Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston: Suburbs vs in the Loop
ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

I Root For: RICE!

The Parliament Awards
Houston: Suburbs vs in the Loop
I'm curious as to people's opinions on where to live in Houston. I just moved to Westheimer, close to the coffee shops/resale stores inside the loop, and although I love it, according to my coworkers, I'm paying as much rent as I would be paying a mortgage outside of the loop.

I like the idea of buying a house sometime in the next few years (baby steps: gradating from Rice again would be necessary) but if I do, I'm not sure where I'd want to live. In fact, the whole concept seems daunting.

Opinions?
01-25-2009 10:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Houston: Suburbs vs in the Loop
I live in a large exurb up 290 formerly known as Waterloo. The commute to downtown Houston is hell, but the QoL is pretty high what with access to hills, and lakes and what not. Unfortunately the housing prices out here are about the same as in Houston proper. 05-stirthepot

There are actually some really great neighborhoods inside the loop that are still quite affordable like west of the heights in the TC Jester area (<$250k... about $1200/month on a 30y/20% down mortgage). Might require a little TLC (pulling carpet, repainting, etc).
01-25-2009 11:58 AM
ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

The Parliament Awards
(01-25-2009 11:58 AM)texd Wrote:  I live in a large exurb up 290 formerly known as Waterloo. The commute to downtown Houston is hell, but the QoL is pretty high what with access to hills, and lakes and what not. Unfortunately the housing prices out here are about the same as in Houston proper. 05-stirthepot

There are actually some really great neighborhoods inside the loop that are still quite affordable like west of the heights in the TC Jester area (<$250k... about $1200/month on a 30y/20% down mortgage). Might require a little TLC (pulling carpet, repainting, etc).

The thought of *minor* repairs is exciting and definitely intriguing. I love reading renovation/design blogs online... I don't know how much I'd want to do, but that sounds enticing. And much cheaper than where I'm renting now.
01-25-2009 12:54 PM
Old Sammy Offline
1st String

I Root For: truffles

New Orleans BowlDonators
IMO the driver is family. If you have kids there is a strong incentive to head for the suburbs. We lived in Montrose until the kid was about 2. The awful public schools we were zoned to and the lack of any kind of family atmosphere in the neighborhood forced us to move. Fortunately we were able to stay inside the loop (3 blocks south of the Village). If you move out you get more room for the $$$, but pay for it in unrelenting blandness.

Commute is a concern. I work on Memorial between Shepherd and the park. I work with people who commute 1 hr+ each way on 290. I couldn't do it. My commute is 15 minutes.

If the thought of paying rent and getting nothing back bothers you, buy a condo or townhouse. Or do as texd recommends - find a neighborhood inside the loop that's improving. There's an architect acquaintence of mine who's particularly fond of Woodland Heights at the moment.
01-25-2009 01:22 PM
amber34 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Woodland Heights is pricey--it's a deed-restricted neighborhood with regulations against sub-dividing lots, so you don't see the plethora of townhouses (and lower prices) that you do in other parts of the Heights, Montrose, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the neighborhood, but there's hardly anything there for under $300k, and anything under $500k is really, really small. Rice Miltary (north of Memorial between Shepherd and Westcott) is a pretty young neighborhood with tons of townhouses, but all the construction there has outpaced the infrastructure (especially roads), so I'm not as big on it. The Western and Northern parts of the Heights are also affordable, but not as nice as you go further West and/or North.

There are good options in the mid-$200s in Montrose (by which I mean anything from say Taft to Shepherd, and Allen Parkway down to Alabama), and even cheaper in the Fourth Ward, which is more of a "transitioning" neighborhood but is super convenient to downtown.

To me the issue with the 'burbs is that to get any sort of nice neighborhood for a good price, you have to go the WAY out ones (Woodlands, Kingwood, Katy, etc.), possibly with a couple exceptions. Prices in the closer-in, nicer suburbs (think Memorial Villages) reflect the fact that they're, well, closer-in and nicer.

My husband and I are super lame and haven't been to a bar in years (I exaggerate...a little), but even for us, there are big advantages to living in town: walking to Kroger/restaurants/retail, central location (not too far from either airport, theaters, sports venues, etc.), plus it's where all our friends are.
01-25-2009 02:02 PM
ausowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: New Orleans

New Orleans Bowl
My Austin perspective: buying close in and sweat equity, has worked out pretty well from a life style and financial pt of view (property appreciation and travel costs). We'll have to add on eventually, that's a downside given the initial trade off for location. Buy in the best school district or zoned area possible.

Austin's a bit of a different beast, of course, but being in close has certainly facilitated taking advantage of the city's infrastructure (parks, pools, libraries, summer camps, Ginny's Little Longhorn, etc).

Even if you're not thinking family for a few years, I'd vote for urban location over sq ft.
01-25-2009 04:07 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I think it depends on your personality and priorities.

I'm comfortable in the heart of a city.
I'm comfortable out in the country.
Each offers things that appeal to me.

What I don't like are suburbs. They seem to combine the worst aspects of city and country.

I now live in what I'm told is called an "exurb." This is further out than a suburb. Since I don't commute toward Houston, this works fine for me. I don't get to go to the Alley or Main Street Theater or the symphony or the ballet as much any more, and Astros and Rockets and Texans and Dynamo games are a bit more of a hassle, but I'm an hour away from any of those, so I can pretty much go whenever I want to. And I've got the lake and golf course (and when I was still working in Houston, a commute through HILLS). It works well for me, but if I had to go to Houston every day the cost of gasoline might be a concern.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2009 05:25 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
01-25-2009 05:24 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
OT, but not worthy of a new thread, currently on HGTV ("My House is Worth What?") they're about to talk to a San Antonio couple who gutted their house. The teaser showed the house flying a TAMU flag, but showed the couple jogging with the guy wearing a Rice sweatshirt.

ETA: The episode is called "Tale of the Quick Sale" and takes place in Phoenix, San Antonio, and we'll see what the third is.

ETA... segment starts "Ryan is an architect..." We'll see where this goes. ETA: her name's Jennifer and they're in Alamo Heights. They look like they're in their late 20s.

ETA Quick alum directory search reveals he's M.Arch. 2005.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2009 07:34 PM by texd.)
01-25-2009 07:08 PM
JOwl Offline
sum guy

I Root For: Rice

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
There's really no substitute for experience -- as young and mobile as you are, you could try different things. My first apartment after Rice was on Richmond by the beltway, and I was coming in every weekend to party in midtown/downtown with my buddies. Moved to midtown and never looked back. Since then I've gotten married, moved to Paris and moved back, and came back to midtown. Bought a townhouse in midtown we absolutely love. Not cheap, but fantastic commute to downtown (car is 8 minutes, train is 15 and walking is 20), fun to walk to good restaurants (Ibiza, Barnaby's, Farrago, Baba Yega, etc) and train it to downtown stuff (17, Artista, Disco green, theater, etc). We don't hit the bars and clubs so much anymore, but it's nice just knowing they're there.

A six month lease out in the burbs could give you a feel for the exsternalities of living out there (long commute, sanitized night life, etc), but I suppose it wouldn't be the best test since you wouldn't get the thrill of ownership. I don't know, I was never in any hurry to make a big commitment like buying a house, and I suppose my perspective may be skewed - in my first 7 years after graduating I lived in 7 different places, and living in the house the last 2+ years is as long as I've been anywhere.
01-25-2009 07:52 PM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
I live in downtown Orlando, and I have postponed buying a house because I don't want to give up my commute, which is a five-minute walk. I also like living downtown because I feel more connected to the community. If I had kids, the suburbs would have more appeal, but I think I would still try to be as close to downtown as possible. Living in a transit-oriented development is appealing; I've commuted by train before.
01-26-2009 10:06 AM
erice Offline
Special Teams

New Orleans Bowl
(01-25-2009 05:24 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I don't get to go to the Alley or Main Street Theater or the symphony or the ballet as much any more, and Astros and Rockets and Texans and Dynamo games are a bit more of a hassle, but I'm an hour away from any of those, so I can pretty much go whenever I want to.

Hey, HEY, what the...? You're worried about the Astros, Rockets, Texans, Dynamo, even the freakin' Ballet... but where are the Owls in that list?? Get your priorities straight, man! 04-jawdrop
01-26-2009 11:13 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-26-2009 11:13 AM)erice Wrote:  
(01-25-2009 05:24 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I don't get to go to the Alley or Main Street Theater or the symphony or the ballet as much any more, and Astros and Rockets and Texans and Dynamo games are a bit more of a hassle, but I'm an hour away from any of those, so I can pretty much go whenever I want to.

Hey, HEY, what the...? You're worried about the Astros, Rockets, Texans, Dynamo, even the freakin' Ballet... but where are the Owls in that list?? Get your priorities straight, man! 04-jawdrop

Hey, read what I said, I don't go to them as much any more. Nothing about going to see the OWLS any less. Missed a couple of football games last fall, but only because I was out of town. I haven't gone to many mid-week basketball games since I quit keeping stats. I do hope to go to more baseball games this spring.
01-26-2009 11:21 AM
75Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I live in the south exurbs and Owl 69/70/75 lives in the north exurbs. I live in the same city I live in, Angleton, so I am not doing much extra driving. One disadvange is that I go to fewer Rice and other events than I did when I lived in Houston. I am now living in a house instead of an apartment. I agree with 69/70/75 that surburbs have the worst of both worlds. I have ashort drive where I am at to get to the beach and bay fishing.

(01-25-2009 05:24 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think it depends on your personality and priorities.

I'm comfortable in the heart of a city.
I'm comfortable out in the country.
Each offers things that appeal to me.

What I don't like are suburbs. They seem to combine the worst aspects of city and country.

I now live in what I'm told is called an "exurb." This is further out than a suburb. Since I don't commute toward Houston, this works fine for me. I don't get to go to the Alley or Main Street Theater or the symphony or the ballet as much any more, and Astros and Rockets and Texans and Dynamo games are a bit more of a hassle, but I'm an hour away from any of those, so I can pretty much go whenever I want to. And I've got the lake and golf course (and when I was still working in Houston, a commute through HILLS). It works well for me, but if I had to go to Houston every day the cost of gasoline might be a concern.
01-26-2009 06:42 PM
ShockerBob Offline
SHOCKERS

I Root For: the SHOCKER
The Parliament Awards
(01-25-2009 10:19 AM)ArmyChick07 Wrote:  I'm curious as to people's opinions on where to live in Houston. I just moved to Westheimer, close to the coffee shops/resale stores inside the loop, and although I love it, according to my coworkers, I'm paying as much rent as I would be paying a mortgage outside of the loop.

I like the idea of buying a house sometime in the next few years (baby steps: gradating from Rice again would be necessary) but if I do, I'm not sure where I'd want to live. In fact, the whole concept seems daunting.

Opinions?

Lived in the Burbs and in the inner loop for over 5 years.

I would live down in the city until I had kids. Until then...get a flat/loft imo. Then get a nice spacious house when you have a few.
01-27-2009 09:49 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
As a swinging single, you'd be interested in the maintenance free aspect of townhome living no matter the neighborhood. In the right community, your monthly fee is a modest trade off for amenities like swimming pools, tennis / BB courts and of course all the exterior maintenance. I haven't mown or edged since 1991.

Post Ike, the management company had inspectors comb the entire complex from stem to stern. What was damaged was fixed immediately. There are no blue tarps on our rooflines.

All this leaves more time for the good things in life like Rice events, Zummos and tailgates.
01-29-2009 01:52 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
OK, ArmyChick - when you get your house, are you going to want part A or part B from the following commercial.

I don't think you need to know Dutch to understand it.
01-29-2009 11:10 PM
Advertisement

ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

The Parliament Awards
(01-29-2009 11:10 PM)gsloth Wrote:  OK, ArmyChick - when you get your house, are you going to want part A or part B from the following commercial.

I don't think you need to know Dutch to understand it.

Ah, says the video has been removed! Dang.
01-29-2009 11:22 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(01-29-2009 01:52 PM)Da.Owl Wrote:  As a swinging single, you'd be interested in the maintenance free aspect of townhome living no matter the neighborhood. In the right community, your monthly fee is a modest trade off for amenities like swimming pools, tennis / BB courts and of course all the exterior maintenance. I haven't mown or edged since 1991.

Post Ike, the management company had inspectors comb the entire complex from stem to stern. What was damaged was fixed immediately. There are no blue tarps on our rooflines.

All this leaves more time for the good things in life like Rice events, Zummos and tailgates.

I have spent the last 37 years in a rural setting, but as the city has grown out to me and now threatens to engulf me, the plusses of this location have diminished and the minuses have grown. I find myself considering the townhome lifestyle and the high rise condo lifestyle. Odd that I find myself as a senior citizen considering some of the same choices as the younger people on this board and for many of the same reasons.

Hard to beat my commute, though. Four seconds or so, depending on my knee that day. Down the stairs and a right turn into what was called the "dining room" in my married days, although I think it was actually used for dining about three times. I think a better name would have been "the dining furniture storage room". One of the few offices I have seen with a chandelier-type fixture for the lighting.

My only advice, AC, is to base your choices on the life you want to live rather than tax advantages or investment return. Good luck.
01-30-2009 02:25 AM
ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

The Parliament Awards
(01-30-2009 02:25 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(01-29-2009 01:52 PM)Da.Owl Wrote:  As a swinging single, you'd be interested in the maintenance free aspect of townhome living no matter the neighborhood. In the right community, your monthly fee is a modest trade off for amenities like swimming pools, tennis / BB courts and of course all the exterior maintenance. I haven't mown or edged since 1991.

I have spent the last 37 years in a rural setting, but as the city has grown out to me and now threatens to engulf me, the plusses of this location have diminished and the minuses have grown. I find myself considering the townhome lifestyle and the high rise condo lifestyle. Odd that I find myself as a senior citizen considering some of the same choices as the younger people on this board and for many of the same reasons.

Hard to beat my commute, though. Four seconds or so, depending on my knee that day. Down the stairs and a right turn into what was called the "dining room" in my married days, although I think it was actually used for dining about three times. I think a better name would have been "the dining furniture storage room". One of the few offices I have seen with a chandelier-type fixture for the lighting.

My only advice, AC, is to base your choices on the life you want to live rather than tax advantages or investment return. Good luck.

I did a housing project for studio last semester- our demographic research showed that many folks who are considered "empty nester" age are starting to look for a less-hassled lifestyle, even if that means paying more to get it. I don't blame 'em. I have no desire to go home every weekend and spend 3 hours mowing 6 acres, like my parents do.
01-30-2009 10:09 AM
RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(01-30-2009 02:25 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

And with this advice, perhaps we need to start (renew?) the campaign to rename OO. In deference to history, I'd suggest Older, Wiser Lemur. ("OWL")
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2009 10:15 AM by RiceDoc.)
01-30-2009 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.