why many in the region want one. North Koreans aren't the simple idiots, you are. 05-stirthepot
02-08-2009 07:27 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(02-08-2009 07:27 PM)RobertN Wrote:  

NAAAAHHHHH .....

I thought this was going to be about him lending his services for free. 03-wink We gave Israel their bomb. THis is why many in the region want one. North Koreans aren't the simple idiots, you are. 05-stirthepot

You really do hate this country don't you.
02-08-2009 07:49 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(02-08-2009 07:27 PM)RobertN Wrote:  I thought this was going to be about him lending his services for free. 03-wink We gave Israel their bomb. THis is why many in the region want one. North Koreans aren't the simple idiots, you are. 05-stirthepot

Yet another lie by a coward and a racist.
02-08-2009 08:50 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(02-08-2009 07:49 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(02-08-2009 07:27 PM)RobertN Wrote:  

NAAAAHHHHH .....

You really do hate this country don't you.
No. I hate our foreign policy towards the world but I like the country just fine.
02-08-2009 08:58 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(02-08-2009 08:50 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(02-08-2009 07:27 PM)RobertN Wrote:  I thought this was going to be about him lending his services for free. 03-wink We gave Israel their bomb. THis is why many in the region want one. North Koreans aren't the simple idiots, you are. 05-stirthepot

Really? What did I lie about? We gave Israel at a minimum the knowledge to make the bomb if not giving them everything they need to make one. You do not think that Israel having the bomb doesn't play a significant part in the nearby countries wanting to acquire them? What is racist about that? Just because I don't think Israelies are any more special than anyone else makes me a racist?
02-08-2009 09:06 PM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
I thought they stole it from us. The USA wasn't always AIPAC's puppet.********

Upon further review here's the wiki. Funny the French were the main ones with the financing mostly coming from American Jews. Mostly doctors. Another interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_Israel

I also want to go on record that I hold no ill will towards any people or nation. I truly have no hate for anyone or any race. I think our country should focus on that sometimes we lose sight of that.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 09:58 PM by Machiavelli.)
02-08-2009 09:43 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(02-08-2009 09:43 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I thought they stole it from us. The USA wasn't always AIPAC's puppet.********

Upon further review here's the wiki. Funny the French were the main ones with the financing mostly coming from American Jews. Mostly doctors. Another interesting read.

I also want to go on record that I hold no ill will towards any people or nation. I truly have no hate for anyone or any race. I think our country should focus on that sometimes we lose sight of that.
Sorry Mach but you are to late. You are an anti-semite. 03-lmfao
02-09-2009 02:34 AM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
"Someone" would be wise to "terminate" AQ Kahn in a horrifying and public manner just to illustrate what eventually happens to individuals that sell nuclear weapons technology on the Black Market.

It might persuade others not to do it again in the future.
02-09-2009 08:29 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(02-08-2009 09:06 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(02-08-2009 08:50 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

Really? What did I lie about? We gave Israel at a minimum the knowledge to make the bomb if not giving them everything they need to make one. You do not think that Israel having the bomb doesn't play a significant part in the nearby countries wanting to acquire them? What is racist about that? Just because I don't think Israelies are any more special than anyone else makes me a racist?

As Mach - someone willing act in good faith - posts, it was the French that participated in proliferation to Israel.

As for nearby countries wanting nuclear weapons in part because Israel has them, why do you think it is only the more aggressive nations - Lybia, Iraq, Iran, Syria - that have acted to try to obtain them. Why is it that Sadaam Hussein said that he regretted invading Kuwait before he got nuclear weapons? That had absolutely nothing to do with Israel. Yes, Israeli nuclear weapons motivate them in part, but their desire to invade other countries with impunity is the primary motivation.

As for what makes you a racist, it's your body of work, you *****.

(02-08-2009 09:43 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I thought they stole it from us. The USA wasn't always AIPAC's puppet.********

I really don't doubt your intentions, Mach.

It's hardly any surprise that Jews are willing to send money to support Israel. However, please note that wikipedia says "half of which was raised by foreign Jewish donors, including many American Jews". That doesn't even mean that half of the foreign financing came from Americans, so, aside from your misreading the phrase, you are largely overstating American financing. Even if half of the foreign donors were American, then one quarter of the financing would have come from Americans, according to the article.

(02-09-2009 02:34 AM)RobertN Wrote:  Sorry Mach but you are to late. You are an anti-semite. 03-lmfao

Don't even attempt to put Mach in the same boat you are. Mach has shown the ability to reason and face up to facts and not post the same lies when challenged on them the first time - qualities that you seem incapable of.
02-09-2009 10:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.